Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 08-12-2011, 14:03   #61
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
They won't have to! After speaking to someone in Retentions yesterday, they confirmed to me (after a game of 20 questions) that it had been suggested in various meetings that 10mb will be on the way out at somepoint to make 30mb/50mb and 100mb the only tiers available as its too confusing to customers having all the different options currently.
They also confirmed that at present they have the following connections speeds available

2mb (for as they classes it 'the little old granny in the village'
10mb
20mb
30mb
100mb

So really it does make sense to migrate everyone onto a more simpler grading scale.

Again, this is what the Retentions person told me, dont shoot the messenger lol.
but everyone on these lower tiers will require a new modem/hub to move up speed, who is going to pay for that?
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2011, 14:08   #62
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

More likely 20 60 100
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 14:34   #63
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Are SHs now being shipped out left right and centre?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 14:51   #64
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Nope, regular hubs for ten meg and twenty meg customers
Old 08-12-2011, 15:01   #65
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you sure? I've seen a few threads now from 10-20Mb customers having the SH sent to them, not sure whether their mistaken or not
Old 08-12-2011, 15:16   #66
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I'm actually right on the verge of leaving VM completely, if they don't sort my current problems out.
But of course, I was referring to the past re loyalty vs fiscal sense equation.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:33   #67
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Well all I can say is that VM are in a complete mess, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, because I was refused help because I am on 100mb.

I expect that will be offshore agents as it is out of hours and expect the support to degrade once our office closes.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:42   #68
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I expect that will be offshore agents as it is out of hours and expect the support to degrade once our office closes.
Do you always go through retentions?

I never called the foreign 'tech' lines as its all scripted answers..
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:56   #69
WaxMan
Inactive

Services: 2 x Tivo 1TB (XL with Sky Movies) 20Mb internet
WaxMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I have to wonder if I will be lucky and have this apply to my current 20Mb connection considering that I am only paying for 10Mb was given the upgrade after having connection issues on and off for couple of weeks quite a while back.
WaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:05   #70
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
More likely 20 60 100
20 (L, non-DOCSIS 3 modems)
30 (L DOCSIS 3, all non-DOCSIS 3 XL)
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:10   #71
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.

Is this for everyone or just people who get an email ?
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:32   #72
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

It's entirely separate from this email.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:35   #73
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.
I hope not, certain folk paying for L getting 30 some paying for xl getting 30, too confusing!

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
you sure? I've seen a few threads now from 10-20Mb customers having the SH sent to them, not sure whether their mistaken or not
Positive, any superhub put in for ten or twenty meg gets investigated, call centers may be able to do what they want
Old 08-12-2011, 16:47   #74
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Do you want mine?
Thanks for the offer Tim but as Digital Fanatic reckons it's Thorntons, which seems plausible, I'd better not get into a habit which is beyond my modest means. Aldi's drinking chocolate is going to taste even weaker from now on though.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:47   #75
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.
Quote:
I hope not, certain folk paying for L getting 30 some paying for xl getting 30, too confusing![COLOR="Silver"]
yeah I didn't understand that, don't really like the look of it. I thought VM would get rid of everything below 30 shifting everyone onto docsis3 - SHs.

Quote:
Positive, any superhub put in for ten or twenty meg gets investigated, call centers may be able to do what they want
call centres this guy got a SH - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...3-upgrade.html

not sure whether they charged him or not. Initially I thought as above, everyone getting shifted onto docsis3 reading posts of heads getting SHs for services lower than 30meg.. ready for the upgrades? Can those standard Hubs and modems handle 30meg?