Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2017, 21:27   #586
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I disagree. I have been and am working bloody hard for my assets and money. I've speculated (at personal risk) to accumilate. It's taking blood, sweat and tears (literally). I'm being taxed (a lot) on my income before I can accumulate my assets and money and then I am taxed again on my capital gains when I want to sell some assets to realise some profit from them. How is it right to then strip me of more of my wealth if/when I need care in later life? .......especially when someone else who hasn't bothered has that care simply handed to them?!
How else are we going to pay for it? As I said earlier. I would prefer an increase to National Insurance or some sort of compulsory insurance scheme to pool the risk but this is a start.

It's the same argument as student loans really. Those who afford it should pay more alternatively we all pay more via tax.
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2017, 21:30   #587
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
How else are we going to pay for it? As I said earlier. I would prefer an increase to National Insurance or some sort of compulsory insurance scheme to pool the risk but this is a start.

It's the same argument as student loans really. Those who afford it should pay more alternatively we all pay more via tax.
Well since we're talking inheritance here it'll be the children/grandchildren of those who wind up paying who will suffer - they'll get less help from their parents which will in turn mean they have less assets for HMG to take.

Last edited by Osem; 19-05-2017 at 21:36.
Old 19-05-2017, 21:35   #588
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well since we're talking inheritance here it'll be the younger generation who wind up suffering.
It will be the younger generation who'll suffer either way. The alternative to this plan would have been to raise tax/NI on people in work to pay for the shortfall of those who've retired, just after those who've retired were recipients of a triple-lock pension during a time of austerity for everyone else.

Now I still prefer that. I think there is a better argument for increasing spending on social care than there was for the triple-lock but you can see why that approach might have been seen as a unfair path to take.
Old 19-05-2017, 21:39   #589
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
It will be the younger generation who'll suffer either way. The alternative to this plan would have been to raise tax/NI on people in work to pay for the shortfall of those who've retired, just after those who've retired were recipients of a triple-lock pension during a time of austerity for everyone else.

Now I still prefer that. I think there is a better argument for increasing spending on social care than there was for the triple-lock but you can see why that approach might have been seen as a unfair path to take.
Yes, except for the fact that some will suffer disproportionately through no fault of their own whereas the burden could have been spread. I feel the tax option would be a much fairer way of achieving the same end, relatively painlessly.

It's measures such as this which will put off people from saving and lead to those with money/assets to spend it.

Last edited by Osem; 19-05-2017 at 21:45.
Old 19-05-2017, 21:42   #590
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, except for the fact that some will suffer disproportionately through no fault of their own whereas the burden could have been spread. I feel the tax option would be a much fairer way of achieving the same end.
Well yes. I much prefer the idea that we share it out in the same way we do the NHS.

It's not great that the lottery of dementia will dictate how much of your wealth the government will take.
Old 19-05-2017, 21:55   #591
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I vaguely remember free school milk in third pint bottles. It was always warm/sour as it had been hanging about for hours. Some spotty kid would always puke it up through their nose ! Didn't miss it when the Govt. took our milk away ...
(Thatcher the 'Milk Snatcher', I remember now, the one thing I'm grateful to her for..)
I can only speak for the school I was at but yes, it was a 1/3rd pint bottle and was delivered at 10am directly by the MMB. It may have been warm but was not sour. It had only been delivered by the cow at about 6.00am.
Old 19-05-2017, 22:33   #592
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
.especially when someone else who hasn't bothered has that care simply handed to them?!.
We agree on this point.

I don't have an answer for that though.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I cannot stand Jamie Oliver, but I do agree with him that this is a very bad change ;

(Removing free school dinners)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39969155

For many kids, this is the only hot dinner they will get.
They dont want a Breakfast, they want a good hot dinner.

Why not use the incredibly dumb sugar tax to help fund it.
But wouldn't children entitled to a fee school dinner get one?
Old 19-05-2017, 22:40   #593
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Well yes. I much prefer the idea that we share it out in the same way we do the NHS.

It's not great that the lottery of dementia will dictate how much of your wealth the government will take.
Well the older I get the more I'll be inclined to spend so they'll get less out of me in the end.
Old 19-05-2017, 23:04   #594
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
We agree on this point.

I would agree if everyone had the same start in life. Unfortunately this is not the case, if it were so poverty would not exist.

There are those like you and myself that have the intelligence and drive to be able to better ourselves but that does not automatically mean that everyone else has it.
Old 19-05-2017, 23:10   #595
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Tories say pensioners in Scotland should escape PM's curbs to winter fuel payments because it's COLDER than England and Wales

Theresa May yesterday unveiled plans to introduce means testing for the benefit - which is worth up to £300 a year - meaning millions could lose out.
But Scottish Secretary David Mundell said that the cuts will not be rolled out in Scotland because of 'climatic issues'.
And Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson said she had decided to keep the universal benefit.

now i feel like a victim because i'm English [i thought we where all British ]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4hYrEq8AB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 19-05-2017, 23:33   #596
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
How else are we going to pay for it?
I don't know but it's not right to tax me, at a higher rate than others, at source, tax me when I buy something, tax me when I sell it and then take away what's left to pay for care at the end but simply hand money out to those who havent strived all through their lives. That's not a 'fairer society'
( I'm not including the disabled or likewise disadvantaged in that whom I am all for helping)

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There are those like you and myself that have the intelligence and drive to be able to better ourselves but that does not automatically mean that everyone else has it.
Indeed, but why should I and my descendants be penalised because of that?
.....and if we are to be penalised, where is our incentive to work hard all through our lives.....if it'll simply be taken away from us in the end anyway?
Old 19-05-2017, 23:48   #597
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
We agree on this point.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

But wouldn't children entitled to a fee school dinner get one?
From my local Council website

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pa...hoolMeals.aspx
Quote:
If you are the parent, foster parent, network family carer or guardian of children at school, and you are on a low income, you could be entitled to free school meals.

Young people, who are still at school but receive income support in their own right, can also receive free school meals.

Your children are entitled to free school meals if you receive:
Income support, or
Income-Based Job Seeker's Allowance, or
Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, or
The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit), or
Support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, or
Child Tax Credit, if you have an annual taxable income (as assessed by H M Revenue and Customs) which does not exceed £16,190

Pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are automatically entitled to Universal Infant Free School Meals, regardless of their parents' income.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-05-2017, 23:55   #598
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

MI5 had their eye on Jeremy Corbyn amid concerns of potential IRA links, during the height of the IRA era.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...rns-ira-links/

Quote:
The Labour leader was investigated over fears that he could have been a threat to national security at a time when he was supporting convicted terrorists and campaigning for a unified Ireland.

The revelations come as a Telegraph investigation reveals Mr Corbyn’s full links to the IRA, including his support for one of the Balcombe Street gang, who waged a 14-month bombing campaign across south-east England, and his links to the bomb maker believed to have been behind the Hyde Park and Regents Park devices.
Old 20-05-2017, 00:40   #599
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

A vote for Theresa May is a vote to bring Margaret Thatcher back in the form of Theresa.

She's seeking approval from you to relive the Thatcher years.

school meals - school milk.
little snotty nosed kids.

the rich getting richer on the backs of the poor.
big fat snotty nosed fatcats.

do you really want that?
Old 20-05-2017, 00:53   #600
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
A vote for Theresa May is a vote to bring Margaret Thatcher back in the form of Theresa.

She's seeking approval from you to relive the Thatcher years.

school meals - school milk.
little snotty nosed kids.

the rich getting richer on the backs of the poor.
big fat snotty nosed fatcats.

do you really want that?
I don't want a terrorist sympathiser for PM that's for sure would get this with Corbyn, but it's not just this that bothers me, it's a package of no hopers that follow him, like his racist, White hating former lover, Abbott who thinks cops earn £30 per year, no sorry make that £8,000, oops sorry wrong again...ah sod it.
Closed Thread