Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cheap international calls?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Cheap international calls?

Old 15-09-2010, 21:43   #1
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cheap international calls?

Until recently I always phoned the USA on the 0844 numbers which cost 1p a minute, until the last time when I got a bill for a couple of pounds as they made it into a premium number. Obviously using Virgin for the USA is as much or so as calling from BT, so have they blocked all other companies from being used or are there other ones available using different numbers you can carry on using? I presume if not I'd need to buy cards but I rarely need to use them so would prefer not to.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2010, 22:41   #2
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Cheap international calls?

I use 1899 which works well.

Quote:
Especially for all NTL, Telewest, other non-BT landline and mobile customers! Due to great demand you can now also benefit from cheap 1899-rates via our dedicated freephone number 0808 1 708 708
http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 22:52   #3
David H
cf.member

Ah good, that's a start. I know only BT are obliged to allow piggyback companies to be dialled by law, but wonder why this one has been allowed to continue while so many others are barred? It looks like I'll have to sign up like I did with Onetel in the old days which is a pain, although at least they don't want paying in advance which I'm not starting at all with anyone.

If there are no alternatives I'll probably have to do that although if anyone knows one where you can dial directly through a standard prefix I'd prefer that ideally.
Old 16-09-2010, 14:00   #4
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

Companies like the above and http://www.18185.co.uk/ use freephone (0808) numbers for non-BT networks. They too have a connection charge but as I recall (unlike 0844) only if you actually get through to the number you are calling. Click the Virgin link on either website to get the correct calling rates as they are a little higher than for BT.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:44   #5
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
... Click the Virgin link on either website to get the correct calling rates as they are a little higher than for BT.
As far as I can see the rates are 1p per minute to the USA, landline or mobile, Virgin or BT. (www.1899.com)

I also see the rate for UK landline calls is 0p per minute. Beat that!
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:42   #6
David H
cf.member

Thanks all, I have checked and it seems 1899 are pretty hard to beat, only use when you want and just have to allow them access to your account which I always did with Onetel until they raised their charges too high. It appears the 18185 calls to mobiles are cheaper and others the same as 1899 so currently seems the better of the two, it's 0.5p a minute to the US as well which is half the price of 1899.

I am still thoroughly mystified how Virgin allow this handful of companies while blocking others like Telediscount who I used for years till they got heavy with them. Presumably there's nothing to stop Virgin suddenly shutting the door suddenly on the others as well if they can find a way- why would anyone pay 10p a minute for 08- calls when they don't have to?
Old 04-10-2010, 18:21   #7
ess1
Inactive

Services: sky, VMBB XXL
ess1 is an unknown quantity at this point

At present I am with BT and have used 18185 for a couple of years.

Can someone using their site confirm that Virgin accept either 18185 or 0808 as I find the quote on their site does not specifically mention Virgin.

Quote: "Especially for all NTL, Telewest, other non-BT landline and mobile customers we have dedicated the freephone number 0808 1 703 703"

thanks.
ess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 18:34   #8
ess1
Inactive

Presume that Virgin does NOT allow then? Pity.
Old 06-10-2010, 21:07   #9
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

NTL and Telewest are the old names for Virgin. The freephone numbers work fine but note the price is a little higher than for BT customers. Virgin is probably accommodating because they receive this price difference.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57   #10
ess1
Inactive

Thanks for info.
Old 08-10-2010, 15:22   #11
David H
cf.member

I just discovered that myself. I joined 18185 and found their call charges are almost double advertised. It's still a fraction of Virgin but still not as cheap as my mobile now for some calls so will have to use that as well. Does anyone know if 1899 do the same trick before I try them instead?
Old 14-10-2010, 12:58   #12
inneedofhelp
Inactive

There's no "trick" - the prices are on the website so you know exactly what you will pay. The reason is that running a freephone number costs more than a short code, so both companies will cost more than for BT.
Old 14-10-2010, 16:33   #13
David H
cf.member

There was a trick of some description as making data either prominent or visible is the task of the web designer. As the 'reasonable person' in law is taken as Mr Average, then if I as Mr Average read the website, their only means of communication, and am unable to see hidden wherever they have hidden it a second set of prices for cable, then it is a trick. I have no idea where those prices were put, I looked twice, once when deciding and once after getting the higher charges, but nothing was to be seen. I am assuming they are indeed present otherwise they would be breaking advertising law, but if small print and deeply hidden links are responsible then although they are always within the law it is not going to win them any friends. And as they are still a fraction of the cost of cable and have no other companies to compete with (I am assuming the other has almost identical prices as well) it's not as if customers have anything better on offer so may as well avoid the nasty shock.
I haven't had the time or patience to look a third time for the prices to cable customers but would be interested as an exercise to see if anyone else is able to find them.
Old 14-10-2010, 18:11   #14
inneedofhelp
Inactive

I sympathise in that we want results so quickly on the web that we tend to miss what's in front of our very noses.

In this case, check out the front page of the site as quoted in post #2 above. The company would probably say the link was prominent.
Old 02-11-2010, 14:48   #15
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
There was a trick of some description as making data either prominent or visible is the task of the web designer. As the 'reasonable person' in law is taken as Mr Average, then if I as Mr Average read the website, their only means of communication, and am unable to see hidden wherever they have hidden it a second set of prices for cable, then it is a trick. I have no idea where those prices were put, I looked twice, once when deciding and once after getting the higher charges, but nothing was to be seen. I am assuming they are indeed present otherwise they would be breaking advertising law, but if small print and deeply hidden links are responsible then although they are always within the law it is not going to win them any friends. And as they are still a fraction of the cost of cable and have no other companies to compete with (I am assuming the other has almost identical prices as well) it's not as if customers have anything better on offer so may as well avoid the nasty shock.
I haven't had the time or patience to look a third time for the prices to cable customers but would be interested as an exercise to see if anyone else is able to find them.
Not sure if your talking about 1899 or 18185? These are the cable (VM) prices.

http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php

http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php

johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote