Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 08-12-2011, 09:45   #46
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Speed doubling?

why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill.

When they one of the biggest isps in the uk with significant capacity issues.

I think they quite possibly the most incompetant at capacity management in the country.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the following.

(a) upgrade loyal customers for free who are already paying you a set amount.
(b) give customers who clearly are willing to pay XX amount for 100mbit a discount (presumably when this free upgrade is done to match 50mbit price)
(c) give out free upgrades when the network in place cannot handle it especially when it generates no revenue.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02   #47
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill.

When they one of the biggest isps in the uk with significant capacity issues.

I think they quite possibly the most incompetant at capacity management in the country.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the following.

(a) upgrade loyal customers for free who are already paying you a set amount.
(b) give customers who clearly are willing to pay XX amount for 100mbit a discount (presumably when this free upgrade is done to match 50mbit price)
(c) give out free upgrades when the network in place cannot handle it especially when it generates no revenue.

Because, frankly, the competition at the moment is dire! Most areas in the UK struggle to get close to the advertised ADSL speeds. Cable on the other hand is far more reliable (or so the stats would show) when it comes to delivering close to the advertised speeds. Sure, there will always be those who have a rough experience BUT percentage wise I think VM provides a better product as a whole compared to the bigger ADSL based companies.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38   #48
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
This is very true, perhaps all subscribers will get a free speed increase in time to come.
I am on 50 meg and have thought seriously of getting 100meg but as the 50meg is more than adequate i see no reason to at the moment.
You also have to consider that with 50mb you get 24 hour technical support. For some reason when you pay more and get 100mb, you only get support 8am until 12 midnight.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
As a businessman, I am sure you didn't move/stay through loyalty, but because it made sense fiscally.....
I'm actually right on the verge of leaving VM completely, if they don't sort my current problems out.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Did it say the drinking chocolate was a tickle? that reminds me of the time my bank (SMILE) sent me some sunflower seeds to sow
Exactly....I think it's a bit of a slap in the face. And it isn't going to do anything to keep me with VM, if they don't sort my current problem.

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Yay it's official.

Yep all 50Mb customers are being upgraded to 100Mb progressively.

Sorry to disappoint but 100Mb customers are not being upgraded to 200Mb, they're having their price dropped to the 50Mb price of £25/month if taken with a phone line.

100Mb will probably be subject to STM with this upgrade / price reduction, details to be confirmed.
Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do??

In the past you have had to contact VM to get any price reductions, They don't just do it automatically.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58   #49
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post

Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do??

In the past you have had to contact VM to get any price reductions, They don't just do it automatically.
All tiers can be supported by any agent as they use the same kit so that should not be an issue unless they are fobbing you off.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00   #50
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do?
Just to point out - ALL broadband customers get 24/7 Technical Support. Has never mattered was speed they are on

It is support for TV and Phone that is currently 8am to midnight 7 days a week
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07   #51
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill [snip]
I think the poster who saw this as a spoiler for Infinity hit the nail on the head.

Check any TBB chart from an ADSL or Infinity customer and you will see a huge difference in jitter even against fairly lightly loaded VM areas. So along comes Infinity and VM must be saying goodbye to loads of gamers. Then take the areas where there is high congestion - given the lack of any credible traffic management or capacity upgrades in a reasonable timescale and Infinity will grab some more VM customers.

VM could sort out their capacity issues but as the company is run by marketing they are instead offering headline speed upgrades which will in all probability make the reasons people leave for Infinity more widespread although it must be said that it isn't the speed itself that causes congestion but the sustained use of that speed.

It will be interesting to see how much of that 30Mbps I'll be able to get in this supposedly upgraded area which is already showing high levels of congestion less than a month down the line. At least it makes my decision on whether to risk an upgrade to 30Mbps a really easy one to make.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32   #52
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yay it's official.

