Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Resistance 2 Beta Sign-up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Backing up PS3 to laptop

Old 19-09-2008, 14:35   #1
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Backing up PS3 to laptop

Does anyone know the best way to save the data to a laptop?
As far as I know you can do it on a USB stick, however I have used a lot of memory and know USB stick will not be big enough.

Is it easy to do?

I would hate to lose my saves and photos (the only copies I have) if it was to creash.

TIA
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2008, 14:41   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Backing up PS3 to laptop

Buy a cheap 4gb/8gb one... have you got alot more than that?

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

or how about buying a usb hdd...? That should act exactly like a usb stick but with far more capacity...
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 14:48   #3
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Buy a cheap 4gb/8gb one... have you got alot more than that?

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

or how about buying a usb hdd...? That should act exactly like a usb stick but with far more capacity...
I have a 8gb one but I'm sure I have loads more than that on PS3.

I have about 700 photos + my saves.
Old 19-09-2008, 16:55   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

I have over 1500 photos at 2MP here on my PC. Total file size? 150Mb. I think you'll be okay
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:46   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

You *should* be able to check how much space your ps3 hdd has left on it and plan your backup accordingly
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:49   #6
rumblegod
Inactive

rumblegod is an unknown quantity at this point

just transfer it over the wireless network to your laptop
rumblegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 15:01   #7
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblegod View Post
just transfer it over the wireless network to your laptop
How does the lap top pick it up? Will it be in my computer part as a driver?
Old 22-09-2008, 20:53   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

It can't.

While the PS3 can see your computer (when sharing media files via UPnP e.g. with Windows Media Player 11), your computer cannot see your PS3's files over the network.

Have you checked to see how much stuff you have in total?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 08:54   #9
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
It can't.

While the PS3 can see your computer (when sharing media files via UPnP e.g. with Windows Media Player 11), your computer cannot see your PS3's files over the network.

Have you checked to see how much stuff you have in total?
Thanks guys for all replies

I did it the time consuming and time consuming way of using my USB stick and doing it in parts.

Took an hour!!

How do you see how much space you have left on the PS3?
Old 24-09-2008, 04:10   #10
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post

How do you see how much space you have left on the PS3?
move to this on XMB

and press x then scroll down to here

press x again

there you go size data.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:49   #11
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
move to this on XMB

and press x then scroll down to here

press x again

there you go size data.
Wow thanks mate, rep but I have to spread