Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Absolute Shambles

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Getting Tivo - can I keep my V+ HD box for a bit?

Old 16-06-2011, 22:40   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Getting Tivo - can I keep my V+ HD box for a bit?

Hi all,
As I'm having Tivo installed tomorrow morning I'm currently trying to back up as much as I can from my V+ HD box. What would be ideal as I do have a couple of concerns about Tivo (no reminders and reported bad quality on SD through Scart) would be to keep my V+ HD box for the 7 day cooling off period. That way if I did change back I could use the same box with my recordings on rather than have a new one installed. If after the 7 days I decide to stick with Tivo I'd then return the box to the local VM store possibly or a VM van?
I don't really intend to have it installed to use in another room as I don't really watch TV in rooms other than the living room.
I called VM installation team and got through to a foreign call centre where the bloke didn't understand me as usual and I had to talk very slowly and simply and still don't think he understood what I was asking. He said he'd call me back in 20 minutes after speaking to his supervisor but never did...
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2011, 23:04   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Getting Tivo - can I keep my V+ HD box for a bit?

You can keep your V+HD as an additional box, which would either be a paid option, or you may qualify for it for free

You can't keep it as a alternative in case you don't like TiVo. You get a 28 day Money Back Guarantee with TiVo anyway. If you change your mind I think you can get swapped back to V+HD for no cost and get all the TiVo fees refunded
Old 17-06-2011, 00:24   #3
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

Cool, cheers BenMcr, so if it was to qualify as free would that mean no monthly charge and it would be used in another room? I'm busy burning loads of stuff to disc at the moment so hopefully will have backed up all the stuff I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You get a 28 day Money Back Guarantee with TiVo anyway. If you change your mind I think you can get swapped back to V+HD for no cost and get all the TiVo fees refunded
Excellent, is it definitely 28 days as I heard it was 7 days somewhere else? That would be extra peace of mind if so.
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 10:55   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Normally as it's a box upgrade it would be 7 days, but I think VM have decied to extend it to 28 just to make sure everyone is happy
Old 17-06-2011, 23:24   #5
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

As long as you are an XL customer you can have your V+ relocated to another room for free. Thats free install and no monthly fee.
Its a brilliant offer.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 23:40   #6
Another_Account
Inactive

Another_Account is an unknown quantity at this point

I am getting TiVo into tomorrow to replace my V+HD Box (as for some reason the red button on Sky Sports doesn't work - keeps crashing)

I already have multi room with a Standard HD Box and as TiVo is coming in I obtained/purcahsed a new Standard HD Box to add to a third room - as I am handing my V+HD Box will Virigin automatically activate one of the HD Boxes to become V+ or should I indicate to them that I am entitled to it
Another_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 23:47   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Obtained...???
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:15   #8
Another_Account
Inactive

Used the term obtained as if I pay £49 for a box I am not really purchasing it - is is not still the property of Virgin? or is that just TiVo?

Paying £130 plus for the TiVo plus the extra box so purchased may be the required term.
Old 18-06-2011, 08:48   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Account View Post
Used the term obtained as if I pay £49 for a box I am not really purchasing it - is is not still the property of Virgin? or is that just TiVo?

Paying £130 plus for the TiVo plus the extra box so purchased may be the required term.
All modems and set top boxes including TiVo remain the property of Virginmedia at all times which is part of the reason that you never have to pay for an engineer visit or replacement kit.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 11:32   #10
Another_Account
Inactive

Thanks to the questioning of my terminology my question hasn't been answered - is this something you can advise on?

Cheers in advance
Old 18-06-2011, 14:45   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Account View Post

ALL TV STBs remain property of VM, not matter what is paid for them to be installed
Old 18-06-2011, 15:36   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

That point aside, I'm not sure what you are asking. If by "Standard HD Box" you mean a V HD box, this can't be activated to become V+. The V+ is totally different hardware.

Also, are you aware there is no Sky Sports Red Button at all on the TiVo at the moment?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 19:16   #13
Another_Account
Inactive

My existing V+ box is gubbed - the red button sky sports does not work, have to reset.

When I upgraded to VIP50 I got another HD Box which they said could be converted to record at a cost. Now I have ordered TiVo (see next thread for shambles) I asked thay they replace my V+ Box because it's gubbed and I paid the extra for a new box for a new room. As per above an XL customer is entitled to a Recording service in addition to TiVo - can I convert one of my boxes?
Old 18-06-2011, 19:48   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Getting really confused as to what boxes you have now and what you want lol
Old 18-06-2011, 21:49   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Me too. Can you explain exactly what boxes you've got?

Just for reference, this is a V HD box. It's HD, but it can't record.
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/i/product_...0x330-v_hd.jpg

The V+ box looks like this.
http://www.latestgadgets.co.uk/wp-co...a-VBox-HD1.jpg
or this
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3...vis33ewel6.jpg

Hopefully you know what the TiVo looks like by now
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote