Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 28-11-2011, 13:05   #151
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
Moderators, please feel free to delete this if conflicts with any rules.

I downloaded the TiVo app from the US iTunes site today and installed it. It won't find the VM TiVo, and says it's an unsupported DVR when you try to connect to it.

After a bit of fiddling, I got it to connect (picture attached). The only big problem is that the pictures never load. I suspect this is because port 80 is blocked - they even fail on the plain HTTPS interface (Now Playing).

Anyway - it was just out of curiosity. Hopefully we'll get the VM version soon!
What a great find! Just like the Android TiVo Commander app, it's just a matter of fiddling about and fooling it into thinking it is connecting to a US TiVo Premiere.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2011, 15:41   #152
peter999
Inactive

peter999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Foddy,

Could you possibly share your instructions of how you got it to work?, either on the thread or via PM. Would like to give it a go.

Many thanks.
peter999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:54   #153
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

My earlier post here explains it in some depth, and here's some more useful information.

Hope that gets it. Remember of course the TiVo has to be plugged into your home network somehow, ideally by ethernet for best speed/stability.
Old 30-11-2011, 17:34   #154
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I'm thinking that this could be a nice little thing to try out as we all await the VM version also. Any links etc would be great Foddy.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Well I've got over the first relatively small hurdle of installing the app on my iPad only to be hit by a brick wall when trying to connect to my TiVo.

My Google skills have lead me to the links below, can anyone with more knowledge than myself make sense of them?

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...Z4u8yDE8&pli=1

https://gist.github.com/1009602#file_remote2.py
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:49   #155
peter999
Inactive

peter999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Doz,

I got about as far as you.

I ran the python script on my ubuntu server, but it fails as it can't find the zeroconf module. I can't seem to find this module anyway, but I'll keep looking.
peter999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:20   #156
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter999 View Post
Hi Doz,

I got about as far as you.

I ran the python script on my ubuntu server, but it fails as it can't find the zeroconf module. I can't seem to find this module anyway, but I'll keep looking.
You can download it from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyzeroconf/

Just unpack the files in the same directory.
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:48   #157
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

One of you might hack it and make a lot of iPad/TiVo owners happy. Keep it up!
Old 30-11-2011, 19:59   #158
idbirch
Inactive

idbirch is an unknown quantity at this point

Got this all running OK and the iPad app now finds 2 devices - my actual TiVo box which is greyed out because its the wrong model and "Proxy" which is obviously the fake one. I select "Proxy" but then get "The TiVo box named Proxy is not configured to accept Network Remote Control Commands".

So close but so far!
idbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:07   #159
Buzzman
Inactive

Services: VIP 50 with TIVO
Buzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch View Post
Got this all running OK and the iPad app now finds 2 devices - my actual TiVo box which is greyed out because its the wrong model and "Proxy" which is obviously the fake one. I select "Proxy" but then get "The TiVo box named Proxy is not configured to accept Network Remote Control Commands".

So close but so far!
Did you go into setting, network remote control and set "allow network based remote controls"?
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:08   #160
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Probably a silly question considering your technical knowhow, but have you gone to Home -> Help & Settings -> Settings -> Network -> Network Remote Control and enabled it?
Old 30-11-2011, 20:19   #161
idbirch
Inactive

idbirch is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this was already enabled but for good measure, I've tried disabling and re-enabling. No dice!

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

OK got it! I had missed one of foddy;s instructions about registering an additional service - I added remote1.py (edited to add the IP and MAK for the TiVo) and now I can connect - off to play!

Wow, just wow, this is awesome. Can browse guide, change channels, and view series links. The high speed seeking using the slider on a recorded show is so cool. Thanks for the pointers foddy, you're a legend!!
idbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 22:10   #162
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

You should make that modified version available for all iPod users, maybe?
Old 30-11-2011, 23:11   #163
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

So I have been bashing my head against a brick wall for the last few night trying to do this, does need to be done on a wireless connection or can the PC that you are binding with be wired?

What is supposed to happen when you run the file I double click it and just get a command window pop up for a second and then disappears.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 23:31   #164
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch View Post
Wow, just wow, this is awesome. Can browse guide, change channels, and view series links. The high speed seeking using the slider on a recorded show is so cool. Thanks for the pointers foddy, you're a legend!!
No problem, but anything you do is at your own risk. I doubt it'll break your TiVo, but that's one reason I didn't post all the gory details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
So I have been bashing my head against a brick wall for the last few night trying to do this, does need to be done on a wireless connection or can the PC that you are binding with be wired?

What is supposed to happen when you run the file I double click it and just get a command window pop up for a second and then disappears.
You are probably missing the Zeroconf package. You'll need to run it at a command prompt to see if there's an error. I've not tried it on Windows at all, though. Also, there's a chance that your wireless blocks multicast (which this uses) but that's less likely.
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 23:48   #165
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I have the zeroconf package package so my directory looks like this:

Browser.py
mdns-tivo-forgery.py
remote1.py
remote.2py
zeroconf.py
zeroconftest.py
zeroconftest2

I have copied the file you gave me and replaces the TSN with mine and the IP address of my tivo and the IP of my machine for the binding.

Will have a look in my router.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

There is something call Multicast streaming in the router which was not enabled but something tells me that is something else entirely.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote