Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 15:10   #1606
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Just used the Virgin Media chat service to try and add TV/V6 to my exiting broadband package, I was advised it's not available yet & they are only supplying to select customers as part or a pilot, please see link to register your interest. Have I missed something (I don't typically follow the virgin TV developments)
It hasn't been released for order yet.
Old 30-11-2016, 15:13   #1607
markliffen@googl
Inactive

markliffen@googl is on a distinguished roadmarkliffen@googl is on a distinguished road

I have a TiVo downstairs and a v+ upstairs. I'm thinking of getting the v6 for downstairs would I be able to keep the TiVo and get rid of the v+ or would they want the TiVo back. Also would I be able to share recordings between TiVo and v6 or would I need 2 v6 boxes to do this . Thanks
markliffen@googl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:14   #1608
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Virgin Media should have streamed the event live but they didn't bother i wonder how long before the boxes start rolling out i have a 4k tv all ready so would like to try a box this tivo box that i have 4 weeks is still as slow as the replacement was
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:14   #1609
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
With the V6s using Wi-Fi, won't this eliminate the need for Ethernet cables or homeplugs?
You'd think but I'm only putting out a word of caution...the current boxes seem quite particular about the network setup. Wifi may help or it may hinder this.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:23   #1610
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

They could at least have announced 4K movies through Virgin Movies. Sky Cinema and Sky Store are not the only source for 4K movies. Amazon have a lot , some free, some chargeable, for streaming through their app. Google Play will soon have 4K movies and shows too.

The clue is in the statement about Virgin customers not demanding 4K football. They clearly see themselves as the cheap subscription TV service and are prepared to cede the high spending customer to Sky.

4K is clearly a "tick-list item" for them at this time, hoping that those who are not that interested in a premium TV service and don't do much research will see it on their adverts and assume equivalence.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Virgin Media should have streamed the event live but they didn't bother i wonder how long before the boxes start rolling out i have a 4k tv all ready so would like to try a box this tivo box that i have 4 weeks is still as slow as the replacement was
Rob, doesn't your TV have Netflix and YouTube in 4K already? I'm genuinely confused who these people are who need another box for these services, except for the nice-but-hardly-essential benefit of being able to search across the different services - on demand and broadcast.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:23   #1611
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

If it is easy to stream from a Tivo to a V6 box via wifi, that would be good news. I would then just have to replace my V HD box in my bedroom with my existing Tivo. I was concerned about losing the recordings I have on there altogether.

Apparently, you can only record 100 hours of HD programming on the 1 TB V6. This is disappointing, because I wanted to start recording everything in HD, enabling the pictures to be upscaled to near UHD quality. Fortunately, I now have a 4K DVD player/HDD recorder which allows over 500 hours of HD programming. I guess I will just have to record everything from the HD terrestrial channels on there and watch the pay TV stuff from the V6 and the streamed programmes from my old Tivo.

Not the most efficient way of viewing, but hey ho!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:28   #1612
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If it is easy to stream from a Tivo to a V6 box via wifi, that would be good news. I would then just have to replace my V HD box in my bedroom with my existing Tivo. I was concerned about losing the recordings I have on there altogether.

Apparently, you can only record 100 hours of HD programming on the 1 TB V6. This is disappointing, because I wanted to start recording everything in HD, enabling the pictures to be upscaled to near UHD quality. Fortunately, I now have a 4K DVD player/HDD recorder which allows over 500 hours of HD programming. I guess I will just have to record everything from the HD terrestrial channels on there and watch the pay TV stuff from the V6 and the streamed programmes from my old Tivo.

Not the most efficient way of viewing, but hey ho!
Sorry OB, you cannot stream from current Tivo to V6 over Wi-Fi. The current Tivo doesn't have Wi-Fi capabilities. This would have to be done with Ethernet cables.

V6 to V6 can be done via Wi-Fi, which s what's making me think about getting two if they are £49.95 each for higher package customers. This would give 12 tuners and 2TB storage :-)
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:34   #1613
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Rob, doesn't your TV have Netflix and YouTube in 4K already? I'm genuinely confused who these people are who need another box for these services, except for the nice-but-hardly-essential benefit of being able to search across the different services - on demand and broadcast.
There are still many people who just have a conventional TV, a proportion of whom also have a set top box.

Although the V6 is 4k, it is likely that it will replace the existing Tivo altogether at some point, and so there will still be a lot of people who would appreciate having Netflix and Amazon on their set top boxes.

However, I agree that if you have a 4K TV, you will also have these apps on there. There will still be the advantage that you can search just the once to see if the programme you are looking for is available from your recordings, broadcast linear TV, Netflix, etc.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Quote:
Sorry OB, you cannot stream from current Tivo to V6 over Wi-Fi. The current Tivo doesn't have Wi-Fi capabilities. This would have to be done with Ethernet cables.

V6 to V6 can be done via Wi-Fi, which s what's making me think about getting two if they are £49.95 each for higher package customers. This would give 12 tuners and 2TB storage :-)
Yes, as soon as I sent that message, I thought that as the old Tivos did not have wi-fi, cabling was the only answer. If VM don't offer cabling up as part of the service, I'll pass on that one!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:41   #1614
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, as soon as I sent that message, I thought that as the old Tivos did not have wi-fi, cabling was the only answer. If VM don't offer cabling up as part of the service, I'll pass on that one!
It's a bit of a pain, but can't see VM offering up cable, sorry OB.

I was wondering if customers would be able to transfer data from their current Tivo to the V6 during the installation? Would be a great help to keep current recordings and Series Links etc.
Old 30-11-2016, 16:45   #1615
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Anyone know if the V6 will be available for self install. ? £49.95 will do me, don't fancy paying installation fee. And I guess the £14.99 activation fee will apply, so that's £65 in total.

Regarding streaming. Is this correct... ? If I move our current Tivo to our bedroom, and connect it to the router with ethernet cable. And have a V6 downstairs.

With this set up. Will we then be able to watch programs that were recorded on the Tivo upstairs, on our set up downstairs. ?
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:48   #1616
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I was wondering if customers would be able to transfer data from their current Tivo to the V6 during the installation? Would be a great help to keep current recordings and Series Links etc.
This article suggests that transferring settings and recordings is possible:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...h/ba-p/3269538
Old 30-11-2016, 16:50   #1617
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Anyone know if the V6 will be available for self install. ? £49.95 will do me, don't fancy paying installation fee. And I guess the £14.99 activation fee will apply, so that's £65 in total.

Regarding streaming. Is this correct... ? If I move our current Tivo to our bedroom, and connect it to the router with ethernet cable. And have a V6 downstairs.

With this set up. Will we then be able to watch programs that were recorded on the Tivo upstairs, on our set up downstairs. ?
Yes, mate. As I understand it, that would work as both boxes would be connected to your router

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post

Would they do this if I no longer wanted my current Tivo though?

I'm thinking of getting two V6s to replace my current Tivo downstairs and V+HD upstairs. Before taking the old Tivo away, do you think they would left me transfer data?
Old 30-11-2016, 16:51   #1618
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:

The configuration you suggest is exactly what I have and you can watch the TiVo's recordings on the TV connected to the V6. The TiVo, obviously, requires a co-ax connection as well as the Ethernet connection. My TiVo is not connected to a TV.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:53   #1619
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:

If both are on the same network then yes you should be bale to watch recordings on either in either of your 2 rooms unles the V6 has some stange understanding of what constitutes being on the same network but that would be very unlikely. MRS is a great feature.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
My TiVo is not connected to a TV.
Basically a NAS then ;-)
Old 30-11-2016, 16:53   #1620
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post

In theory this is possible, but since getting my V6 i've not been able to do this.

There is currently a fault that has been passed onto TiVo themselves to resolve.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote