Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 13-06-2017, 12:41   #151
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, all Hub 3.0s are technically capable of being part of Virgin Media WiFi.

Some customers will have opted their own Hub out of providing the SSID.
Thanks Ben. Is it just SH3s? On the Android VM wi-fi app map, there's local coverage for me showing pink circles and I can get internet in those places. So there're all SH3s? Are SH2s used as well now? Just wondering if mine is contributing. Thanks
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2017, 13:05   #152
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Currently it's only the Hub 3.0s.

The plan was to add the Super Hub 2ac kit as well, but there were some issues with that firmware. As far as I know though it is still on a plan to do - once the firmware issues are resolved.
Old 13-06-2017, 14:40   #153
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Thanks Ben. Is it just SH3s? On the Android VM wi-fi app map, there's local coverage for me showing pink circles and I can get internet in those places. So there're all SH3s? Are SH2s used as well now? Just wondering if mine is contributing. Thanks
That's not dependent on VM hubs. It's a separate arrangement.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 15:27   #154
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Any details on that? Thanks.
Old 13-06-2017, 16:07   #155
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Link.
Quote:
Virgin Media WiFi is our inclusive new on-the-go WiFi service – connecting our customers to smooth, speedy Virgin Media WiFi hotspots when they’re out and about.It’s a bit of magic in your pocket that lets you connect to nearly half of all UK public WiFi hotspots in all sorts of places – cafes, bars and restaurants, up and down the high street, in airports and even underground!
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 16:24   #156
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
That's not dependent on VM hubs. It's a separate arrangement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The pink circles are where the Hub areas are, but aren't specific to each customer for obvious reasons.

You get a specific marker on the map for all other hotspots.
Old 13-06-2017, 16:26   #157
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

eh? The pink circles *are* superhubs, the public non-superhub spots (the cloud/Arquiva) are red location markers on the map.

IMG_5029.jpg

btw Ben, are you subject to the superhub owners settings regarding parental controls or are controls always on? I noticed that reddit among other sites wasn't responding when using a hubspot.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.

Last edited by Horace; 13-06-2017 at 16:54. Reason: was replying to nomadking, Ben beat me to it ;)
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 17:55   #158
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The pink circles are where the Hub areas are, but aren't specific to each customer for obvious reasons.

You get a specific marker on the map for all other hotspots.
My street has 5 pink circles along it. A careful search of SIDs within those circles reveals not a single Virgin Media WiFi hotspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
eh? The pink circles *are* superhubs, the public non-superhub spots (the cloud/Arquiva) are red location markers on the map.

Attachment 26972

btw Ben, are you subject to the superhub owners settings regarding parental controls or are controls always on? I noticed that reddit among other sites wasn't responding when using a hubspot.
A close inspection of red markers in every case revealed hotspots, but they were not Virgin. Indeed one I connected to at a red marker was a BTFON hotspot because I have a pure FON router running at home that allows me to connect to all FON spots world-wide.

Last edited by roughbeast; 13-06-2017 at 18:00.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 17:58   #159
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
My street has 5 pink circles along it. A careful search of SIDs within those circles reveals not a single Virgin Media WiFi hotspot.
If they are anything like mine... i have renamed my one...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 18:04   #160
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I didn't know that was possible or desireable! I thought VM HotSpots were administered by them and were set up completely separately from our normal configuration.

Even if what you say is the case, none of the hotspots within the pink circles were connectable for me except for the BTFON ones.
Old 13-06-2017, 19:11   #161
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
You are always subject to content controls when using Virgin Media WiFi.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:
The pink circles are rough areas as to where the service could be available via Hubs. They're specific to individual Hubs.

Quote:
A close inspection of red markers in every case revealed hotspots, but they were not Virgin. Indeed one I connected to at a red marker was a BTFON hotspot because I have a pure FON router running at home that allows me to connect to all FON spots world-wide.
The Virgin Media WiFi app will not show BTFON hotspots - they are not part of Virgin Media WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
You cannot rename the Virgin Media WiFi SSID
Old 13-06-2017, 19:24   #162
JPAC
cf.addict

How does this interact with 3's Three in Touch? Can they be used at the same time?
Old 13-06-2017, 19:30   #163
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Virgin Media WiFi is instead of your mobile data connection - it doesn't change how your phone works for voice calling.

If you're getting a Three mobile signal your phone may route the call over that still. Plus some Three phones now have WiFi Calling built in (rather than using the app), which again only triggers if there is no Three mobile signal.
Old 13-06-2017, 21:52   #164
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

The pink circles are rough areas as to where the service could be available via Hubs. They're specific to individual Hubs.

The Virgin Media WiFi app will not show BTFON hotspots - they are not part of Virgin Media WiFi
1. In that case none of the hubs in the pink circles were active.

2. The Virgin WiFi app detected no Virgin WiFi at the red markers. Picking up BTFON nearby was not done via the Virgin App! I connected automatically via my FON app.

The only time I have ever been able to pick up any Virgin WiFi is on a Piccadilly Line platform.

Last edited by roughbeast; 13-06-2017 at 21:55.
Old 14-06-2017, 15:57   #165
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im yet to see a hub act a hotspot here in Swansea.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote