Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Transfer tel 01708 to 0208

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Transfer tel 01708 to 0208

Old 12-07-2010, 19:40   #1
daz196
Inactive

Services: Tv size XL Phone 20mb ntl255
daz196 is on a distinguished roaddaz196 is on a distinguished road
Transfer tel 01708 to 0208

Hi,i have a small business,the telephone number is 01708 area code,
which is under my partner name,i now have bought him out,its now all mine,
i live in 0208 area,i wanting to know if i can still keep that 01708 number to transfer all calls to 0208 or a mobile number,just for the first year,
do you know a way of doing these,
we are both on virgin,
thanks
daz
daz196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 22:05   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Transfer tel 01708 to 0208

If you want it on a fixed line then it wont work with Virgin as your geographical location determines your phone area code and there will only be one Telco switch that serves your home... so it will work only if that switch supports that phone number range, i wouldnt think it would.

You could try Vonage if Virgin cant help, they can port the number to a virtual line but you will rely on a working broadband connection for the phone service to work.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 21:03   #3
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Port the number over to a Voip provider, and put on a call divert! simple
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 23:47   #4
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Port the number over to a Voip provider, and put on a call divert! simple
What he said. VoiceHost is particularly good for this, and we can port the numbers from Virgin (usually). Diverting to a UK landline costs 1p per minute.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Sorry, I should probably elaborate how this is achievable rather than just plug a seemingly random but brilliant VoIP company which I may (or may not) work for......

Traditional landlines can only be forwarded and pointed into the exchange switch from which they originate (this is a BT restriction based on the technology they provide, Virgin copies this), usually this is another number in its surrounding area code that it can forward to, so you can only forward your number on its landline to an 01708 number. You can't for instance point a Chelmsford number (01245) to a London (020) number this way.

The only way this is feasibly possible to point and forward the landline calls to another landline or a mobile is to port the number to a VoIP provider. VoiceHost's PBX gives you control over where those calls route to and exactly what you're charged for it. Changes can be made and effected there and then too.

All this cannot be done with traditional telecoms, landlines and ISDN systems. [opinion] The sooner everybody moves onto VoIP in business the better things will be. [/opinion]
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 23:55   #5
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

I beg to differ, you can divert any number to any number, so to speak. There is nothing stopping you from having a 01752 number (plymouth) diverting to 01392 (exeter) for example, but the originating number needs to have a physical presence somewhere, which to me sounds like the poster wishes to shut up shop at one office and have the number pointing to the other office so no lost business. Hence the VoIP solution may save him alot of money.

Forgive me if im wrong, either that or I have misread your post.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 13:05   #6
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I beg to differ, you can divert any number to any number, so to speak. There is nothing stopping you from having a 01752 number (plymouth) diverting to 01392 (exeter) for example, but the originating number needs to have a physical presence somewhere, which to me sounds like the poster wishes to shut up shop at one office and have the number pointing to the other office so no lost business. Hence the VoIP solution may save him alot of money.

Forgive me if im wrong, either that or I have misread your post.
This is correct, however it cannot be done *traditionally*, i.e. ask Virgin to point the number elsewhere. It can be done by porting the number to a VoIP provider and forwarding it on.

Oh, and if he did port the number to VoiceHost since the forwarding's all done on our platform no internet connection is necessarily needed.
Old 15-07-2010, 15:49   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
This is correct, however it cannot be done *traditionally*, i.e. ask Virgin to point the number elsewhere. It can be done by porting the number to a VoIP provider and forwarding it on.

Oh, and if he did port the number to VoiceHost since the forwarding's all done on our platform no internet connection is necessarily needed.
Do you work off commission?

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 17:58   #8
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Do you work off commission?

Not at all, I just like to explain how and why.

Should probably add a disclaimer in my siggy for here....
Old 17-07-2010, 17:52   #9
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

You can do this with BT - they can even provide you with a working line with a number from another region. It's called an out of area number.

BT also provide a service called SmartNumbers which is effectively 'in the network' smart diversion - smart as in it can vary by time of day

Thirdly BT can provide a simple call forwarding service.

So it's not true to say BT have restrictions in this - they can offer the same servcies all of these VoIP telcos claim can only be done via IP. In fact to divert a number like this IP isn't required at all, as these services have been available for years well before VoIP was in use.

I am not sure what Virgin will do in this respect, but I woudl be very surprised if they didn't have a network based diversion option.

Certainly their exchanges are capable of it it's whether they offer it as a service.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:30   #10
daz196
Inactive

Services: Tv size XL Phone 20mb ntl255
daz196 is on a distinguished roaddaz196 is on a distinguished road

I rang up a few phone companies,i think the best for me is to just put call divert on to my new number,so diverts straight away,its only temporary,about a year
thanks for all your info.
daz196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:53   #11
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Just to note: 020 is the code for Greater London, the 3,7 or the 8 is part of your phone number.

You can have a:

020 3
020 7
020 8

Anywhere in London, the old 0171(071) and 0181(081) system went out the window 10 years ago and was permenantly withdrawn in October 2000.

Formatting the numbers as 0207 and 0208 is actually incorrect. If you need a second line or a second phone number or use BT Homehub or a similar Voip telephone service and want a London number, you will be given a 020 3 number. There is a shortage of numbers and to avoid another numberchange 020 3 was introduced to combat the problem as well as the new national 03 numbers for businesses.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote