Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 25-03-2012, 15:30   #1531
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Interesting. I would love to know how many my area has got because we have never had a problem with congestion either. Anyone with a shub in Lincoln?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2012, 10:38   #1532
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Weird thing is though is that this 8 channel area is not and never has been congested..
that isnt weird for VM. I have consistently seen VM treat uncongested areas better.

my area in VMs own words "has extremely high downstream utilisation", and has 4 DS channels.

Although its possible a couple of weeks back they did try to add new DS channels (when I had all that downtime) and it got bodged up so they delayed it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 23:02   #1533
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Lincoln is still on 4 downstream channels at the minute .Grimsby some areas have 6 and some nodes have 8 .Lincoln is due to have some work done later
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 23:45   #1534
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, we are always last, I don't mind though because my connection is pretty much flawless so I havent got anything to complain about
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 00:03   #1535
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I think you'll find it's us here in Yorkshire that are the last to get anything Heck, we don't even have CallerID here
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 00:05   #1536
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Heck, we don't even have CallerID here
As far as I know yes you do. Only place that doesn't have it due to technical issues is Ilford
Old 27-03-2012, 04:00   #1537
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

i'd llove to know when my area is getting some upgrades as im not able to browse websites as well as before due to lag...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:35   #1538
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As far as I know yes you do. Only place that doesn't have it due to technical issues is Ilford
Okay. Thanks Ben. We certainly didn't have it (possibly for the same - or similar - technical issues as Ilford - the last time I enquired. But that was back in ... erm... 2010 I think.
Old 27-03-2012, 14:27   #1539
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

according to a street tech the outage in lecs was a bodged upgrade job. I asked if they had to undo the work to fix and he said yes, delayed 2 months which fits with the new relief date i got from tech support for my congestion. I asked how many were affected but he wouldnt tell me. So I will check the upgrade page now to see if the dates get pushed back (was july).

Also the my virgin media page now shows the green box and I on the new doubled speeds (with my 30meg config, with 2 meg upload).
Old 27-03-2012, 16:21   #1540
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

'bodged'?

Not every upgrade (hardware or software) goes according to plan, for a multitude of reasons - that does not necessarily mean it was 'bodged'...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 03:00   #1541
data0002
cf.addict

Services: 120mg Broadband (Virgin) telephone (Virgin media) 2 x Tivo
data0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine have now gone up to 7 downstream channels from 6 in the last half hour, i know that because i connected a dlink 615 to the superhub and it was only 6, then when i set both routers up i done another reboot and the superhub added another channel. also nothing else had changed still on 100/5
data0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 11:18   #1542
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
'bodged'?

Not every upgrade (hardware or software) goes according to plan, for a multitude of reasons - that does not necessarily mean it was 'bodged'...
over 24 hours of downtime for 5 postcode areas and then aborted, bodged to me.
Old 28-03-2012, 11:38   #1543
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Still not within the definition of a "bodge job" though.
Old 28-03-2012, 11:54   #1544
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
'bodged'?

If it was anything like some of the contractors that BT use, then it may well have been bodged.

I was talking to a friend who is a BT engineer yesterday. And he told me some stories abot contractors. There is one team who have to have two BT engineers following them around, and putting right things that they have done wrong. Then there was another team who were supposed to install a line from a pole, that had to go around to the back of the house. Apparently due to the fact that it would take more than 20 mins, they put a plug on the line on the pole, did a test there, and signed the job off. And didn't even do the install.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 19:46   #1545
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
If it was anything like some of the contractors that BT use, then it may well have been bodged.

I was talking to a friend who is a BT engineer yesterday. And he told me some stories abot contractors. There is one team who have to have two BT engineers following them around, and putting right things that they have done wrong. Then there was another team who were supposed to install a line from a pole, that had to go around to the back of the house. Apparently due to the fact that it would take more than 20 mins, they put a plug on the line on the pole, did a test there, and signed the job off. And didn't even do the install.
Tenuous link, to say the least.

Quite what a BT issue has to do with VM, I don't know.