Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Old 13-04-2011, 17:55   #46
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road
Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Virtually everyone I have seen is brown and many discolour in the sun of course yours may be different because of the original franchise.
Complete opposite here, most I've seen are grey. Seen a few brown, I'll keep the grey thanks
Helps to say most people in my area use cable, but a lot are changing to ADSL because of price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcity View Post
You lot are lucky. When mine was installed the engineer drilled through a water pipe!
Ouch, that must have been horrific.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2011, 19:24   #47
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Ex telewest are grey
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:50   #48
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
But then the installer would have to do all that work in a thorny bush

Easier to paint it the color of your wall.

Next time hopefully your there to oversee the install
That's the first thing I though when I saw the pics... the install looks fine otherwise.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:
Looks like a normal install to me
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 20:45   #49
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Ex telewest are grey
Brown in my Ex Telewest area and in most places around the Northwest.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:11   #50
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Brown in my Ex Telewest area and in most places around the Northwest.
Legacy telewest omni boxes are grey then.....
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:14   #51
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Legacy telewest omni boxes are grey then.....
In your area but in Liverpool who were Cablenorthwest in 1993 and eventually Telewest then Virginmedia they have been brown, possibly whatever the local stores bought from the supplier.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:21   #52
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post
Some good points, some not so good.

Never the less here is the picture

The brown termination box should be on the far right of the window, then the telephone cable runs above the window, then down on the right to connect the box.

Anyway, possibly I have higher standards but Virgin should carry a couple of colours to best match the house. If it were to cost a few quid extra, I would happily pay it to avoide the horrible install.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
has anyone mentioned yet that you didnt seem that bothered when whoever installed whatever it is coming down from your roof into your window frame was installed ?? lol

Also you windows are a mess they need repair /replacing is that putty falling out of the bottom??
Old 13-04-2011, 22:13   #53
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

ex Telewest franchise area here and got a grey omnibox - installed about 18 months ago - complete with Virgin logo molded into the plastic. Not sure if it's relevent but it's a Virgin Media business install. They seemed to take a lot of care with the install, even covering the siamese cable where it come up from being buried with a metal U shaped cover etc.

Neighbour recently had VM (residential) installed - brown onmibox except there is no cover so the splitter and wires are all exposed. He's been calling CS for weeks to try to get them to come back and put a cover on it.

Anyone installer here got a brown omibox cover they could send so I could let him have to put on himself? Postage refunded :-)
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:40   #54
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
has anyone mentioned yet that you didnt seem that bothered when whoever installed whatever it is coming down from your roof into your window frame was installed ?? lol

Also you windows are a mess they need repair /replacing is that putty falling out of the bottom??

Firstly the house is a renovation project and we fix it up as and when we have cash. The front window is one of 3 we have not been able to replace as we have a young daughter and child minding costs a bomb so it has to wait a little longer. Also it is not putty on the windowsill, but paint chips dislodged from the work yesterday.

Secondly the cable has been cut back (although it is not as obtrusive as a black cable and brown box on yellow background and never bothered me as much)

Thirdly the cable was in place when we bought the house.

See, even though your post had a condescending tone to it there are reasons why things are like they are.

Perhaps you should give your next post a little more thought next time?

Just honest advice.
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:50   #55
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

See, you post a photo of your house and suddenly it's open season on Jason's pad ...

I still think that the install as done is reasonably neat, but if they stood and listened to your request for where the cables should go, and then totally ignored you, you have grounds for complaint.

Have you pursued it further as yet?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:07   #56
Jason1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
See, you post a photo of your house and suddenly it's open season on Jason's pad ...

I still think that the install as done is reasonably neat, but if they stood and listened to your request for where the cables should go, and then totally ignored you, you have grounds for complaint.

Have you pursued it further as yet?
Hi Chris

Yes I left a complaint, however they said it can take up to 5 days for the 'install support team' to get back to me.

Maybe I am a little bit cynical, but it would seem the only reason that a 5 day time frame would be given is because of the volume of complaints they have to deal with.

Hopefully I am wrong!

Also no one at Virgin seems to know who deals with what problem. I was on the phone for 45 min and was transferred to 6 or 7 different people in that time.

I have heard that Virgin customer services is pretty poor and my experiance is confiming it, but to be fair I have heard the same about Sky.

Seems like it is a general UK thing where large companies don't really care about their customers. Maybe we need more competition so that they are forced to tidy up their act, to maintain our business.

I personally would love more of a option than Sky/Virgin for a decent TV service. (I realise there are a couple other options available but not with the same channel variety)
Old 14-04-2011, 09:04   #57
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Maybe I am a little bit cynical, but it would seem the only reason that a 5 day time frame would be given is because of the volume of complaints they have to deal with.
Seriously? You don't think it's because they might have other things to do as well? Every company I have ever dealt with has had a "turn-around" time for dealing with any correspondence. One train company I recently had to deal with had a "within 20 days" response time!

VM certainly aren't perfect, but I cannot believe the stupidity of some of the "complaints" levelled at them. (That was a general comment and not aimed specifically at you Jason!)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:35   #58
Jason1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Seriously? You don't think it's because they might have other things to do as well? Every company I have ever dealt with has had a "turn-around" time for dealing with any correspondence. One train company I recently had to deal with had a "within 20 days" response time!

VM certainly aren't perfect, but I cannot believe the stupidity of some of the "complaints" levelled at them. (That was a general comment and not aimed specifically at you Jason!)
Wow, 20 days is crazy. I can see yout point if it were a general enquiry helpline. The number I called though was specifically for installation problems, so I assume this is all they take care of.

Regardless, I will wait the 5 days and see what happens and be gratefull it is not 20 days
Old 14-04-2011, 09:48   #59
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
In your area but in Liverpool who were Cablenorthwest in 1993 and eventually Telewest then Virginmedia they have been brown, possibly whatever the local stores bought from the supplier.
My Omni box is grey as installed by Comtel taken by NTL and now Virgin, Virgin tacked a brown cover over the cable while I was out on the wall which looks horrible.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 10:17   #60
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Wow, 20 days is crazy. I can see yout point if it were a general enquiry helpline. The number I called though was specifically for installation problems, so I assume this is all they take care of.

Regardless, I will wait the 5 days and see what happens and be gratefull it is not 20 days
Be greatful you dont have to complain to Fly BE... 16 weeks turnaround time!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote