Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Google Android

Old 11-05-2010, 13:35   #31
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Google Android

Also not a surprise considering the slew of excellent Android phones, such as the Desire, coming around about the same time (Droid as well).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2010, 14:22   #32
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Also not a surprise considering the slew of excellent Android phones, such as the Desire, coming around about the same time (Droid as well).
Not denying that. If I wasn't so happy with my iPhone, I'd definitely be looking at one of the Android phones in preference to anything else. I say that as a long-term Symbian fan.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 19:13   #33
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Hardly a surprise. The iPhone OS is only currently available on two handsets (not counting the iPad). Android is available for many more than that. That's like saying Symbian outsold the iPhone.

The real surprise is that one handset manufacturer (Apple) is outselling many (if not all) of the Android manufacturers..
Isn't that the point though? While Google Android is open to manufacturers to utilise with their hardware, Apple has decided the iPhone OS shall be a strict Apple hardware only product.

Much like the Windows vs Mac situation. Which is why Android may end up dominating with the becoming iPhone a niche product.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:28   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I was just making the point it was always going to happen..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 20:00   #35
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Lots of Android news today!

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/froyo-android/

• Much Faster
  • New API's send stuff to the device, webpages can be sent from chrome, you can buy applications online and they are sent right to device
  • Music store it seems
  • Other cool stuff.
Old 20-05-2010, 21:22   #36
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

No news on a release date though.

Saying that I had an OTE update this evening, something to do with improving the camera but I can't see any difference as yet.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 21:27   #37
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Makes me keener to get the HTC Desire, see what Apple come up with. I would really miss the iTunes management though.
Old 20-05-2010, 21:33   #38
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Makes me keener to get the HTC Desire, see what Apple come up with. I would really miss the iTunes management though.
I went for the Legend, couldn't see enough difference between them to justify the extra £15 per month.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 09:57   #39
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I went for the Legend, couldn't see enough difference between them to justify the extra £15 per month.
Desire has a much faster processor and am sure there are a few other differences. Legend is still a top classs phone though
Old 21-05-2010, 10:01   #40
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Not quite as good as iTunes, but it's getting there - you should have a look at this (Which I use with my Desire)

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 10:29   #41
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Desire has a much faster processor and am sure there are a few other differences. Legend is still a top classs phone though
Screen is bigger and higher def on the Desire as well. Russ is probably right though that your effectively paying twice as much so a phone that isn't twice as good. However I love the look of that screen.

As well as iTunes this is quite annoying:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3323...oid-os-updates

When Apple release an OS, because there is only one device, you get it instantly. Having all these providers implementing their own interfaces remains a bad idea, first of all not all phones will get this update, Apple is the same but your phone will tend to be good for a while. Only the very first iPhone is excluded from the next update. Here though phones pre-2010 may not get 2.2 at all. Some people will only be a few months into a 2 year contract with these phones.

They boast about developer tools but anyone developing for Android will now need to consider the wide fragmentation of their user base. A lot of phones will not support 2.2, some are still waiting for the 2.1 update, and round 4 - 6 months wait as all the existing phones that will support 2.2 get slowly updated. The HTC Hero is still on 1.6, that phone came out after the iPhone 3GS, yet it's already way behind the latest OS.

Nexus One might make sense considering this, UI isn't as nice but OS updates are near instant as a result.
Old 21-05-2010, 10:53   #42
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Screen is bigger and higher def on the Desire as well. Russ is probably right though that your effectively paying twice as much so a phone that isn't twice as good. However I love the look of that screen.
Don't forget the CPU is almost twice as fast and almost double the RAM too.

Quote:
As well as iTunes this is quite annoying:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3323...oid-os-updates
Its annoying but the HTC phones run a customised version of the OS. When the update is released they need to port their customised UI over to the new OS and do QA testing etc. It takes time. If you want though as soon as the update is released you can install the Google flavoured one and lose the UI.

Quote:
When Apple release an OS, because there is only one device, you get it instantly. Having all these providers implementing their own interfaces remains a bad idea, first of all not all phones will get this update, Apple is the same but your phone will tend to be good for a while. Only the very first iPhone is excluded from the next update. Here though phones pre-2010 may not get 2.2 at all. Some people will only be a few months into a 2 year contract with these phones.
It is just like Apple. The 3G doesn't have video recording or voice control even though the hardware is capable of it. I had excellent video recording on my 2G. With Apple there is no way around it. At least with Android there is and the phones will be brought up to spec eventually.

Quote:
They boast about developer tools but anyone developing for Android will now need to consider the wide fragmentation of their user base. A lot of phones will not support 2.2, some are still waiting for the 2.1 update, and round 4 - 6 months wait as all the existing phones that will support 2.2 get slowly updated. The HTC Hero is still on 1.6, that phone came out after the iPhone 3GS, yet it's already way behind the latest OS.
There isn't that much difference developer wise between 1.6 and 2.1 The vast majority. The vast majority of methods belong to the lowest API releases.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 05:22   #43
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

In case anyone missed it: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...0.html#android

Very rough Ports of 2.2 (Froyo) are already ported to older HTC devices such as the G1 although without Flash at the moment.

More confirmation of resuscitation : http://bit.ly/chk0zL
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 22:07   #44
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Nexus S with Android 2.3 to be available from Carphone Warehouse in December:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/dm/nexus-s
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 22:25   #45
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Havent even seen the promised upgrade to 2.2 for my Wildfire yet
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote