Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local elections 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Local elections 2012
View Poll Results: Your voting intentions
Labour 14 26.42%
Conservative 8 15.09%
Liberal Democrat 6 11.32%
Nationalist 1 1.89%
UKIP 10 18.87%
Other 5 9.43%
None of the above! 9 16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2012, 13:42   #61
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Local elections 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
The people in local elections have voiced there opinion of what is happening in this country today.

The people are fed up with ' so called promises' that have not been kept, I firmly believe that there will be a motion in parliament of no confidence in Cameron or Clegg, and you must remember Clegg was totally humilated by the voter, can you imagine what the Lib Dems must think of him.

Since the coalition came into power, they have introduced more stupid taxes that ARE effecting the people, The pasty tax, granny tax, this is an easy way that the government make money out of us.

The next tax on the agenda will be the Sandwich tax, the the British breakfast tax.

NOT once has Cameron or Clegg said sorry to the British public for what we are going through - this is why the public will keep kicking them where it hurts.
English breakfast if you don't mind [sorry to get all nationalist ] but never get in the way of a man's brekkers
Old 06-05-2012, 14:20   #62
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Well the pasty tax is the result of EU VAT policy.

The granny tax is emotive nonsense banged on about by newspapers as pensioners are about the only people who sill buy them. Pensioners are not the poorest group in the population and taking wealth into account are a very long way from being the poorest group. If they desire to hoard that wealth to pass on to their family that is their prerogative, however this doesn't mean they should be taxed on income at a lower rate than the rest of us.

EDIT: Incidentally before the usual nonsense is banged on about on how they've paid tax all their life, etc, etc, I'm 33 and have already paid a lot of tax, doesn't mean I get to pay so much of it then get my income tax free, my goods VAT free, etc. Neither time paying tax nor amount of tax paid are relevant.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 18:18   #63
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Ignitionnet

Quote:
The granny tax is emotive nonsense banged on about by newspapers as pensioners are about the only people who sill buy them. Pensioners are not the poorest group in the population and taking wealth into account are a very long way from being the poorest group. If they desire to hoard that wealth to pass on to their family that is their prerogative, however this doesn't mean they should be taxed on income at a lower rate than the rest of us.
The somewhat modest increase in the tax allowance called the age allowance has and was historically applied to represent an allowance for the fact that the vast majority of pensioners who actually get enough to pay tax are locked on fixed incomes.

Even that tax allowance is reduced on a pro rata basis for any pensioner earning or receiving over £25,400 p.a. so that if any pensioner was fortunate enough to receive the heady levels of income that you purport to receive, they would have long since seen any advantage offered to those, much worse off vanish.

Quote:
Incidentally before the usual nonsense is banged on about on how they've paid tax all their life, etc, etc, I'm 33 and have already paid a lot of tax, doesn't mean I get to pay so much of it then get my income tax free, my goods VAT free, etc. Neither time paying tax nor amount of tax paid are relevant.
Throughout the entirety of my working life, I and everybody else in any age group you wish to attack paid the going percentage rate on money earned. The big number you see in the deductions column of you salary slip is probably no different to the same percentage hit I was seeing at your age.

BTW nice to see you back ranting on about the favourable treatment of the oldies (even though you are wrong). Perhaps you should consider for a moment just how difficult it is for some oldies to get a decent return on those great mountains of cash without losing a fortune to inflation before seeing the remaining proceeds decimated by tax. Life can be hard but we are all in it together but some of us, with life experience, just grin and bear it.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 20:06   #64
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
BTW nice to see you back ranting on about the favourable treatment of the oldies (even though you are wrong). Perhaps you should consider for a moment just how difficult it is for some oldies to get a decent return on those great mountains of cash without losing a fortune to inflation before seeing the remaining proceeds decimated by tax. Life can be hard but we are all in it together but some of us, with life experience, just grin and bear it.
It wasn't a rant it was stating the blindingly obvious, that the 'granny tax' furore is ridiculous in the context both of other changes and the bigger picture but if you would care for a rant I'd be happy to oblige.

That is, quite frankly, complete ********. From the additional money we pay for goods and services to fund the shortfalls in the final salary pensions we could never have through to the property market that we're frozen out of by later generations using this essential as their pension through to the increased taxes we get to pay for pensions and healthcare for the retired and soon-to-be retired, who in many cases have considerable wealth tied up in property we're hosed.

I'm just outside the generation that is going to be the first in a very long time to be no better off than their parents, I'm relatively fortunate. You're probably in a nice sizeable house, that in real terms cost a fraction of its 'value' now, when you get sick visiting an NHS better funded than ever before, on a state pension getting one 'triple locked' to ensure it outpaces social protection and welfare, and you even, regardless of wealth, get funding for heating bills.

I don't know you personally but your generation is a generation of parasites who sucked the wealth from generations below both through political power and increasing unearned wealth and complain when they have the temerity to demand the same opportunities at wealth and happiness.

People are forced to wait, and wait, and wait to have children because they don't have stable housing, they're too busy paying for your pensions with taxes and then with rent, when housing supply comes up as an issue your generation is out there protesting about having 'your' green spaces taken away, clearly all your housing was built on 100% brownfield, right?

Those of course are the lucky ones, many have flat shares and minimum wage jobs to look forward to.

I'm deeply moved that savings took a hit due to inflation, I also couldn't care less, that's how things go sometimes and it's been going on for a relatively limited time. Previous generations had to manage with it, mine and the below won't in many cases even get the opportunity to collect wealth for a good part of our lives due to having to pass huge swathes of our income up the age chain in rent and will be waiting on yours to shuffle off its mortal coil so that we can finally get a share of the wealth you're hoarding.

