Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Not Playing Fair With Existing Customers!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Not Playing Fair With Existing Customers!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35   #1
Intasun32
Inactive

Intasun32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Not Playing Fair With Existing Customers!

Virgin Media have recently renamed and increased the speeds of all their Broadband packages. They are now called, Up To 30mb, 60mb & 100mb instead of 'L', 'XL' & 'XXL'.

I am on the 'L' package with a speed of up to 10mb at a cost of £22.50 a month, the new low end package on offer is 30mb and also costs £22.50. I recently received a letter informing me that VM were going to double my speed to 20mb, that's very nice but new customers paying the same £22.50 are getting 30mb.

I have e-mailed VM three times asking why I am only receiving 20mb and received three answers all different and nothing to do with the questions I have asked. I foolishly called C/S and the advisor had no idea what I was asking about, don't you just love these overseas call centres?

I have checked and there is no technical reasons as to why I should not receive a speed of 30mb as I have the new SuperHub . As a new customer I have been offered the faster speed so why not as an ex NTL, now VM customer of 12 years?

What's going on?
Intasun32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47   #2
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Not Playing Fair With Existing Customers!

ring retentions they will give you 30mbit.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55   #3
Intasun32
Inactive

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08   #4
Jinxey
cf.member

Services: 150Mb
Jinxey will become famous soon enoughJinxey will become famous soon enoughJinxey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
ring retentions they will give you 30mbit.
Retentions were rubbish the three times I called them about this exact same question. Ended up agreeing to 60Mb.
Jinxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20   #5
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

Are they charging you extra for 60? Given what you've said, I'd be mightily peeved if they are, unless you did want the extra upgrade.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:34   #6
keithscott2001
Inactive

keithscott2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I rang retentions last week and got offered 30 no problem with a superhub being installed next week

I think it really depends on the person you speak to
keithscott2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:06   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Most customers on L don't have a SuperHub, therefore mass uplift can only do a change to 20Mbit. If they put everyone on L onto 30Mbit, then those who didn't have a SuperHub would lose internet access

However, if you move onto the Essential Collection you get 30Mbit, and I'm sure as the upgrades happen there will be ways for those on L 20 to go up to L 30
Old 11-05-2012, 14:43   #8
Intasun32
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If they put everyone on L onto 30Mbit, then those who didn't have a SuperHub would lose internet access
@BenMcr,

That's not what I was given to believe, I understood that older modems would just max out at whatever the speed modem could give. They would not lose internet access.

When they increased the speed from 2mb to 10mb the modems at that time were far lower spec than is in use now and there was no problem. Off the subject a bit but there is word that VM have under estimated the volume of new customers which has resulted in the many problems experienced after the increase in speed to SuperHub users. You only have to read the VM web site forum, as well as other forums to see all is not well.

Sky shot itself in the foot when it first ventured into BB, as I experienced. Too many customers, maybe because to many it was free, the system just could not take the strain. It was not even possible to open the Sky page to register. (I lasted 4 days and it took 13 months to get the marker removed from my line.) Consumers have long memories.

Re your suggestion, why should I have to move to the more expensive and unwanted package ''Essential Collection'' to get what others are getting for the same price as I am paying? If VM cannot supply 30mb to all customers on the base product then I fail to see how they can charge the full price of £22.50. If we both went into a shop and both bought a packet of the same biscuits for £1 and your packet had 1/3 less than mine would you not complain and ask why?

Old 11-05-2012, 14:47   #9
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intasun32 View Post
@BenMcr,

That's not what I was given to believe, I understood that older modems would just max out at whatever the speed modem could give. They would not lose internet access.

When they increased the speed from 2mb to 10mb the modems at that time were far lower spec than is in use now and there was no problem. Off the subject a bit but there is word that VM have under estimated the volume of new customers which has resulted in the many problems experienced after the increase in speed to SuperHub users. You only have to read the VM web site forum, as well as other forums to see all is not well.
The configs for 30mbit+ tell the modem to lock onto the docsis3 network, which the old modems cant do
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:57   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Re your suggestion, why should I have to move to the more expensive and unwanted package ''Essential Collection'' to get what others are getting for the same price as I am paying? If VM cannot supply 30mb to all customers on the base product then I fail to see how they can charge the full price of £22.50. If we both went into a shop and both bought a packet of the same biscuits for £1 and your packet had 1/3 less than mine would you not complain and ask why?
I meant that is one way to get L 30, as everyone gets the current advertised speed when they move onto a Collection.

In regards to your case, again L 30 is a different tier to the one you are on. It may cost the same, but it's not the same product. So as I also said, I'm sure there will be other options for people to move up to L 30 as the upgrades progress.
Old 11-05-2012, 14:59   #11
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithscott2001 View Post
I rang retentions last week and got offered 30 no problem with a superhub being installed next week.
Same here, but I got mine the same week

Quote:
I think it really depends on the person you speak to
I've never had any problems.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Most customers on L don't have a SuperHub, therefore mass uplift can only do a change to 20Mbit. If they put everyone on L onto 30Mbit, then those who didn't have a SuperHub would lose internet access.
Quote:
I can confirm this. I was also told that I would lose 'net access on the day they switched me to 30mb if I didn't install the superhub. I didn't.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:05   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I was also told that I would lose 'net access on the day they switched me to 30mb if I didn't install the superhub. I didn't.
That was wrong. Due to the way the order is processed, the 30Mbit config change doesn't happen until you install the SuperHub

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

However if the mass uplift sent the configs immediately - it would knock off existing kit
Old 11-05-2012, 15:06   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
The configs for 30mbit+ tell the modem to lock onto the docsis3 network, which the old modems cant do
That's because of VM's specific setup though, not a limitation of the device or standards itself.

Don't forget the thousands of 10/20mb users on old modems running off a single channel on the new network.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:13   #14
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
That's because of VM's specific setup though, not a limitation of the device or standards itself.

Don't forget the thousands of 10/20mb users on old modems running off a single channel on the new network.
AFAIK the OP is on Virgin Media
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 16:11   #15
Intasun32
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I can confirm this. I was also told that I would lose 'net access on the day they switched me to 30mb if I didn't install the superhub. I didn't.
@Carlwaring,

Thank you for confirming what I had been told.