Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installation Help Please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Install without TV or computer

Old 27-07-2011, 13:10   #1
punchkicker
Inactive

punchkicker is an unknown quantity at this point
Install without TV or computer

I'm getting VM installed later this week into a new place. I haven't yet got a TV or moved my computer into the new place yet and wasn't planning to do so until after the install. (I have ordered the TV but it probably won't arrive in time)

Will it be a problem for the engineer to do the installation (of both the V box and broadband) without a TV or computer present? Obviously they won't be able to do full testing but should they still be able to do the install?

Thanks for any help.
punchkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2011, 13:39   #2
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice
Re: Install without TV or computer

The engineer will need to see what he is doing on screen to check to ensure you are getting TV and check things like the signal level.

I don't think he will just install it and hope for the best.
mentalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:31   #3
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Could you borrow an old portable or something with a SCART connection temporarily for the install?
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:23   #4
punchkicker
Inactive

Thanks for the help. I can probably borrow a portable but I'm not sure it would have a scart socket - would an RF socket do?
Old 27-07-2011, 19:51   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

an rf socket wont do, new boxes dont have rf. The installer can install it and check signal with his PDA
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 00:02   #6
punchkicker
Inactive

I managed to borrow a portable tv with a scart socket in the end. Thanks for the help
Old 29-07-2011, 02:12   #7
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Not being funny but if there is a Cable socket and it's all in good condition, could he not do the self install option?
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 00:49   #8
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

As a tech myself i would and have done installed with no tv or computer at the property i can see if the hits are coming through on the box without the need of a tv and the modem is easy to see working with no pc.
redone is offline   Reply With Quote