Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

Old 14-03-2012, 03:35   #1
geminian68
Inactive

Services: VM: V.I.P, 50mb.
geminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of light
BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

What's fairer than 'pay as you go'?

Quote:
Analysis Is it fair to ask people to pay a second time for media they've already paid for? Or is it fair to charge people for media they never use - and send them to prison if they decline to pay? Of these two injustices, which is the greater?
Quote:
Last week, PaidContent UK revealed a few details on plans by the BBC to charge for repeats through iPlayer. The plans, codenamed "Project Barcelona", envisage previously broadcast shows being made available on-demand for £1.89 a time.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...fees_analysis/
geminian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2012, 01:48   #2
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

Why don't we the public start charging companies for our custom?

we're all in this together. and we all need to make money in these hard times.
everybody is doing it. except for us.

think about it.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 02:02   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Why don't we the public start charging companies for our custom?

we're all in this together. and we all need to make money in these hard times.
everybody is doing it. except for us.

think about it.
I think you'll find that's called discounting.

We don't pay the 'full' price, therefore they are giving us money...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 02:25   #4
NO ONE
Inactive

Services: SKY DIG Sky+hd Mullity room(SKY WORLD) SKY BB MAX Sky talk L/r /Takl mobil PAY MO Freevew hd
NO ONE is on a distinguished roadNO ONE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NO ONE

time For A Sky T1 hd Box for the Mine tv and Freevew + for the 2tv me thinks
NO ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 08:47   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO ONE View Post
time For A Sky T1 hd Box for the Mine tv and Freevew + for the 2tv me thinks
It will just send me back to those sites where i can get the shows i have already paid for with my tv tax

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:29   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

To be fair other channels also limit the time you can view their programmes after it has been aired.Chanel4 and 5 certainly do and they also do so online..

What I'm wondering is where this would leave VM's content on demand with iPlayer.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:48   #7
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
It will just send me back to those sites where i can get the shows i have already paid for with my tv tax
Did you not actually read the article then? The "TV Tax" (sic) only pays for the programme to be shown on the BBC a set number of times. (This is sometimes a lot but mostly just the once or twice.)

After that, the rights revert back to the indy company that made it for them to sell on to either another channel (ie Sky, UKTV, Paramount, etc.) or sell on DVD, etc.

So your reasoning is completely and utterly incorrect. It was also described (and right derided!) in the article.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:22   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

On demand players do offer us the viewer increased choice, but when the success of a programme is judged by audience size, do the iplayer things count towards this? For the commercial channels although I see they are starting to slip in some adverts, that amount is less than they get on the main TV programming, so are they loosing revenue? iplayer type catch up broadcasting has been the big revolution in TV in the last couple of years, and in many respects is no worse than us recording stuff on our V+ or whatever to view later. But perhaps the TV companies shot themselves in the foot by not wanting a small charge at the outset. To introduce it now, will just attract a backlash.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:28   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Iplayer views do not count as part of official BARB figures but the BBC monitors the stats internally and has a pretty good idea of how valuable the iplayer is for extending the reach of its programmes.

I suspect what they are talking about here is putting up their entire back-catalogue and charging for access to it, rather than charging people for the 7-day catch-up. In which case, I don't see the difference between buying acces to content on the iplayer and buying access via a DVD. We have a modest DVD collection but with the exception of the kids' stuff the discs rarely get played more than once. I think I would prefer to pay one lower price to watch something once and not bother having to keep a copy of it on the shelf.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:16   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I suspect what they are talking about here is putting up their entire back-catalogue and charging for access to it, rather than charging people for the 7-day catch-up.
Indeed, as the BBC say themselves
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17368514

Quote:
Project Barcelona to see BBC open archive for downloads
Personally I think that Register article completely misunderstands what it is