Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WAN led flashing constantly on Belkin router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Wireless Router - STB

Old 16-01-2005, 23:16   #1
dwe01
Inactive

dwe01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Router - STB

First posting from me.

I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David
dwe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2005, 23:18   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless Router - STB

Belkin, Linksys, Netgear- take your pick, they're all good.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 23:26   #3
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Wireless Router - STB

i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .
daz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 23:32   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz300
i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .
As did mine but it took an age to get it secure.

Old 16-01-2005, 23:34   #5
daz300
Inactive

daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!
Old 16-01-2005, 23:40   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I use a Linksys one (as per my signature).

Very reliable, nice and easy to set up, and the security configuration is a breeze.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 23:47   #7
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz300
i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!
Oops, I just have... :P

Old 16-01-2005, 23:47   #8
daz300
Inactive

Old 17-01-2005, 17:12   #9
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwe01
First posting from me.

Quote:
I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David

As stated, any of the above manufacturers will be fine.(I use the WRTG54 as well)

I would suggest that you clone the MAC address from the existing PC, as the STB requires that you register each MAC address individualy.
This is normally pretty simple (note that this will be the MAC of the ethernet port, not the wireless). and involves connecting to the router through a normal ethernet cable, and then clone the MAC onto the router.

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 05:00   #10
dwe01
Inactive

dwe01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?

dwe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 07:27   #11
Chris1973
Inactive

Chris1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David,

Might be worth giving actiontec a look, I use one of their wireless routers and they seem to be reliable. Good luck!

Cheers, Chris.
Chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 07:49   #12
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?
Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.
Old 18-01-2005, 09:48   #13
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.
That is correct - I was merely looking to exclude the MAC address as an issue here (and have seen far too many cases where the reg server is down )
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 09:50   #14
gary_580

I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.
Old 18-01-2005, 09:53   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.
Had exactly the same problem with this router.

Phoned Linksys Support, moved the frequency to the one which was furthest from default, problem solved.
Wireless devices will (and have to) accept interference from other wireless devices. Sometime a bit of fiddling is necessary.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote