Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2017, 23:54   #571
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Here in West Herts we had the first local cable channel to be launched in the UK (West Herts TV). They occupied two rooms at Telecential's Hemel base & put out 3 to 4 programmes a month on channel 6 of our old analogue system. The rest of the time was just a rolling text service of local events to the accompaniment of Sky Radio, (the Dutch music channel, nothing to do with UK Sky). Comtel scrapped the service a couple of years before digital was introduced.
Speaking of cable based local tv, Sheffield Cablevision was around in the 70s and ultimately closed when it ran out of cash. I wonder if the schedule was more appealing than the current one on Sheffield Live TV. Perhaps Sheffield Live will eventually have a similar demise...

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
Why do the Scottish get their own channel anyway? What about a service for the Welsh, English or Northern Irish? We all contribute to the license fee and do not have dedicated services.
Wales gets its own iplayer only channel, plans for NI are still to be announced. Nothing has been mentioned so far for England, so that's probably what we'll get... nothing.

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Made In Leeds is my local channel. I never watch it, but have just taken a look and they seem to have an old black & white film every afternoon.

I'm not sure if this is a Talking Pictures tie up or not.
Technically, I'm not in the catchment area of Made In Leeds, but can receive it about 95% of the time from Emley Moor, although not on VM. It has been showing old monochrome films for quite some time, as far as I know, not tied in with Talking Pictures.

Advertisement
Old 28-02-2017, 08:03   #572
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
stupid question: is there a way to get things like all 4 on the tivo? the whole "box sets" thing and "catch up on demand" menu options miss most things i find.
This is a glaring omission from TiVo. I wish there was an app to watch it - especially as Channel 4 and all its siblings are taxpayer funded. There are lots of good box sets on All 4 denied to TiVo customers without one of the newer smart TVs which often have a dedicated app.
Old 28-02-2017, 11:03   #573
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
This is a glaring omission from TiVo. I wish there was an app to watch it - especially as Channel 4 and all its siblings are taxpayer funded. There are lots of good box sets on All 4 denied to TiVo customers without one of the newer smart TVs which often have a dedicated app.
I've got a 2016 4K Samsung TV and it hasn't got All 4. (It has got Now TV, Amazon, Netflix, iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5, Curzon and Wuaki!)
A cheap Now TV, Roku or Amazon box, YouView or Freeview Play TV/PVR seem to be the best bets of getting All 4.

Strictly speaking, Channel 4 is not taxpayer-funded, it's advertising-funded. But its statutorily high EPG rankings give it a leg-up compared to other advertising-funded channels.
Old 28-02-2017, 12:14   #574
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Strictly speaking, Channel 4 is not taxpayer-funded, it's advertising-funded. But its statutorily high EPG rankings give it a leg-up compared to other advertising-funded channels.
I stand corrected. Channel 4 - including All 4 - is certainly a public service broadcaster and AFAIK falls under the remit of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Whatever the ins and outs of the service I do think that All 4, as an integral part of a public service provider, should be available via our TiVos.
Old 28-02-2017, 13:48   #575
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I stand corrected. Channel 4 - including All 4 - is certainly a public service broadcaster and AFAIK falls under the remit of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Whatever the ins and outs of the service I do think that All 4, as an integral part of a public service provider, should be available via our TiVos.
I think All 4 seems to be the tricky one out of the four PSBs for getting its app onto the widest range of devices.
Old 28-02-2017, 14:21   #576
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
stupid question: is there a way to get things like all 4 on the tivo? the whole "box sets" thing and "catch up on demand" menu options miss most things i find.
From the menu: On Demand - Box Sets - Channels - All 4

That's about as good as it gets.

Old 28-02-2017, 14:24   #577
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

We was told we would before end of February have the relaunched TV anywhere app with 3G and 4g and virgin store end of February not a whisper
Old 28-02-2017, 14:29   #578
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've got a 2016 4K Samsung TV and it hasn't got All 4. (It has got Now TV, Amazon, Netflix, iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5, Curzon and Wuaki!)
A cheap Now TV, Roku or Amazon box, YouView or Freeview Play TV/PVR seem to be the best bets of getting All 4.

I have SAMSUNG UE49KU6670 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49" Curved TV,it is only after reading your comment that I realised All 4 was missing. I have it on my Samsung BD-H6500 Smart 3D Blu-ray Player how odd.
Old 28-02-2017, 15:39   #579
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
We was told we would before end of February have the relaunched TV anywhere app with 3G and 4g and virgin store end of February not a whisper
Yeah I thought they were re-launching the Virgin Store with a buy and keep element with it. Wonder if any 4k UHD movies will be available?
Old 28-02-2017, 15:40   #580
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Yeah I thought they were re-launching the Virgin Store with a buy and keep element with it. Wonder if any 4k UHD movies will be available?
Maybe its been delayed till next year.
Old 28-02-2017, 15:50   #581
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Haha probably! Some V6 boxes have been prone to a black screen bug, so maybe they sorting that out first, who knows lol
Old 28-02-2017, 16:49   #582
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have SAMSUNG UE49KU6670 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49" Curved TV,it is only after reading your comment that I realised All 4 was missing. I have it on my Samsung BD-H6500 Smart 3D Blu-ray Player how odd.
I have all 4 on a 2015 Samsung TV

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So without even that the only UHD we pay for and also the revamped TV anywhere that works with the virgin store had been delayed
Old 28-02-2017, 17:09   #583
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post

Does this give the same content as All 4?
Old 28-02-2017, 17:18   #584
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post

That's a kind of cut-down version of All 4. The full-fat version has more programmes including 'Walter Presents' (I think it's called) which has some interesting foreign series.
Old 28-02-2017, 18:36   #585
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Does this give the same content as All 4?
No but that's probably due to the content being held on VM's servers for delivery by nVOD rather than IP delivery from Channel 4's servers.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
That's a kind of cut-down version of All 4. The full-fat version has more programmes including 'Walter Presents' (I think it's called) which has some interesting foreign series.
That's what I meant by "that's about as good as it gets".

Closed Thread