Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 11-11-2008, 13:39   #46
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_07 View Post
So you're basically saying anyone who gets caught with a dodgy VM box would go on and rip sky off aswell....yeah ok.
It does not take to much of a leap to assume that someone willing to steal from one service would be willing to steal from another. Especially if their only going to be cut off if caught.

There's no real deterrent there when the only risk is being cut off.

Obvouisly this wouldnt be the case with all offenders but to have a blacklist accross the board would be more of a deterrent I think and be a more reasonable punishment for the crime in the first place.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2008, 15:11   #47
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
It does not take to much of a leap to assume that someone willing to steal from one service would be willing to steal from another. Especially if their only going to be cut off if caught.

There's no real deterrent there when the only risk is being cut off.

Obvouisly this wouldnt be the case with all offenders but to have a blacklist accross the board would be more of a deterrent I think and be a more reasonable punishment for the crime in the first place.
Same thing happens with airlines - you get caught causing a disturbance on a flight, and the airline you are flying with will refuse to carry you, and inform all other airlines on the route you have been denied passage and the reasons why.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 17:27   #48
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post

I'm still not clear about this..Just what evidence does someone phoning VM on this new telephone number to report a dodgy illegal user have to provide for VM to be able to pursue the matter and gain a prosecution?

So nobody has an answer?

I'm wondering what constitutes proof when one considers that in the past the public have reported people doing this and VM have appeared to have done nothing and on some occasions have said there was not enough evidence.Surely they have to go on more than one persons 'hearsay' evidence?

Oh and to the person who seemed to think that I don't support the idea of VM actually getting firm about this what I actually want is that such offenders are to be arrested,placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten food...or even better, with their dodgy chipped boxes.
Old 11-11-2008, 21:19   #49
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

Quote:
So nobody has an answer?

I'm wondering what constitutes proof when one considers that in the past the public have reported people doing this and VM have appeared to have done nothing and on some occasions have said there was not enough evidence.Surely they have to go on more than one persons 'hearsay' evidence?

Oh and to the person who seemed to think that I don't support the idea of VM actually getting firm about this what I actually want is that such offenders are to be arrested,placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten food...or even better, with their dodgy chipped boxes.
the policy as far as i know is to ring the number and let the fraud dept deal with it
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 22:29   #50
DerekRothwell
Inactive

Services: Sky BB at almost dial-up speeds Crap TV (no iplayers) Average phone (unlimited) and all this for
DerekRothwell is on a distinguished roadDerekRothwell is on a distinguished road

My old grandmother, bless her, had a perfect cure for people who commited ANY crime - she would have people put to death for as much as dropping litter! Using illegal cables boxes would probably have brought back being hung drawn and quartered.
DerekRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:11   #51
Kaychsea
Inactive

Services: VM TV XL, VM BB M
Kaychsea is just really niceKaychsea is just really niceKaychsea is just really niceKaychsea is just really niceKaychsea is just really niceKaychsea is just really nice

Quote:
So nobody has an answer?

I would have thought that if the name and address of the perp isn't on their billing list then they would be interested in having a closer look.
Kaychsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51   #52
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRothwell View Post
My old grandmother, bless her, had a perfect cure for people who commited ANY crime - she would have people put to death for as much as dropping litter! Using illegal cables boxes would probably have brought back being hung drawn and quartered.
The old values are still the best!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39   #53
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaychsea View Post
I would have thought that if the name and address of the perp isn't on their billing list then they would be interested in having a closer look.
quite a few would probably pay for the least amount of services but use a chipped box to get the whole package
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:26   #54
gasdetector
Inactive

gasdetector is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been given three addresses from the fraud department to check out following information received. All three are suspected of using illegal set top's and all are telephone only customers.So they'd better watch out cos i'm coming to get them
gasdetector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:02   #55
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRothwell View Post
Agreed, hung drawn and quartering is worse than death.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47   #56
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post
Agreed, hung drawn and quartering is worse than death.
Sorry to be pedantic - but game is hung, people are hanged.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 13:03   #57
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/189300.html
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 15:22   #58
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdetector View Post
i have been given three addresses from the fraud department to check out following information received. All three are suspected of using illegal set top's and all are telephone only customers.So they'd better watch out cos i'm coming to get them
Interesting.

How do you actually "check out" a customers address for illegal STB's?

Old 14-11-2008, 11:47   #59
nutellajunkie
Inactive

nutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enough

good ad that.
nutellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 12:30   #60
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Sorry to be pedantic - but game is hung, people are hanged.
Well illegal set-top box users are fair game
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote