Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Hidden features that suck!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Old 16-01-2012, 12:48   #1
1981suede
Inactive

1981suede is an unknown quantity at this point
5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Hello,

I've recently set up a new AV receiver and have noticed that I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby on either of the BBC HD channels from the TiVo box. All other HD channels (apart from ITV1 obviously) seem to transmit it without a problem so it's unlikely to be a fault with the box.

Has anyone else noticed this? How often are BBC programmes transmitted with Dolby 5.1?

Cheers.
1981suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2012, 13:25   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: 5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Its simply due to not all programmes transmitting DD 5.1. Most BBC shows just seem to be DD 2.1
Old 16-01-2012, 13:28   #3
metmanuk
Inactive

metmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981suede View Post
Hello,

I've recently set up a new AV receiver and have noticed that I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby on either of the BBC HD channels from the TiVo box. All other HD channels (apart from ITV1 obviously) seem to transmit it without a problem so it's unlikely to be a fault with the box.

Has anyone else noticed this? How often are BBC programmes transmitted with Dolby 5.1?

Cheers.
Yes! Its been driving me mad for a while. I have a Samsung Home Cinema connected via optical cable and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I have been thinking of writing to Samsung so I'm glad (sort of !) that I'm not alone.

Also, I have a second Tivo but with Panasonic gear (but wired the same) and BBC1HD and BBCHD produce 5.1 audio fine.

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its simply due to not all programmes transmitting DD 5.1. Most BBC shows just seem to be DD 2.1
No its not. See my previous post.
metmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:30   #4
1981suede
Inactive

That is a bit disappointing. I have been checking over the past few weeks and i haven't seen a single programme in full 5.1. You would of thought a big drama like Sherlock for example would be broadcast in 5.1! Poor form BBC.
Old 16-01-2012, 13:32   #5
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure some of the BBC HD programmes are transmitted in 5.1 from my own experience on this. I'm going to have to check now!
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:35   #6
1981suede
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmanuk View Post

Also, I have a second Tivo but with Panasonic gear (but wired the same) and BBC1HD and BBCHD produce 5.1 audio fine.

Oh, so it may be a problem with equipment? Does your Samsung set up produce 5.1 for the other HD channels? It does seem very strange that it is specific for BBC only, which is also the case for me. I have an Onkyo and I'm using HDMI throughput for sound.
Old 16-01-2012, 13:35   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes! Its been driving me mad for a while. I have a Samsung Home Cinema connected via optical cable and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I have been thinking of writing to Samsung so I'm glad (sort of !) that I'm not alone.

Some shows are in 5.1 however as I said in my post not everything is. Some shows obviously don't have a lot of money spent on sound and only get recorded in 2.1. For example talk shows are usually in 2.1 as they don't really require full surround sound.

I have a Philips surround amp connect by optical cable to my TiVo.
Old 16-01-2012, 13:47   #8
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

That would explain why only some shows have it.

I have my TiVo connected via HDMI to my Samsung Home Cinema system which in turn is connected to my TV by HDMI.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:48   #9
metmanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Oh, so it may be a problem with equipment? Does your Samsung set up produce 5.1 for the other HD channels? It does seem very strange that it is specific for BBC only, which is also the case for me. I have an Onkyo and I'm using HDMI throughput for sound.
To be clear, on my Samsung configuration BBCHD's do not produce 5.1. The audio only comes from left and right speakers (not the centre speaker so not 2.1). However, Sky Sports & Movies, for example, produce 5.1 audio. I can confirm this by going to another room with the Panasonic configuration which produces 5.1 audio when expected.

Some time ago (a month or two), I did get 5.1 audio from BBCHD but it didn't last for long.

I have read that it may be to do with the signal that announces 5.1 audio not being picked up by the equipment - hopefully the more technically able posters on here can confirm ?
Old 16-01-2012, 14:13   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Most broadcast in 2.0/2.1 will have a ProLogic matrix encoded, try turning that on
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 16:28   #11
1981suede
Inactive

Just popped home at lunch to check and I am getting 5.1 during BBC HD's test card and when the splash screen comes up when the local news is broadcasting on BBC 1 HD. When normal programmes (Doctors) resumed it went back to Pro Logic 2.
Old 16-01-2012, 16:44   #12
metmanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Just popped home at lunch to check and I am getting 5.1 during BBC HD's test card and when the splash screen comes up when the local news is broadcasting on BBC 1 HD. When normal programmes (Doctors) resumed it went back to Pro Logic 2.
I'll do the same (local news) check tonight.

Do you get anything from your centre speaker ?
Old 16-01-2012, 16:58   #13
1981suede
Inactive

Quote:
I'll do the same (local news) check tonight.

Do you get anything from your centre speaker ?
Yeah, I got output from all speakers. The test card on BBC HD is a great way to check as it sends individual signals to each speaker in sequential order. Not that it will be playing tonight as it will be broadcasting.
Old 16-01-2012, 20:47   #14
metmanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah, I got output from all speakers. The test card on BBC HD is a great way to check as it sends individual signals to each speaker in sequential order. Not that it will be playing tonight as it will be broadcasting.
Yep! I get 5.1 sound from BBC1HD trailer-fest whilst the local programming is on.

So, is it definitely a BBC problem ?
Old 16-01-2012, 22:42   #15
1981suede
Inactive

Quote:
Yep! I get 5.1 sound from BBC1HD trailer-fest whilst the local programming is on.

So, is it definitely a BBC problem ?
I don't know. Something strange is occurring. Would be handy if other users could check and say if either BBC HD channels are broadcasting full 5.1 and which programme they saw it on. Stargazing Live is on now and I'm certainly only getting PLII.

Edit: ok, episodes is broadcasting 5.1 at the moment. Perhaps there really is just a dearth of 5.1 content on BBC.