Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Whats is this Virgin Media Building For? - Papworth, Cambridgeshire

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Whats is this Virgin Media Building For? - Papworth, Cambridgeshire

Old 19-02-2012, 21:32   #16
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Whats is this Virgin Media Building For? - Papworth, Cambridgeshire

might eba headend but cant be sure cant see it closely nor am i aware of a headend in that area
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2012, 00:46   #17
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Its listed as NTL at the entrance to the industrial estate.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bromb...6,,2,9.22&z=19
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 07:39   #18
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Yeah used to have NTL on it. There are some vans parked outside it actually if you look on Street View.

I was told in another thread there isn't a headend there and the headend for most of the north west is Baguley in Manchester. Could this building be a hubsite instead and if so, what's the difference?
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 07:47   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Its the switch site for the wirral. I go there every other week to do various surveys.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:34   #20
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, we lived in Wythenshawe. I went to Wythenshaw college. At the end of the road where the college was (its now been demolished), was a Tesco's store, "Tescos Baguely". Right behind that, was a big building, that had more satellite dishes than I had acne, with NTL signs everywhere.

Would I be right in assuming that was the NTL (now virgin) headend?
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:54   #21
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, we lived in Wythenshawe. I went to Wythenshaw college. At the end of the road where the college was (its now been demolished), was a Tesco's store, "Tescos Baguely". Right behind that, was a big building, that had more satellite dishes than I had acne, with NTL signs everywhere.

Would I be right in assuming that was the NTL (now virgin) headend?
That building on Southmoor Rd is still bristling with dishes and is the Baguley Headend.
Old 20-02-2012, 19:49   #22
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Its the switch site for the wirral. I go there every other week to do various surveys.
Am I right in thinking there's one in Birkenhead too?
Old 20-02-2012, 19:51   #23
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Am I right in thinking there's one in Birkenhead too?
Yes but its a hub site not a switch, Bromborough has the exchange in it, Birkenhead is just a hub site that feeds it.

Old 20-02-2012, 21:01   #24
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Yes but its a hub site not a switch, Bromborough has the exchange in it, Birkenhead is just a hub site that feeds it.
I'm familiar with BT exchanges due to my work. What's the difference between these and Virgin's? I'm assuming the VM copper telephone lines get converted to fibre in a street cabinet prior to reaching somewhere like Bromborough? Whereas with BT, it is in the exchange itself where it switches to fibre.
Old 20-02-2012, 21:20   #25
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I'm familiar with BT exchanges due to my work. What's the difference between these and Virgin's? I'm assuming the VM copper telephone lines get converted to fibre in a street cabinet prior to reaching somewhere like Bromborough? Whereas with BT, it is in the exchange itself where it switches to fibre.
You have hit the nail on the head and its the same with the broadband.

Old 20-02-2012, 22:50   #26
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What is this VM building in Bromborough, Wirral? I never see any Virgin Media vans there.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bromb...251.54,,0,4.25
I might be wrong, but if you follow your link you can see one in the car park!!

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 22:59   #27
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post

Cheers

Grim

Old 21-02-2012, 08:50   #28
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post

Cheers

Grim
Yeah, I realised that and did say it in a later post