Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Happy Birthday to Topgun

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Pension Credit (Dental costs)

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33   #1
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Pension Credit (Dental costs)

I'm looking into something for someone who gets state pension.
but he only gets the 'savings credit' and not the 'guarantee credit' part of it.
he's not entitled to full dental costs because he only has the savings part.

I've tried to find out some info for him on what help he's entitled to but I want you old people to tell me instead

also does the same apply for glasses/opticians?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Pension Credit (Dental costs)

Is it the HC2 certificate you are after? Thye cover most things NHS.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I don't know. I'll have a look.
I was reading one earlier and it kept saying read pages 5-7 about more help. it said that from page 1 - 59 and I still couldn't find it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I have recently been on a course to learn how to help people who have had their income reduced at work.

There is a system available called the NHS Low Income Scheme, which your friend may qualify for. In addition, they will qualify for help on age grounds, no matter what their income/savings.

If the person is in receipt of the State Retirement Pension, they must be over 60.

Everyone aged 60 or over gets free prescriptions and eye tests.

Income:

Depending on their circumstances, they could also get:

- Free NHS dental treatment.

- A voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses.

- Help with travel costs to receive NHS treatment.

- Free NHS wigs and fabric supports if required.

People on Pension Credit related to income (the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit) get these automatically, but Pension Credit based on savings does not count.

To see if they can get extra help, they need to fill in form HC1, available by calling 0845 850 1166 or by visiting www.nhs.uk/healthcosts.

Dentists, opticians and hospitals keep a stock of them too.

When the claim has been assessed, they will receive:

- A form called HC2, which entitles one to the maximum help with health costs.

- A form HC3, which entitles one to some help with some or all health costs.

- A form HC4, informing you that you do not qualify for help.

If the person has had to pay for something recently*, or has to pay for something whilst their application is being processed, they can complete form HC5 and, if their application is successful, ask for reimbursement (prescriptions have now been excluded from this, but they should be getting these for free anyway because of their age!)

By recently, I mean three months, but there was talk of reducing this- check if this applies to them.

This assumes your friend lives in England, slightly different arrangements exist for those living in Wales or Scotland.

A similar scheme exists to help with travel costs to visit someone in prison.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any further help
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33   #5
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Thanks Richard. very helpful.

and enjoy your break