Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | free program to open .pub files

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Which laptop-choice of two....?

Old 19-08-2007, 18:21   #1
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one
Which laptop-choice of two....?

Ive narrowed it down..
its probably

this
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=399825

or this

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=409677

I suppose the debate is about Trurion against Core 2 duo intel and also the reliability and build quality of Sony versus Fujitsu

All comments welcome,

ta

joe
Vlad_Dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2007, 18:24   #2
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: Which laptop-choice of two....?

Plus the Fuji has twice the memory.
Old 19-08-2007, 18:26   #3
zing_deleted

but the c2d is a c2d and has more mhz + you can add ram
Old 19-08-2007, 18:50   #4
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one

Hi peeps,
I am the OP. I notice the full spec for the sony says core duo and not core 2 duo

see here

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ry=VN+N+Series

I'm sure this has been discussed before,but whats the diff between core duo and core2duo and how does this stack up against the Fujitsu Turion i.e coreduo v turion?

ta again
Vlad_Dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:19   #5
nicke261192
Inactive

Services: 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, XL TV, L Broadband, L Phone, Sony Erricson C902 Vodafone Contract
nicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to nicke261192

I like looks the Sony is very nice !
nicke261192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:20   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/42416...book-15-4-wscr

If you don't mind dells
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:33   #7
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

We just bought the Sony in Costco (about 30 quid less) - initial views, very nice machine - pretty fast for the money, well spec'd, very good screen.

We were actually looking for a present for my other half's sister - and we ended up buying two!

I don't know if the Fujitsu has this too (most lappys do these days I think), but the Sony has the shiny black screen, which is better for photos and videos. Looks like both machines have built-in card-readers - the Sony only has slots for SD, MMC and of course Memory Sticks.

I know it was a long time ago, but my old company bought Fujitsu laptops for our sales team...about 20 of them. Within two years most of them had some sort of serious or terminal problem. As I said, long time ago...but that kind of experience does cloud my judjement in a brand.

But I've had the old Vaio (the one this new one is replacing) for over eight years, and been very happy with it. The new one is very smart looking, if a little plasticy to the feel...but I'm very happy to buy Sony again for the laptop.

Hope this helps.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 20:00   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
We just bought the Sony in Costco (about 30 quid less) - initial views, very nice machine - pretty fast for the money, well spec'd, very good screen.

We were actually looking for a present for my other half's sister - and we ended up buying two!

I don't know if the Fujitsu has this too (most lappys do these days I think), but the Sony has the shiny black screen, which is better for photos and videos. Looks like both machines have built-in card-readers - the Sony only has slots for SD, MMC and of course Memory Sticks.

I know it was a long time ago, but my old company bought Fujitsu laptops for our sales team...about 20 of them. Within two years most of them had some sort of serious or terminal problem. As I said, long time ago...but that kind of experience does cloud my judjement in a brand.

But I've had the old Vaio (the one this new one is replacing) for over eight years, and been very happy with it. The new one is very smart looking, if a little plasticy to the feel...but I'm very happy to buy Sony again for the laptop.

Hope this helps.
My dad had a vaio that died after a few years...
Mind you was only a celeron 600mhz so was probably a low end one when he bought it....

That said i've had a couple ancient toshibas that went on for ages yet i have a p4 one thats had to be repaired once and has probably cooked ram (i can't proove it cooked it but it died one day and it had been getting very hot)

I think its luck of The draw more than anything else, sometimes you get a good one that goes on and on and sometimes you get a badone with dies fairly quickly.

some consipricy theorists might argue that they put Warrenty chips in modern electronics to make them die just after the warrenty runs out... (i do sometimes wander)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 20:03   #9
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
My dad had a vaio that died after a few years...
Mind you was only a celeron 600mhz so was probably a low end one when he bought it....

That said i've had a couple ancient toshibas that went on for ages yet i have a p4 one thats had to be repaired once and has probably cooked ram (i can't proove it cooked it but it died one day and it had been getting very hot)

I think its luck of The draw more than anything else, sometimes you get a good one that goes on and on and sometimes you get a badone with dies fairly quickly.

some consipricy theorists might argue that they put Warrenty chips in modern electronics to make them die just after the warrenty runs out... (i do sometimes wander)

If that was the case then everyone should invoke their statutory rights over the warranty and simply state its not lasted a reasonable amount of time and threaten court action