Sorry to disappoint but 100Mb customers are not being upgraded to 200Mb, they're having their price dropped to the 50Mb price of £25/month if taken with a phone line.
So does that mean anyone with 100Mb now are going to get screwed, on the monthly bill payment of a extra £10 per month till they update the 100Mb price?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37   #53
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Gaz View Post
So does that mean anyone with 100Mb now are going to get screwed, on the monthly bill payment of a extra £10 per month till they update the 100Mb price?
Right now 100Mb is £35. It will stay that way until 50Mb is uplifted to 100Mb when it will be reduced to £25.

There is no 'screwing' involved, both will happen at the same time.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
I'd rather pay my current 100mb bill than be subject to STM
Your current bill isn't covering the pain 100Mb customers are causing on the network right now.

Probably won't be downstream management but upstream most definitely.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I would rather pay the extra £10 a month than be stm'd. VM can put all those extra £10s together and use it for upgrades rather than banging everyone up to 100mbit, killing the network and then we only get 50mbit anyway
The extra £10s per month wouldn't pay for much upgrade. Torrent fiends seeding 24x7 are causing a fair amount of issues.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39   #54
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
All tiers can be supported by any agent as they use the same kit so that should not be an issue unless they are fobbing you off.
It seems like you get a different story depending on who you speak to at VM. But I was told that there was no way that technical support from their call centre in India could help me, because I am on 100mb, and the 100mb team finish at midnight.

If they were fobbing me off, then I will have a very serious complaint.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just to point out - ALL broadband customers get 24/7 Technical Support. Has never mattered was speed they are on

It is support for TV and Phone that is currently 8am to midnight 7 days a week
You need to check your companies policies. The 100mb BB team only operates 8am to midnight.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39   #55
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
I just got a email from virgin claiming my speed will be double for free but im on 50mb so im getting 100mb? i suspect this is adoggy email jsut wondered anyone knows if it true
Perfectly true, I wouldn't mind one of those but given I don't have the upload upgrade yet let alone 100Mb available full stop it's not likely
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42   #56
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
It seems like you get a different story depending on who you speak to at VM. But I was told that there was no way that technical support from their call centre in India could help me, because I am on 100mb, and the 100mb team finish at midnight.

If they were fobbing me off, then I will have a very serious complaint.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

You need to check your companies policies. The 100mb BB team only operates 8am to midnight.
The dedicated team may close at Midnight but all agents can support 100Mb due to it using the same kit, I am not a 100Mb agent but support 50Mb and have supported 100Mb calls.

They can help if they want to and this has been mailed out quite recently to all agents so regardless of the actual time help can still be offered.

The 100Mb team are all 2nd line agents who only work to Midnight that why it stipulates the hours.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04   #57
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You will probably get the sachet of drinking chocolate like I did.
I really enjoyed the drinking chocolate, anyone know the make?
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11   #58
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The dedicated team may close at Midnight but all agents can support 100Mb due to it using the same kit, I am not a 100Mb agent but support 50Mb and have supported 100Mb calls.

They can help if they want to and this has been mailed out quite recently to all agents so regardless of the actual time help can still be offered.

The 100Mb team are all 2nd line agents who only work to Midnight that why it stipulates the hours.
Well all I can say is that VM are in a complete mess, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, because I was refused help because I am on 100mb.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Do you want mine?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38   #59
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well all I can say is that VM are in a complete mess, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, because I was refused help because I am on 100mb.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Do you want mine?
Was this just the once, Tim? or are you getting refused help out-of-hours continuously?

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Thorntons, I think
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39   #60
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

And there I was hoping it was an upgrade for everyone hope I get a tickle

Quote:
Yay it's official.

100Mb will probably be subject to STM with this upgrade / price reduction, details to be confirmed.

I'm being upgraded in March 2012 if they ever get around to doing the ****ing upstream upgrades here.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

If you've a Superhub or VMNG 300 you'll be upgraded to 30Mb else if you're a 10Mb customer you'll go to 20Mb, if you're a 20Mb customer you'll go to 30Mb.

For the bored the 30Mb upgrade is to 60Mb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
For this Tickle you will only get the upgrade if you get an e-mail. You'll then get further details when they do the upgrade next year
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote