Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 01-12-2016, 11:47   #1696
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
don't you feel that the launch was very understated. mention of tivo seems all but evaporated. Do VM's new owners not want to highlight a rival box? I wonder if VM signed the deal for the V6 before the sale, so liberty are stuck with it for 5 years?
If you compare it to the Sky Q marketing which has advertising its box every other advert, VM's was a bit of a whimper in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I like Idris Elba, but I've had enough of him going on about the Sky Q box hahaha

Virgin don't seem to be shouting from the rooftop about their brilliant new box...seems strange, yeah.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 11:51   #1697
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
If you compare it to the Sky Q marketing which has advertising its box every other advert, VM's was a bit of a whimper in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I like Idris Elba, but I've had enough of him going on about the Sky Q box hahaha

Virgin don't seem to be shouting from the rooftop about their brilliant new box...seems strange, yeah.
also the delays, 30th Nov, 6th December, before the end of the year? this means to order but when to receive. Is there a problem with install or something else. all the V6ers seem quiet atm.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57   #1698
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Even if Virgin advertised more Sky have always advertised extremely heavily due to their much bigger advertising pot which they have but remember the age old motto of just because it is advertised more does not necessarily mean it is a superior product.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03   #1699
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

$ky Q press release was on 18/11/15 but didn't go on sale uintil February 2016.

So a VM press launch on 30/11/16 stating that their new V6 will be out within a few weeks is pretty good IMHO.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:07   #1700
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

hope it becomes available before Christmas.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15   #1701
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
also the delays, 30th Nov, 6th December, before the end of the year? this means to order but when to receive. Is there a problem with install or something else. all the V6ers seem quiet atm.
There was a post from one of the installers that said it was put on hold due to a problem with the activation system that meant an install would take an impossibly long time to do. I guess it depends on whether they can do self-installs for some customers. Plus there are reports that urgent fix/updates are required, especially for it it work with some brands of tv.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:19   #1702
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Even if Virgin advertised more Sky have always advertised extremely heavily due to their much bigger advertising pot which they have but remember the age old motto of just because it is advertised more does not necessarily mean it is a superior product.
I'm not suggesting VM advertise as aggressive as Sky, but would be nice to see something else apart from Elba's handsome face lol

I did wonder though, if Sky have been advertising so much, is it because VM are about to release the V6, but also because they have agreed a deal for 4K content?...VM may not be able to release details of it just yet...maybe I'm just living in a dream land :-)
Old 01-12-2016, 12:22   #1703
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm not suggesting VM advertise as aggressive as Sky, but would be nice to see something else apart from Elba's handsome face lol
Although he is a fine actor the more you see him in those adverts the more he grates on me.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23   #1704
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Although he is a fine actor the more you see him in those adverts the more he grates on me.
hahahaha same here
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23   #1705
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
You can use both IR and Bluetooth remotes with it.
It doesn't support Bluetooth. The new remote uses RF4CE.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:32   #1706
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
There was a post from one of the installers that said it was put on hold due to a problem with the activation system that meant an install would take an impossibly long time to do. I guess it depends on whether they can do self-installs for some customers. Plus there are reports that urgent fix/updates are required, especially for it it work with some brands of tv.
They had activation problems with the original TiVo rollout. From what I recall from the briefing we were given (It was like 5 years ago now, so forgive me if the details are off), it's something to do with how the box gets activated with both Virgin (like any CPE) and Tivo themselves. Effectively, if it doesn't get activated correctly on one of the two systems, the box bricked itself or something daft like that.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41   #1707
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I did wonder though, if Sky have been advertising so much, is it because VM are about to release the V6, but also because they have agreed a deal for 4K content?...VM may not be able to release details of it just yet...maybe I'm just living in a dream land :-)
I can't imagine Sky are the slightest bit bothered by the V6. It's the very least Virgin could possibly announced and IMO (I respect anyone who disagrees) a massive damp squib.

- Same size HDD as the TiVo, announced 6 years ago
- Same number of tuners as TiVo announced for their Roamio in 2013
- A relaunch of "the box for apps" idea that was tried and failed with the original TiVo 6 years ago
- 4K capable, yes, but that pretty much comes for free with any chipset in late 2016
- No 4K content that UHD TV owners will not have already. Not even a 4K version of Virgin Movies to go up against Amazon Video, Sky Store and others
- No multi-room strategy, other than pay for more full blown boxes
- A hobbled tablet for TV viewing, when tablet viewing has already been commonplace for years

I really can't see how there is anything here that is either "brilliant" or "game changing".
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46   #1708
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
They had activation problems with the original TiVo rollout. From what I recall from the briefing we were given (It was like 5 years ago now, so forgive me if the details are off), it's something to do with how the box gets activated with both Virgin (like any CPE) and Tivo themselves. Effectively, if it doesn't get activated correctly on one of the two systems, the box bricked itself or something daft like that.
It was the most annoying problem during my time with Virgin that they never listen to what people are saying and fix their problems. I was reading about Sir Richard Branson just in the last few days saying how he attributes all of his success to listening more than speaking. Just sad to me, that this hadn't applied to Virgin tv.

Incidentally I had a similar problem with activation not working with my new Hub 3.0 just a couple of weeks ago. That took hours to resolve.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:54   #1709
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Other then having a smaller financial stake Sir Richard Branson has absolutely no influence in the way Virgin Media is run..
Old 01-12-2016, 12:56   #1710
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
- No 4K content that UHD TV owners will not have already. Not even a 4K version of Virgin Movies to go up against Amazon Video, Sky Store and others
I think they're missing a trick with no 4K PAYG movies, this looks like something easier to pull off than a deal for Amazon, BT Sport or Sky Sports.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote