Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?
View Poll Results: Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wirless Worldwide merge?
Yes 18 22.50%
No 62 77.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2012, 16:31   #1
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

In light of competition by BT and Sky in the Phone/Broadband/TV market in the UK, I feel that Virgin Media and Cable & Wirless Worldwide merge to form a company to rival BT and Sky, it would help Virgin Media provide more capacity!

But what do you think
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2012, 16:32   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
re: Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

The simple answer is no.
Old 03-02-2012, 16:40   #3
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
In light of competition by BT and Sky in the Phone/Broadband/TV market in the UK, I feel that Virgin Media and Cable & Wirless Worldwide merge to form a company to rival BT and Sky, it would help Virgin Media provide more capacity!

But what do you think
No, Never . This means no. Just incase you did not get that

NO

I have worked for Cable and Wireless after they took control of Nynex and then tried to destroy the cable industry at it is.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:54   #4
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Virgin = Big market share + market leader in many areas (e.g. STB and BB). Why would it eant to commit suicide?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:47   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
Virgin = Big market share + market leader in many areas (e.g. STB and BB). Why would it eant to commit suicide?
Its a proposal from a student who likes his fantasy's about stuff he knows sod all about

Old 03-02-2012, 17:51   #6
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Its a proposal from a student who likes his fantasy's about stuff he knows sod all about
Plus I doubt they would merge. One would have to buy the other and it would be a disaster.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:52   #7
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Considering how badly C&WW are managing our business multisite WAN upgrade then
NO
they are making VM look like the perfect supplier to me at the moment
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:55   #8
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Looks like a NOn-starter to me
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:21   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Looks like a NOn-starter to me
Yep

Old 03-02-2012, 20:36   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It didn't work the first time they tried it in 1996, why should it work now?

I wonder who the one who voted "Yes" was?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:41   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Currently 20 votes for NO and 1 for YES, I think that says it all
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:43   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Well l will give you three guesses Hugh.
Old 03-02-2012, 20:52   #13
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Currently 20 votes for NO and 1 for YES, I think that says it all
Its just what you expect from an Alan Fry Fantasy thread

Old 03-02-2012, 21:39   #14
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Because it is 2012 now, nobody was interested in pay-tv then or internet, 1996 was 16 years ago!

By the way Cable and Wireless worldwide would be broken up, if Virgin Media was to acquire it, it would only be the UK arm and it could boost Virgin Media Business and will be the 2nd largest telecoms provider in the UK.

Anyway the way things are looking, all of them companies will go down the tubes eventually and be swallowed up by European telecoms giants or private equity firms that is how privatisation and free enterprise is in this country.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:25   #15
startoucher
cf.member

Services: TV with Sky, sports/films & includes NetFlix. UFO with TalkTalk 900mb & includes Prime Video
startoucher is a jewel in the roughstartoucher is a jewel in the roughstartoucher is a jewel in the roughstartoucher is a jewel in the roughstartoucher is a jewel in the rough
Re: Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

If memory serves me right, when I joined as it was then it was "BCM" Bell Cable Media that then became Cable And Wireless soon to be "NTL" and now as VM. Ok this is regional I know. But VM have so far offered better customer care and retention offers to their customers than those before. So for me on personal level it's def a BIG NO.
startoucher is offline   Reply With Quote