Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 15:53   #1621
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

AFAIK There will be no copying of existing recordings to V6, just series links, wish lists and thumbs.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 15:55   #1622
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Yes, mate. As I understand it, that would work as both boxes would be connected to your router

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Would they do this if I no longer wanted my current Tivo though?

I'm thinking of getting two V6s to replace my current Tivo downstairs and V+HD upstairs. Before taking the old Tivo away, do you think they would left me transfer data?
Cool. I can handle one ethernet cable connection. The router is in our bedroom so that's fine. Having two current Tivo's streaming is a no, no. Can't have ethernet cable all over the house, and the other half definitely can't/wont. lol
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:55   #1623
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
AFAIK There will be no copying of existing recordings to V6, just series links, wish lists and thumbs.
Yeah it'll be using the same copy process used when a box is replaced.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:58   #1624
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Ahh that's a bummer. The loss of recordings is more important that keeping settings. Guess I'll just have to watch everything because V6 comes...Could be a while then lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:58   #1625
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Cool. I can handle one ethernet cable connection. The router is in our bedroom so that's fine. Having two current Tivo's streaming is a no, no. Can't have ethernet cable all over the house, and the other half definitely can't/wont. lol
I tested my one of my Tivo's streaming via a WiFI access point. Won't be needed if you get a V6 but worth considering if you don't. Just need a short patch cable from your TiVO to the AP and it then connects to your wifi network. tested it before using it to connect my parents' tv to their wifi.
Old 30-11-2016, 15:58   #1626
kingdaveontour
Inactive

kingdaveontour is an unknown quantity at this point

When can we order the V6?
kingdaveontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:59   #1627
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaveontour View Post
When can we order the V6?
Before the end of the year appears to be all that's known atm.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:02   #1628
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Ahh that's a bummer. The loss of recordings is more important that keeping settings. Guess I'll just have to watch everything because V6 comes...Could be a while then lol
Sorry I misread your question as just the metadata about the series links and not the actual recordings themselves....my bad.
Old 30-11-2016, 16:02   #1629
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There are still many people who just have a conventional TV, a proportion of whom also have a set top box.

Although the V6 is 4k, it is likely that it will replace the existing Tivo altogether at some point, and so there will still be a lot of people who would appreciate having Netflix and Amazon on their set top boxes.

However, I agree that if you have a 4K TV, you will also have these apps on there. There will still be the advantage that you can search just the once to see if the programme you are looking for is available from your recordings, broadcast linear TV, Netflix, etc.
Yep, I mentioned the search benefit. Think that's quite minor though, personally.

My main point is what is the point of the only two 4K services available at launch being things that almost every 4K TV owner already has on his TV. I can see no reason why I would use the TiVo for Netflix, especially as my TV's Netflix app supports Dolby Vision HDR. I imagine the Virgin V6 will only support HDR10 (since Dolby Vision requires a Dolby licensed chipset in the receiver and I am sure Virgin would have mentioned if they had one).
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:03   #1630
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
This article suggests that transferring settings and recordings is possible:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...h/ba-p/3269538
Is the ability to watch recordings on mobile/tablet devices restricted to certain channels , if so is there a lIst of which are included?

From your link under the TV Anywhere section
Quote:
Customers can watch live TV, thousands of hours of on demand box sets and selected Virgin TV V6 box recordings anywhere at home over WiFi.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:07   #1631
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There are still many people who just have a conventional TV, a proportion of whom also have a set top box.

Although the V6 is 4k, it is likely that it will replace the existing Tivo altogether at some point, and so there will still be a lot of people who would appreciate having Netflix and Amazon on their set top boxes.

However, I agree that if you have a 4K TV, you will also have these apps on there. There will still be the advantage that you can search just the once to see if the programme you are looking for is available from your recordings, broadcast linear TV, Netflix, etc.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Yes, as soon as I sent that message, I thought that as the old Tivos did not have wi-fi, cabling was the only answer. If VM don't offer cabling up as part of the service, I'll pass on that one!
You can do it via power line i think
Old 30-11-2016, 16:08   #1632
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Is the ability to watch recordings on mobile/tablet devices restricted to certain channels , if so is there a lIst of which are included?

From your link under the TV Anywhere section
I saw an indication somewhere today, might have been twitter, that the ability to download content would be limited to some recordings. Not sure about the streaming. Have to admit streaming to mobile devices is not a priority for me so haven't been paying attention to details on that.

However I can't imagine they'd bring out a tablet if you could only stream a small percentage of recordings/on demand...but then it's ahrd to imagine a company announcing a releases date of "before the end of the year" in what is essentially the last 4 weeks of the year.
Old 30-11-2016, 16:27   #1633
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
I saw an indication somewhere today, might have been twitter, that the ability to download content would be limited to some recordings. Not sure about the streaming. Have to admit streaming to mobile devices is not a priority for me so haven't been paying attention to details on that.

However I can't imagine they'd bring out a tablet if you could only stream a small percentage of recordings/on demand...but then it's ahrd to imagine a company announcing a releases date of "before the end of the year" in what is essentially the last 4 weeks of the year.
hahaha that's very true. The end of the year is very close

I was told by VM online chat guy to register my interest
https://keepup.virginmedia.com/befirst

I've done it loads of time, but doesn't seem to register anywhere lol
It doesn't ask for many details either...hmmm
Old 30-11-2016, 16:30   #1634
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Been reading these pages and various links with interest today, my opinion for what it's worth:

Really struggling to see what is 'game changing'. I'm sure every bullet point mentioned is available elsewhere. Maybe 6 tuners is the only one which is in next years Sky Q update according to a link posted a few pages back.

A few people have mentioned getting 2 or even 3 V6 boxes at £50 each although I haven't seen anything official from VM to say this will be the case if ordering more than one. Don't be surprised if only the first one is £50.

No additional monthly fee is of course very welcome. VM would have been hard pushed to charge more with the information given.

Tellytablet was a surprise but hardly innovative when a lot of households have tablets already. Laugh of the day came when they compared it to watching content on a 50 inch TV.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:33   #1635
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Been reading these pages and various links with interest today, my opinion for what it's worth:

Really struggling to see what is 'game changing'. I'm sure every bullet point mentioned is available elsewhere. Maybe 6 tuners is the only one which is in next years Sky Q update according to a link posted a few pages back.

A few people have mentioned getting 2 or even 3 V6 boxes at £50 each although I haven't seen anything official from VM to say this will be the case if ordering more than one. Don't be surprised if only the first one is £50.

No additional monthly fee is of course very welcome. VM would have been hard pushed to charge more with the information given.

Tellytablet was a surprise but hardly innovative when a lot of households have tablets already. Laugh of the day came when they compared it to watching content on a 50 inch TV.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that
Have to wait for more official pricings before deciding whether to go with 1 or 2 V6s