Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 01-12-2016, 13:28   #1726
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
So much negativity!
Virgin announced the Virgin Store yesterday, although it's not launching until February:

I would expect VM to test demand for 4k by putting any 4k content in there, much like they did with 3D.
Well said, nialli, I was beginning to think it was only me welcoming the news of the new V6.

Sure, there are some disappointments, such as the absence of a 2TB box, but the 4k content that we have to look forward to (and I have not heard anywhere that Virgin Movies won't be offering this), the 6 tuners and the fast speeds, as well as the ability to stream between boxes, is all welcome stuff.

We should not be expecting much 4k content initially, but this will come with time, and I dare say VM are busily trying to put together new deals for such content as we speak.

I fully expect a better range of apps to start appearing as well before too long; after all, the new box is designed for apps and this is completely in keeping with the direction of travel.

The main problem I think will be in wresting 4k content from Sky and BT, although it may become available to us after the first year.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 13:38   #1727
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume one will need to sign up for another 12 month contract to avail of the new V6 at the £50 price? My contract (Full House XL) expires at the end of March.... I would happily pay the £50 to get a new box as my current TiVo one is so frustratingly slow. I'm not too bothered by 4K etc. yet as I don't have a 4K telly, although it is on my wishlist for the New Year. However, I don't know if I want to lock myself into another 12 months just to get a faster box...
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 13:48   #1728
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

I Rang up today to see if i can get V6 box but was today ring again in January and keep in touch with My Virgin Media too so not getting it for xmas
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 13:59   #1729
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Lets spin this another way. What can SKYQ do that the V6 can't. ? What does skyq have that is "game changing" when compared to the V6. ?
It's a fair question!

As a 28 year cable TV customer (United Artists -> Telewest -> Virgin, maybe some other names I've forgotten!), who finally gave up on it. As someone who has no love for Sky - I hate what Sky Sports has done to sport and the accessibility of sport in the UK. As someone who would love some competition pushing forward TV and stuck by cable through promise after promise over the years. As someone who kept Virgin Broadband and would love to come back to Virgin TV for a genuinely competitive offer:

- The main thing is the content - 4K sport (football and next year F1). 4K movies, on subscription with Sky Cinema and Pay per View. 4K TV drama, limited at the moment, but at least there.

- From a pure tech spec point of view - 12 tuners, not 6 like the 2013 TiVo Roamio. Allowing simultaneous recording of 4 shows, plus live TV on 5 devices (3 TVs and 2 tablets), plus extra tuners to "next gen" the interface (live channel previews for example). I don't think the ability to use more tuners for recording, but then not available for viewing, will benefit many, if any users.

- Mini boxes which can do just about everything the main box can do - watch live TV, recordings, on demand - with no need for anything other than a mains socket - and which TiVo themselves have had for years.

- An interface that is still in development and far from perfect, but just "feels" current, compared to the TiVo. It's genuinely UHD. Live previews are impressive. It is identical (adjusting to screen size) on all devices - main TV, Mini boxes, tablets and phones and at home on them all. It feels a modern interface, for those used to smartphones and tablets. All of this is subjective, I grant you, but it just felt like a breath of fresh air to all my family, coming from TiVo, even after the latest update.

- I hesitate to mention the Sky mesh network, which is genuinely "next-gen", but at the moment maybe a bit too cutting edge and possibly flaky! It is a supposed to build a more reliable home network by interconnecting all Sky devices, using multiple paths, over wifi and by built-in Powerline, for both video streaming and normal WiFi for home devices. Personally, I have it all disabled! My boxes are all connected by Ethernet, which works well with my Virgin broadband . But there is no question it's aspirations and technology is "pushing the envelope".

Now all of this may be uninteresting to some/a lot of people, and fair enough, but I think it's enough to claim "next-gen" in a way the V6 simply cannot.

Last edited by Jong1; 01-12-2016 at 14:19.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 14:15   #1730
eljay
Inactive

Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
eljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rough

In my humble opinion the V6 is only likely to retain the VM customers who are maybe fed up with the Tivo (like I was) and thinking of moving on. In it's present form I cannot see it pulling customers away from Sky or even challenging the Sky Q on a like for like basis.

No 4K content (free of pay per view) and providing no other significant advantage, will surely limit any new take up from other providers.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 14:17   #1731
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I fully expect a better range of apps to start appearing as well before too long; after all, the new box is designed for apps and this is completely in keeping with the direction of travel.
Sorry, I have to link this article from 2010 once again! http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/cable...ng-apps-to-tv/

What happened to that? I'll tell you what I think. It was next to impossible to get people to build apps for the TiVo, unless funded by Virgin.

And I would argue the need for such a facility is far less now than it was in 2010. Almost all modern TVs have slick app capability themselves. Almost all the apps Virgin will have will already be available on them. This is certainly true of Netflix and YouTube, the only 4K ones so far. If people do not want or cannot use their TV for apps there are numerous, cheap, far more feature-rich boxes that are really built for apps - Roku, Amazon Fire TV etc. I find it hard to see how the V6 will win in the app market against these other solutions with almost certainly a far greater range of apps available, more frequently updated.

Last edited by Jong1; 01-12-2016 at 14:23.
Old 01-12-2016, 14:23   #1732
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
In my humble opinion the V6 is only likely to retain the VM customers who are maybe fed up with the Tivo (like I was) and thinking of moving on. In it's present form I cannot see it pulling customers away from Sky or even challenging the Sky Q on a like for like basis.

No 4K content (free of pay per view) and providing no other significant advantage, will surely limit any new take up from other providers.
I think VM's offerings will develop over time so I will judge them properly in a year's time.
I can't see the point of VM not making its standard boxes 4K compatible bearing in mind they will last about five years plus if they're to sign up customers in Project Lightning homes, they need a box that's fast and the current Tivo isn't.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 14:55   #1733
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
It's a fair question!

As a 28 year cable TV customer (United Artists -> Telewest -> Virgin, maybe some other names I've forgotten!), who finally gave up on it. As someone who has no love for Sky - I hate what Sky Sports has done to sport and the accessibility of sport in the UK. As someone who would love some competition pushing forward TV and stuck by cable through promise after promise over the years. As someone who kept Virgin Broadband and would love to come back to Virgin TV for a genuinely competitive offer:

- The main thing is the content - 4K sport (football and next year F1). 4K movies, on subscription with Sky Cinema and Pay per View. 4K TV drama, limited at the moment, but at least there.

- From a pure tech spec point of view - 12 tuners, not 6 like the 2013 TiVo Roamio. Allowing simultaneous recording of 4 shows, plus live TV on 5 devices (3 TVs and 2 tablets), plus extra tuners to "next gen" the interface (live channel previews for example). I don't think the ability to use more tuners for recording, but then not available for viewing, will benefit many, if any users.

- Mini boxes which can do just about everything the main box can do - watch live TV, recordings, on demand - with no need for anything other than a mains socket - and which TiVo themselves have had for years.

- An interface that is still in development and far from perfect, but just "feels" current, compared to the TiVo. It's genuinely UHD. Live previews are impressive. It is identical (adjusting to screen size) on all devices - main TV, Mini boxes, tablets and phones and at home on them all. It feels a modern interface, for those used to smartphones and tablets. All of this is subjective, I grant you, but it just felt like a breath of fresh air to all my family, coming from TiVo, even after the latest update.

- I hesitate to mention the Sky mesh network, which is genuinely "next-gen", but at the moment maybe a bit too cutting edge and possibly flaky! It is a supposed to build a more reliable home network by interconnecting all Sky devices, using multiple paths, over wifi and by built-in Powerline, for both video streaming and normal WiFi for home devices. Personally, I have it all disabled! My boxes are all connected by Ethernet, which works well with my Virgin broadband . But there is no question it's aspirations and technology is "pushing the envelope".

Now all of this may be uninteresting to some/a lot of people, and fair enough, but I think it's enough to claim "next-gen" in a way the V6 simply cannot.
I think many people are not thinking much about "4K tv", until there is a 4K tv channel. Not just the occasional red button stuff that sky offers. When 4K tv channels come along, that will be when 4k starts to register more in most peoples minds.

Personally I prefer the ability to record more channels at once. In my view, why would anyone want to watch a top rated tv show or a decent film on a tiny little screen on a tablet. I only watch this stuff on a big screen with decent sound, i'm sure many people are the same.

Mini boxes, the V6 is pretty mini in it's self. Also I doubt a little bit of extra size bothers most people. And usually the people who can afford top packages, and who have all the best equipment sky or virgin have available. Those folks wont be living in a small pokey places, they will have decent space available.

Personally if a interface is fast, I know Tivo have had problems with slowness on and off ( my Tivo is now fast since the last software update ). But if it's fast and looks decent enough, and it's straight forward enough to navigate and use. I don't really care beyond that. After all, it's only a means to get you to what you want to watch. The content is the main course not some super flashy interface.

Underneath the marketing, overall there really isn't much between sky and virgin these days.

Last edited by mot12; 01-12-2016 at 15:01.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:01   #1734
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I think many people are not thinking much about "4K tv", until there is a 4K tv channel. Not just the occasional red button stuff that sky offers. When 4K tv channels come along, that will be when 4k starts to register more in most peoples minds.

Personally I prefer the ability to record more channels at once. In my view, why would anyone want to watch a top rated tv show or a decent film on a tiny little screen on a tablet. I only watch this stuff on a big screen with decent sound, i'm sure many people are the same.

Mini boxes, the V6 is pretty mini in it's self. Also I doubt a little bit of extra size bothers most people. And usually the people who can afford top packages, and who have all the best equipment sky or virgin have available. Those folks wont be living in a small pokey places, they will have decent space available.

Personally if a interface is fast, I know Tivo have had problems with this on and off ( my Tivo is now fast since the last software update ). But if it's fast and looks decent enough, and it's straight forward enough to navigate and use. I don't really care beyond that. After all, it's only a means to get you to what you want to watch. The content is the main course not some super flashy interface.

Underneath the marketing, overall there really isn't much between sky and virgin these days.
Well said. I've just posted similar sentiments over on the VMHD blog: http://vmhd.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/r...virgin-tv.html
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:10   #1735
rscott101
Inactive

rscott101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Personally if a interface is fast, I know Tivo have had problems with slowness on and off ( my Tivo is now fast since the last software update ). But if it's fast and looks decent enough, and it's straight forward enough to navigate and use. I don't really care beyond that. After all, it's only a means to get you to what you want to watch. The content is the main course not some super flashy interface.

The v6 may be small, but still requires a coax feed in whichever room you want to use it. The Q minis can just be plugged into the mains and used in whatever room you like. Much less hassle than having extra cables installed..

Q will be able to record 6 programmes at a time next year, so will match the v6 capacity.
rscott101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:19   #1736
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott101 View Post
The v6 may be small, but still requires a coax feed in whichever room you want to use it. The Q minis can just be plugged into the mains and used in whatever room you like. Much less hassle than having extra cables installed..

Q will be able to record 6 programmes at a time next year, so will match the v6 capacity.
Extra cables that are hid well by the installers. One man's hassle is another man's no big deal, no problem. Many people still don't want a dish up on their house. Horses for courses.

Personally I don't see a couple of guys here for a couple of hours as hassle. Once it's done it's done.

That's coming soon then. lol

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Well said. I've just posted similar sentiments over on the VMHD blog: http://vmhd.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/r...virgin-tv.html
Nice blog. I've read your blog on and off for years. As can be seen been a member of this site for years. Used to post years ago, then went to just reading now and again. Thought i'd post again now though, since it's V6 time. lol
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:20   #1737
Jong1
Inactive

Well guys, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you will see quite a few here and a few of the early reviews, that are not just rewrites of the press release, disagree.

I get that a lot of people are not "4K ready", technologically or emotionally, but there is little doubt it is "next-gen". And "occasional red button stuff" does not really adequately describe the ability to watch and record in your absence 4K sport, or the ability to watch some Sky Atlantic shows in 4K/UHD at the time of first broadcast.

Mini boxes with no HDD are cheaper, more suited to quiet environment, like a bedroom and need no cabling. it is these things, not the size, that gives them the edge over a whole 2nd box.

Using the same size HDD as 6 years ago is odd.

Interfaces are a personal thing, I accept.

If you have no interest in these or the other things I listed that's fine, there may indeed be little noticeable difference to you. V6 will I am sure be good enough and, as you say Nialli, it sure is a step up from the 6 year-old TiVo!. But for those who are looking for a next-gen TV box the V6, with it's largely dated specification (4K "capability" aside) is not it and there is a lot more difference to those that do care for Sky Q's capabilities than "marketing".

ps. Do you really ever find yourself needing to record more than 4 things simultaneously? I know it's possible but....!

pps. I too read and have sometimes commented on your blog Nialli. It's been really useful over the years. Thanks for your service to the community

Last edited by Jong1; 01-12-2016 at 15:29.
Old 01-12-2016, 15:47   #1738
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
also the delays, 30th Nov, 6th December, before the end of the year? this means to order but when to receive. Is there a problem with install or something else. all the V6ers seem quiet atm.
I've posted any problems that i've encountered in an honest way, but overall I am pleased with the V6 as it currently suits my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
There was a post from one of the installers that said it was put on hold due to a problem with the activation system that meant an install would take an impossibly long time to do. I guess it depends on whether they can do self-installs for some customers. Plus there are reports that urgent fix/updates are required, especially for it it work with some brands of tv.
This was a problem that I encountered which I posted about, had no idea it had affected others though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think they're missing a trick with no 4K PAYG movies, this looks like something easier to pull off than a deal for Amazon, BT Sport or Sky Sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post

Free YouTube 4K content & pay Netflix 4K content are available.

A source of a member in the Coming Soon thread has stated that 4K content is coming to VM in the first quarter of 2017.

He thinks this will be in the form of PPV movies and Discovery content.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:53   #1739
rscott101
Inactive

rscott101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Extra cables that are hid well by the installers. One man's hassle is another man's no big deal, no problem. Many people still don't want a dish up on their house. Horses for courses.

Personally I don't see a couple of guys here for a couple of hours as hassle. Once it's done it's done.

That's coming soon then. lol
Yep, until you decide you want to move the box to another part of the room, or even another room altogether.. Then you need Virgin out again.

The v6 looks to me just like an incremental update to the current Tivo box, fixing some of the performance issues. The 4k support seems a bit of a '"well, the chipset supports it, so might as well use it" feature.

The Q update has apparently started staff beta testing already, so seems on target for early next year.

Does the v6 support split screen at all? Q can show multiple views on Sky Sports. For example, I can watch a live football match and, alongside it, replays of major incidents. Or F1 race control lets me choose 2 of about 6 feeds to display side by side - can be in car views, timing screen, etc.
rscott101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:58   #1740
Jong1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott101 View Post
Does the v6 support split screen at all? Q can show multiple views on Sky Sports. For example, I can watch a live football match and, alongside it, replays of major incidents. Or F1 race control lets me choose 2 of about 6 feeds to display side by side - can be in car views, timing screen, etc.
Good extra point. Another use for all those tuners other than recording 6 shows at once! Of course it's just "marketing" if you're not interested