Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which router for QOS and N & G devices?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Which router for QOS and N & G devices?

Old 13-05-2012, 02:56   #16
UserOfVirgin
Inactive

UserOfVirgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Which router for QOS and N & G devices?

So is it better to just forget QOS and stick with the Superhub?
UserOfVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2012, 02:59   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

no
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 03:13   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

lol
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 11:16   #19
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

Is QoS hard to setup when traffic shaping/or speed limits take place? You have to tell the router your max bandwidth but if that keeps changing won't it render it useless?
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 18:01   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Gargoyle adapts automatically.
Old 13-05-2012, 18:11   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I know I am late coming in but you should have a look at the Linksys range; very reliable and rock solid performance and packed full of features.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 12:54   #22
UserOfVirgin
Inactive

UserOfVirgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I know I am late coming in but you should have a look at the Linksys range; very reliable and rock solid performance and packed full of features.
Any in particular?

And what features them stand out?
UserOfVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 14:57   #23
dave.m
cf.addict

dave.m is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dush View Post
Is QoS hard to setup when traffic shaping/or speed limits take place? You have to tell the router your max bandwidth but if that keeps changing won't it render it useless?
There are builds of tomato with default QOS rules (look for Toastman) that might be ok for you out of the box or at least show you how to create/tweak them (even the default tomato has some rules already set up, they're not that hard to understand imo).

As for when/if STM kicks in I use the "Virgin Media UK STM Monitoring Script" which adjusts the max upload/download bandwidth to whatever tier you're on.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 16:38   #24
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserOfVirgin View Post
Any in particular?

And what features them stand out?
I found the WRT610N to be very good (simultaneous G and N) with half decent Qos, granted it was a couple of years ago but I paid £170 for mine and found it really easy to use.

Just had a quick mooch on fleebay and found one on there for next to nowt

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/26102...d=342619296021

Gets my vote anyway
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 17:28   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Everything that does N does simultaneous G and N. I think you mean simultaneous A and G, aka simultaneous dual-band.
Old 14-05-2012, 19:44   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the E1000 is your entry model, the E2000 has gigabit ports which is the minimum model you will want as far as future proofing goes. The E3000 which I have got does simultaneous dual band, has a usb port so I can attach an external hdd and through the router config set it up as a media server over the lan or external ftp server or something. I cant remember what is so awesome about the e4200 bit i know 2 peeps who have got them and they swear by them, as I do my 3000. I have always had linksys routers and they have been top notch for performance and reliability. Although they come with a whole raft of features and configurations you can customise, you can also install tomato on them which is even better (although I dont need it myself)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 22:39   #27
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Everything that does N does simultaneous G and N. I think you mean simultaneous A and G, aka simultaneous dual-band.
You might be right qas

just copied this from the Cisco website

Features:*
Two bands of Wireless-N for high-performance wireless entertainment
Media Optimized Networking technology provides smoother streaming of high-definition video, music or gaming
Storage Link provides USB connectivity for hard drives and portable memory

I had mine set up to prioritise one network over the other, so the wife messing around on FB and Youtube didn't affect my gaming too much
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote