Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM e-mail Homepage

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub and computer sleep problem

Old 21-04-2012, 20:25   #1
keithc440
Inactive

keithc440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub and computer sleep problem

I installed my new Virgin Media Superhub yesterday and it's working fine. Only thing is my computer will not wake from sleep mode. I have to pull the power cable out of the back of the PC as holding on the power on button for several seconds does not do anything. The PC then 'resumes windows' and wakes slowly to where the PC last was when it was awake. Very strange.
Is there any connection between the new superhub install and the problems I now have with sleep mode with my computer ?
keithc440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2012, 20:26   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Superhub and computer sleep problem

No it will be a PC issue as the Superhub has no control of your equipment it only supplies broadband.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 21:05   #3
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

could be system specs, virus, bloated system
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 21:54   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Try disbling WOL on your PC see if that makes a difference? They did patch a few things with the WOL feature a couple of firmwares ago, maybe they made a mess of it?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 22:04   #5
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

How can it not be the SH? LOL.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 23:45   #6
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Try disbling WOL on your PC see if that makes a difference? They did patch a few things with the WOL feature a couple of firmwares ago, maybe they made a mess of it?
I was thinking this.

Hold down the windows key and the pause/break key. Find the device manager (on the left in windows 7 and vista), then look at network adapters. Right click on your adapter, then hunt around for any option that lets you disable the device from waking your machine when its asleep.

Long shot, but worth a try.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:53   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

sleep mode puts everything into ram so pulling the power cable out the back and cutting power should erase it should cause the pc to boot normally or go to the recovery screen asking you if you want to boot into safe mode. It defo shouldnt "wake slowly" to where you were before.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:14   #8
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

"Wakes slowly" sounds like it's coming out of hibernation rather than sleep. The real question is why is it hibernating instead of sleeping and the most likely answer is the settings so check in your power options to find what it is set to do.

Is it the Superhub? Well I've seen lots of problems attributed to it and some probably are caused by it but I seriously doubt that connecting to it in any way whatsoever can cause this one.

Did the installer touch your machine? The ones I've had round weren't the sharpest knives in the box - I wouldn't have trusted the "senior engineer" who came round because they couldn't get the first two Superhubs working on any of my kit unsupervised as what he said was enough to show he was more qualified in BS than IT.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:57   #9
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
How can it not be the SH? LOL.
Reminds me of when the electricity board got the blame for everything in a Not The Nine O'Clock News "That's Life" sketch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 13:06   #10
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretuk View Post
Reminds me of when the electricity board got the blame for everything in a Not The Nine O'Clock News "That's Life" sketch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc
Ferret

You da man!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 13:31   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Ok, back on topic please.