Here's hoping that my generation treats the ones below us with somewhat more consideration. I suspect we will given we're enjoying what happens when a generation or two decide to consider younger ones walking cashpoints.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89d1634c-7...#axzz1u76NtqF6

Quote:
The Institute for Fiscal Studies noted that the proposed phasing out of the income tax age allowance was a small tax increase for most pensioners – a group that has seen the fastest rise in living standards of any over the past decade.
Quote:
In the annual post-Budget briefing, Paul Johnson, director of the IFS, unveiled calculations showing pensioners would gain on average 0.5 per cent of their incomes from tax and benefit changes being introduced next month, while Mr Osborne’s freezing of the age allowance, starting in 2013, would reduce their incomes by 0.25 per cent by April 2014.

“This looks like a relatively modest tax increase on a group hitherto well sheltered from tax and benefit changes,” Mr Johnson said.
Clearly Mr Johnson is also wrong about this favourable treatment.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/826aeefe-6...#axzz1u76NtqF6

Quote:
The latest generation to enter the labour market is doing no better than those that came before, while living standards among people of retirement age are much higher than their forebears’, this interactive graphic of new FT research shows.

The figures are adjusted to take account of family size and uprated to 2009-10 prices. The research underestimates the shift in prosperity towards older people in Britain because it takes no account of housing costs, which are higher for many young people.
I didn't even go into the welfare reform and the impact that will be having on young families and indeed forcing single people to house share until age 35 while leaving a certain other generation basically untouched.

EDIT: I think I will follow in the example of many from your generation though and simply ignore you. I appreciate the truth is unpleasant and it's always better to hear what you want to and read what you want to.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:29   #65
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Ignitionnet,

>>EDIT: I think I will follow in the example of many from your generation though and simply ignore you. I appreciate the truth is unpleasant and it's always better to hear what you want to and read what you want to.<<

Perhaps that may be a good idea but don't expect me to reciprocate.

I do not understand your point of view and guess that you will never understand mine.

You and the article authors from whom you have quoted in the past always allocate blame for their circumstances to others. There are many sayings regarding blame allocation and should you choose, you can pick the most appropriate.

What an amusing rant you had.

Of course my house was built on a green field site and in retrospect it was wrong so my neighbours and I fight tooth and nail when there is any threat to the green and pleasant land over which we look. Nimbyism is indeed alive and well.

I do live in a sizeable house and am pleased to have neighbours who are professionals probably on similar income levels to yours. As I have stated before, I care not what the value of my house is as I shall not be selling it. It is my home, nothing more and nothing less. If somebody stupid enough to pay the going market rate eventually pays silly money for it it will be the market forces at play and I guess you won't be in the queue to make my children richer than they already are.

Parasites is a little rich. My children and grandchildren will enjoy a trickle down torrent at some point which if you are not eventually going to be so fortunate will give you something else to blame. Maybe the Conservatives will get in next time and up inheritance tax thresholds to a million per parent and then you can really rant.

I do not recall that you had to wait to have a child (given your age and previously quoted age of your child). You choose to live where you do and thereby pay the going rent. I doubt that whatever you live in would remain empty for long so guess that your complaints about market forces are a contortion of what you are part of so as to make some ludicrous point. You made a choice and if rent decimates your income, move

I have one of those final salary pensions complete with indexing but I paid for it, in the manner that I believe you do. Fortunately I paid during a period when compounding really turned small money into big money as though by magic. Even with compounding it took longer than you have been alive to create a sizeable pot. If your are referring to unfunded pensions which are a Ponzi scheme the I suggest you take that matter up with the governmental parties.

Nice to see that you are unconcerned about poor rich pensioners losing so much of their unearned income to inflation. I take comfort from the fact that interest rates hold up the housing market, at the expense of investors which keeps my children out of the negative equity of a housing crash. It makes no difference to me if the housing market crashes but it would to my children and the unfortunate fact that it doesn't help you is unfortunate.

So much for the fun of responding to you and knowing that you probably will not read the reply. I really do think its pathetic that you try to garner support from young people affected by the recession in desperately unfortunate ways when you have proudly alluded to an income approaching 4X the national average. I have sympathy for those people which I find elusive for your arguments.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58   #66
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Its nice to know when people get anger off there chest, Things will get worse under the coalition.

I personally feel that Clegg along with Cameron should resign, and let someone take over, there reputation has hit an all time low.

If the coalition has to continue, then someone else should jump in, l cannot imagine for one minute the top brass of the Tory party enjoying this 'mini' election one bit.

ALL Cameron keeps saying that he must continue with the cuts, to cut the problems that were ' inherited' from the previous government. All he is doing is saving money from US, but giving money to lost causes.

Cameron and Clegg got hit where it hurts, If they continue with what they are doing, then they will get hit even harder.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:59   #67
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

I personally feel that Clegg along with Cameron should resign, and let someone take over, there reputation has hit an all time low.
Who do you suggest Arthur

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:29   #68
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I'm not sure you'd like the alternatives Arthur, they'd involve the more right-wing Conservatives doing their thing more.

That'd mean deeper cuts to spending, labour market liberalisation and tax cuts.
Old 07-05-2012, 13:42   #69
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'm not sure you'd like the alternatives Arthur, they'd involve the more right-wing Conservatives doing their thing more.

That'd mean deeper cuts to spending, labour market liberalisation and tax cuts.
To be honest i expect Arthur to toe the party line and say Labour

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:26   #70
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Sirus, you are wrong. IF we are to have this coalition for another two years or so, then you must have a leader that we think of several things.

To repair the party after the hammering in the election, you have to have a man or woman who will put the people first before money, You have to have a person who will rebuild the party.

I do not have a clue to name as you know l am not a Tory supporter or a Lib Dem fan, but you have to have someone who will bring the party together and take on Milliband.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 17:30   #71
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Nadine Dorries?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote