Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Neighbours dodgy VM Install....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

moving PC to another room

Old 10-10-2011, 06:50   #1
llanedeyrnjack
Inactive

llanedeyrnjack is an unknown quantity at this point
moving PC to another room

hi all, have called VM to ask how much to route the modem cable to another room & have been quoted £100. i think this is unreasonable, so are the cable & plugs required for this readily available to buy anywhere.

i notice in another thread that another poster wanted to move his TV & could buy the cabling from amazon. however i am not sure if that cable is suitable for the modem.

hope someone can advise

thanks

llanedeyrnjack
llanedeyrnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35   #2
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: moving PC to another room

connectors here,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

equivalent Tri Sheilded Coax, actually this stuff exceeds VM standards.. but VM stuff is made for them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Webro HD100, Various cut lengths available depending on how long you need it.

the thinner pre-made cables will work, but if any interference is introduced into the system it will effect your service and possibly your neighbours... which is why VM dont like people touching it.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:58   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You can of course keep the modem where it is and just move the PC connecting it by a longer ethernet lead.

In most cases you will get away with extending the cable. But strictly speaking you shouldn't be altering it. Get it wrong and your service or even your neighbour's can be affected. If your signal levels are marginal the changed resistivity of the cable could push it over the edge. If extending, make sure your cable screws onto the exiting VM fitting. Don't be tempted to cut the existing end off the make your own joint as if an engineer ever came out for a fault you'd have problems showing it wasn't your unauthorised alterations that messed stuff up.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 13:04   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Use wifi?
Old 10-10-2011, 20:14   #5
llanedeyrnjack
Inactive

llanedeyrnjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
connectors here,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

equivalent Tri Sheilded Coax, actually this stuff exceeds VM standards.. but VM stuff is made for them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Webro HD100, Various cut lengths available depending on how long you need it.

the thinner pre-made cables will work, but if any interference is introduced into the system it will effect your service and possibly your neighbours... which is why VM dont like people touching it.

thanks for that buddy, so if i wanted to just extend the existing cable i would need male & female connectors. looking at those on ebay i assume they are the male plug side. would i be able to get the skt part as well? alternatively i could run a new cable from where it enters the house i suppose & that would negate the need for the female skt part of connector, just not sure if it is hard wired into the box.

appreciate your time on this

llanedeyrnjack
llanedeyrnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 21:56   #6
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-F-Conn...item2ea4c7459f

Hi, that is the female coupler your require to joIn both cables
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 22:02   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Instead of havig signal issues with replacing coax cable, why not leave the modem where it is and buy some cheap ethernet wire and run that. You dont really have to worry about distance and it is easy to do.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 22:57   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Please don't play with the VM cable. As already mentioned a good length of ethernet cable is a far better way to go for the least money. I think you can get 30m length very cheap but you do get what you pay for.

If you do have a little money add on a cheap router as this would give you a hardware firewall and thus extra protection from some nasty people out there. Something like the DLink DIR615 is around £20. You don't have to use the wireless but it's there if you do want it.