Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stupid, greedy, moronic.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Stupid, greedy, moronic.

Old 15-04-2012, 14:30   #16
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road
Re: Stupid, greedy, moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Mine are the same any time of day.
Yes, we all know you have the "perfect" connection. Count yourself lucky I guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
And from the same area of the network..
Trololo...
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2012, 15:33   #17
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
I doubt its anywhere near tripling, I dont think they will even be doubling capacity, more like 50% increase (if that)
Well most areas had 4 D/S and 1 U/S and it's supposed to be going to 8+2 so if that's all that's done it's doubling. If they also split some nodes and add new ones then it could be tripling.

It's certainly what's needed with speeds as they are. Doubling speeds will probably lead to higher usage plus I'm guessing that VM hope less churn so more customers which will certainly increase usage.

The only problem as I see it is VM's poor record dealing with oversubscribed areas and refusal to grasp the nettle on network management to tackle abusers. As they sell unlimited of course you could argue that there are no abusers so VM should upgrade to make their capacity match their user demands but I can't see that happening.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 15:43   #18
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

8DS and 2US channels should have been done for 100mb IMO

VM need more peering bandwidth amongst many other things
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:40   #19
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

call in for a SuperHub.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:59   #20
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I am sorry you are having problems in your area but unless you can prove your statement to be true then you might want to re-think your thread title as it is possibly libellous.
You probably wouldn't like the word dodgy either so I will use the word incompetent instead.

VM need more watching than a cage full of monkeys, in the past I have had to get my bill corrected due to price creep, this taught me to keep a close eye on the billing in the future.
After getting 6 quids worth of free tickles before Christmas I checked my bill to make sure I wasn't being charged, I discovered that I had been overcharged 3 quid a month for some time due to price creep, retentions gave me a credit.
I then decided to go for the 100/10 tier for 10 quid a month extra, this time I was charged an additional 6 quid as well, they were charging me for the free tickles this time. Retentions removed the tickles and the bill became correct again.

Just over three weeks ago I turned on the computer to find that my perfect 100/10 connection had been capped at 100/2.7 Mb/s 24/7. Three super hubs and an engineer visit later I am still capped at 100/2.7 and I now see other 100 Mb users getting the same cap treatment.
Due to the total lack of communication between departments CS assume there is a problem and have you going through all the tests time and time again before they finally admit they have no idea what is wrong, I can understand CS not being told about the cap because, like me, most 100/10 users only upgraded for the benefit of the extra upload speed and being knowingly capped will cause us to direct our fury at CS rather than whoever is responsible, so we both go through the find the fault game.

People can say what they like about BT but in all the time I was with them my bill was always correct and when I left them I got two cheques through within three weeks for the monies owed due to paying for the services in advance, I have seen posts here where people have had to chase VM for months in order to get any overpayment back.
I only left BT because my ADSL speed could not go above 512/256 Kb/s but now that BT are getting their act together I will be leaving VM just as soon as FTTP is available here.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:10   #21
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
You probably wouldn't like the word dodgy either so I will use the word incompetent instead.
What I would or wouldn't like is irrelevant to what may potentially be seen as libellous

So, basically VM aren't perfect. Tell us something we don't already know No company is perfect.

Quote:
People can say what they like about BT but in all the time I was with them my bill was always correct...
As has mine been with VM, NTL and TW. I'm sure I can find one or two people with billing problems with BT though. So maybe they're not perfect either.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:20   #22
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
What I would or wouldn't like is irrelevant to what may potentially be seen as libellous

So, basically VM aren't perfect. Tell us something we don't already know No company is perfect.

As has mine been with VM, NTL and TW. I'm sure I can find one or two people with billing problems with BT though. So maybe they're not perfect either.
My daughter has had nothing but problems with BT over , poor internet (Infinity) and the bills being consistently incorrect. So it is not always "greener on the other side of the fence"
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 20:15   #23
Rockstar6662
Inactive

Services: TV : VM XL BB : VM 20Mb
Rockstar6662 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Excatly. I'm sure people do have problems but not everyone does. I've been with VM/NTL for about 12 years now. Never had a billing problem, never had a service problem (a couple of outages which got sorted without any intervention from me) and I've always had the full internet speeds I'm supposed to get. The only minor issue I did have was when I moved once and the engineer gave the wrong code for my TV box so I got no channels but that was sorted pretty quickly.

Can't really comment on the customer service as I've only had to phone them a couple of times in all these years. So while I'm sorry some people have problems, it doesn't mean everyone does.
Rockstar6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 20:43   #24
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps
Smile Re: Stupid, greedy, moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
My daughter has had nothing but problems with BT over , poor internet (Infinity) and the bills being consistently incorrect. So it is not always "greener on the other side of the fence"
i find it depends where people live..
i used to live at thornton heath,bt was very good there for phone line.
now i live in epsom bt is totaly rubbish where i am.
the bt phone line and broadband is rubbish..
makes me laught sky internet and sky phone runs off bt but its loads better.dont understand that??
its like i had telewest in thornrton heath the cphone was rubbish,internet was rubbish but the cable tv worked fine..
then i lived in redhill,i had cable and wireless analogue.i had the cable tv.that was ok until ntl took over.analogue went down hill rippidly..
then i went ntl didital.i had that for a year and a half.
the first year was very good for tv and phone,but the internet was rubbish.
(me i move about every couple of years since age 18)
now i got virgin media in epsom.
virgin media is good for phone,internet-its ok for hd cable tv.
to be honest...
for tv i recomend sky,but for phone and internet-virgin media..

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

right now i got freeview hd-one box(hard dive 320gb humax)
sky+hd 1tb box
sky+hd box (i think its 300gb)
virgin media tivo 500gb box
i did have 2 v+hd boxes..

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:

good evening..
Old 15-04-2012, 23:13   #25
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
And from the same area of the network..
No. The OP stated that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffster View Post
...the whole network grinds to a stuttering, buffering mess
... so anyone from anywhere can post their speedtest results to prove him wrong.

Here's mine from a few minutes ago.

So, as has already been pointed out, he is plainly and simply wrong.
Old 15-04-2012, 23:31   #26
Rockstar6662
Inactive

Services: TV : VM XL BB : VM 20Mb
Rockstar6662 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No. The OP stated that....

... so anyone from anywhere can post their speedtest results to prove him wrong.

Here's mine from a few minutes ago.

So, as has already been pointed out, he is plainly and simply wrong.
Not posting the pics but just done one and got:
Download : 9.76Mbps
Upload : 1.04Mbps
Ping : 11ms

Other than the ping varies a bit I get roughly the same results no matter when I do the test (as long as the traffic management hasn't kicked in).
Rockstar6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 00:14   #27
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Okay. My previous one might have been a fluke, so here's another.

Nope. Seems it wasn't a fluke after all. Shall I post any more?
Old 16-04-2012, 00:53   #28
jagsman
cf.addict

jagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jagsman Send a message via Yahoo to jagsman

Heres my result. Its supposed to be 10mb, but I guess I lost out on the speed raffle they must have, where they just pick a connection and cap it.

ps. I have only downloaded 250mb, and uploaded 300mb since 4pm
jagsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 01:00   #29
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

The period between the speed doubling and the network upgrades is the time when VM obviously haven't enough upload capacity hence the 50 meg customers not getting an upload increase when they are moved up to 100 meg, in fact we are starting to see some of those customers have their upload capped at 2.7 Mb/s as well.
Of course VM could have admitted their inadequacy and saved customers and CS staff a lot of wasted time, but no, they do it without informing anyone in the hope that no one will notice.
I am not in a high contention area, in fact until recently I got full speed up and down at any time of the day and night so god help those customers who are already having contention issues before the speed doubling comes into effect, CS are going to be needlessly sending Super Hubs out like they are going out of fashion, perhaps now is a good time to buy some Netgear shares...
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 09:24   #30
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsman View Post
Heres my result. Its supposed to be 10mb, but I guess I lost out on the speed raffle they must have, where they just pick a connection and cap it.
Oh dear. More complete nonsense No; you obviously have issues in your area. Of course, no-one has ever said this doesn't happen.

---------- Post added at 08:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
The period between the speed doubling and the network upgrades is the time when VM obviously haven't enough upload capacity hence the 50 meg customers not getting an upload increase when they are moved up to 100 meg...
Quote:
Of course VM could have admitted their inadequacy and saved customers and CS staff a lot of wasted time, but no, they do it without informing anyone in the hope that no one will notice.
All pure speculation, of course.