Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stupid, greedy, moronic.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

High Power Levels

Old 18-04-2012, 13:44   #1
MannyUK
Inactive

Services: XXL BB , M+ TV, XL Phone
MannyUK will become famous soon enoughMannyUK will become famous soon enoughMannyUK will become famous soon enough
Question High Power Levels

Hi, i posted in the VM support forum regarding my high power levels, they look high to me anyway and in the posts on here have always suggested the 6/7+ for down and 55+ for up are pushing it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/1152461

So VM tell me mine look fine even at 8/9+ for down!!

Has the threshold changed?

Cheers
MannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2012, 14:11   #2
Dave zzz
Inactive

Dave zzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: High Power Levels

Hello MannyUK ,

I'll be interested to know the answer to this one also

Upgraded from 20mb to 60mb yesterday, my DL then was 9.6 to 9.9 today its gone up to 10 to 10.2

regards
Dave
Dave zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 14:17   #3
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

you can try give them a call via 150.they should check over the phone for you and they may have different opinion so they may send you an engineer to check

you can also get a forward path attenuator
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORWARD-PA...#ht_1587wt_955
and lower them by your self

also if the internet works ok some they belive if working dont touch it...so i guess the mod in VM forum use this opinion
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:28   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the VM dude is talking out of his ass, they are not within spec. Although the shub can handle the power VM work to +6 or less. Your upstream could do with coming down a tad as well.

If everything is working ok then you can always leave it but with those levels being so borderline it wont take much for things to start going wrong. I wouldnt be surprised if you start to see some packet loss. Have you done any pings out of curiosity?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:00   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

self install kits dont require a tech but why dont techs who do installs not always sort out power levels? do bulk attenuators really cost the company a huge amount?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:03   #6
MannyUK
Inactive

Services: XXL BB , M+ TV, XL Phone
MannyUK will become famous soon enoughMannyUK will become famous soon enoughMannyUK will become famous soon enough

The connection does seem OK, my pings/speeds are always around those levels.
MannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:18   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
self install kits dont require a tech but why dont techs who do installs not always sort out power levels? do bulk attenuators really cost the company a huge amount?
that was the ****** excuse they gave me before xmas and why they couldn't upgrade me over the phone; the engineer had to come out and check the power levels (which I told them i had done and they were fine)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:32   #8
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

@MannyUK you might jave problems when more channels get pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that was the ****** excuse they gave me before xmas and why they couldn't upgrade me over the phone; the engineer had to come out and check the power levels (which I told them i had done and they were fine)
what power level guides do these techs work from. infact what guide do VM work from? are the guides on the net useless or something?

why dont VM write up a guide on how to put on an attenuator and send it out along with the relevant attenuator/equalizer through the post. surely that would save a few quid on tech bookings?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote