Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | On VIP 50 - Is Caller ID free, and what about 0845?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Phone Line Dead

Old 14-03-2012, 00:25   #1
DJ Dave
Inactive

Services: XL Phone, L BB, M TV, 1GB MBB
DJ Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone Line Dead

Ok so tonight came home, went to check 1571 and the phone was dead, unplugged the phone had a mess around and with it and still no joy. I then called my house number in which I got a busy tone not even the 1571, so I went online to my virgin media and tried to do a line test but it said it did not work and could no do the test.

I then went on to the support forum and they seem to think it's my phone as they did a line test and said it came back fine. I then tried to get my Sky box to go online and it said there was no line to dial out so I know this must be a virgin fault.

What is the best why to contact virgin? now as I don't have a phone I can ring them on? I have a virgin mobile but not sure I could get through on that by ringing 789? also I don't fancy calling an 0845 number on my mobile.
DJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 15:40   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Phone Line Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Dave View Post
Ok so tonight came home, went to check 1571 and the phone was dead, unplugged the phone had a mess around and with it and still no joy. I then called my house number in which I got a busy tone not even the 1571, so I went online to my virgin media and tried to do a line test but it said it did not work and could no do the test.

I then went on to the support forum and they seem to think it's my phone as they did a line test and said it came back fine. I then tried to get my Sky box to go online and it said there was no line to dial out so I know this must be a virgin fault.

What is the best why to contact virgin? now as I don't have a phone I can ring them on? I have a virgin mobile but not sure I could get through on that by ringing 789? also I don't fancy calling an 0845 number on my mobile.
Unplug everything, including the Sky box, then test a phone in the master socket. if this fails, then yes you can call 789 and they usually will transfer you to Virgin Media cable.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:44   #3
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Or call the 0845 number and they will call you back. (At least, they did with me; every time.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:11   #4
Sudbury
Inactive

Services: TV M+, Broadband L, Phone L
Sudbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Really poor service with fixed phone since I joined up two years ago ......crossed line took FIVE visits from an "engineer", or rather a different one each time. They insisted on rewiring internally and externally. I knew this wouldn't help and had this confirmed by a Virgin man working at the green box on the street corner.

Phone was dead two weeks ago....engineer came , couldn't understand it but went to exchange and fixed it.........Now phone dead again. They insist on an engineer appointment and I said I cannot afford to take another day off work......after much arguing they haev arranged for an engineer to come and solve the problem on Friday morning, without me being here.

Don't you think that if an exasperated customer asks to speak to a manager then that manager ought to have the courtesy to speak to the customer. Appalling service. I wish I had not left BT

Oh and broadband has been a problem too!
Sudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 18:07   #5
rjp
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV and 1MB broadband.
rjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave. I've had a similar experience. Took Virgin Media at this house when I moved in, in June 2010. The phone line has now failed for the third time - no dial tone - and I've done diagnostics to confirm that it's the line. Each time they visit they fix a connection outside the house, but they insist that I'm at home for the "engineer" to visit. Couldn't find any other option but to call 0845 from my mobile but, when I got through, they couldn't fix an appointment in May, which is the next mutually-agreeable time slot.

Grrr!
rjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 20:31   #6
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

My phone line has been dead for a few weeks not been fussed as we hardly use it but I bough a new handset to test it with to make sure it wasn't the phone. As suspected the line is dead, was well chuffed that the online test found a issue but not so impressed that it old me to ring the faults line as it couldn't make a booking online.

I have been with cable sine 98 and this is the third time the phone line has just dies, a few years ago I had to have a repull done I am surprised it has died again.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 21:31   #7
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Or call the 0845 number and they will call you back. (At least, they did with me; every time.)
That's actually quite difficult when you have to answer various automatic voice message prompts for about 2 or 3 minutes and even then you don't get to speak to an actual live person.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 22:03   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
That's actually quite difficult when you have to answer various automatic voice message prompts for about 2 or 3 minutes and even then you don't get to speak to an actual live person.
Resurrection thread.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 22:46   #9
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Resurrection thread.
Aye, wish my phone line would be resurrected to life.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 23:20   #10
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Resurrection thread.
It's only been dead for two weeks! That's nothing. Over on DS recently, someone posted to a thread that was something like five year old
Old 17-04-2012, 07:56   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
Aye, wish my phone line would be resurrected to life.
Try the community forum in the phone section.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 15:11   #12
SILVER SURFER
Inactive

SILVER SURFER is an unknown quantity at this point

My house phone was dead when I went to use it on Saurday. Swapped it out for another hand set, checked the socket etc., no joy. I used my mobile to report the fault, paying the full cost of the call because my mobile is not a Virgin one I was on the phone for 15 minutes answering voice recognition questions, keying in account details, phone number, fault description etc. before finally speaking to a human-being in India. Nice lady who booked an engineer to visit. I then had to have a stiff drink and a lie down mentally exhaused by the whole process!
SILVER SURFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 15:47   #13
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER SURFER View Post
I used my mobile to report the fault, paying the full cost of the call because my mobile is not a Virgin one..
You still get charged for calling an 0845 number, even if you're calling VM from a VM phone

The first thing you should have said is "I have a fault and I'm calling from a mobile. Please call me back." and, in my experience, they would have.

You should be able to get a refund.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:19   #14
SILVER SURFER
Inactive

SILVER SURFER is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip. I will remember that next time. Not really bothered about a refund just wish there was a shorter and less complicated way of doing things. Did there not used to be a free phone 150 for CS and 151 for faults you could ring from a Virgin phone?

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Should have included in my last sentence that I am thinking of changing to a Virgin mobile phone.
SILVER SURFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:37   #15
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Did there not used to be a free phone 150 for CS and 151 for faults you could ring from a Virgin phone?.
Yes and there still is. But not a mobile; even a VM one

Quote:
Should have included in my last sentence that I am thinking of changing to a Virgin mobile phone.
A brilliant idea because you then get free calls to other VM mobiles from your Virgin Mobile phone and free calls to any Virgin Mobile from your VM landline within your chosen package (ie M, L or XL)