Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GETTING FOBBED OFF BY SKY re Sky+

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

GETTING FOBBED OFF BY SKY re Sky+

Old 08-12-2005, 01:21   #1
paulr
Inactive

paulr is an unknown quantity at this point
GETTING FOBBED OFF BY SKY re Sky+

Hi,
My Sky+ does not work, it does not pause, rewind, fastword etc live TV

According to SKY it is a firmware problem with some sort of software that is automatically installed.

I think this is true as I have also seen the same problem in a friends house.

However this has now been going on for about 6 months and despite numerous phone calls Sky refuse to give me any time when they think they might be able to sort this problem or offer me any sort of compensation.
They basically dont give a s..

Dont know what to do now as I went from a hard disk recorder from thomson that performed this function very well and now I am stuck with a sky + box that doesn't.

I am thinking this must be in breach of contract or something as the unit doesn't do what they sold it to do, although they say nothing is wrong with it and its a software problem that they cant fix????????

Absolutely typical of a company that has a complete monopoly and disgraceful customer service.

I am wondering how many others have the same problem and how this can be resolved.
I am off now to send an email + letter to sky that will probably get ingored by their "really...WE DONT CARE" customer service team.

thats the end of my rant thanks for listening
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2005, 01:24   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: GETTING FOBBED OFF BY SKY re Sky+

1) to the site.

2) James Murdoch, Chief Executive james.murdoch@bskyb.com
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:42   #3
paulr
Inactive

chances of sky getting back to me......
ZERO
Old 08-12-2005, 01:47   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Interesting post for those who think sky is the answer to all their woes .......

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:54   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr
ZERO
If you email Mr Murdoch direct things tend to get done.
According to Private Eye, Sky won't say how many calls they have recieved about this, but they estimate it to be in the order of hundreds or possibly thousands of calls

James Murdoch has stated that Sky are confident it will be fixed shortly.

Sadly, I can't provide a link, as the article is in the print edition of Private Eye. It is on page 13 of issue 1147 (9-22 dec 2005)
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:58   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Reset the box - disconnect all from the back then hold in power button for 20 seconds, then reconnect... may be it's juat got confused.

Or probably not but there you go.

If it's THEIR carp firmware they should fix it.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04   #7
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
ZERO
That's the guy at the top of the chain.....
Old 08-12-2005, 02:16   #8
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hi,
My Sky+ does not work, it does not pause, rewind, fastword etc live TV

According to SKY it is a firmware problem with some sort of software that is automatically installed.
I've had this happen a couple of times on my Sky+ box, most recently about last week when I believe they did another upgrade, but it generally sorts itself out after a few days.

Have you tried doing a full system reset?

Press Services/ System Setup/ then 0 then 1 then Select (nothing will happen until you press Select)

This gets you into the Engineer's menu.

Firstly try doing Sky+ Planner Rebuild first, this shouldn't (hopefully!) cause you to lose any recorded stuff or entries on the Sky+ Planner.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to try "Full System Reset" which will format the hard drive and wipe all the entries on the Sky+ Planner.

This can take a few minutes, so just leave it for a while and then come back.

You can also try unplugging the box and leaving it for a while before switching back on again.

If none of this works, you can try complaining that the box is "Not fit for purpose" as per your rights under the Sale of Goods Act and demand that they replace it.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:48   #9
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
If none of this works, you can try complaining that the box is "Not fit for purpose" as per your rights under the Sale of Goods Act and demand that they replace it.
You can? The OP says the fault's been ongoing for 6 months. Under SSoGA the onus in the first six months is on the retailer to prove the fault wasn't there at purchase, afterwards the customer has to prove it was - only then can it be deemed "not fit for purpose". The box is older than that so the OP has to prove it was there when he got it, which it most likely wasn't.

If it is a dodgy firmware then sky should fix it, it sounds like the box just needs kicking to reboot it though.

Notwithstanding, it's sky's problem so he should demand Sky send an engineer out to look at it and update/fix the firmware.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:57   #10
paulr
Inactive

Hi Guys, thanks for your responses.

I forget now how many times I've had to bend over backwards behind the TV to turn it off at the mains, I've done it so many times. It does sort the problem but it retruns within a day or so. This is what they say do when I call them. The last time I called them i explained that I had enough of resetting the frigging thing every time I wanted it work properly, and hence I just leave it now. They offered nothing and when I said I wanted to complain they just gave me their postal address.(like I'd get a response to a letter)

Interestingly it did fix itself a couple of weeks ago for a day or so but then went back.

I said 6 months but maybe its 4 or 5 I dont know. I know it is coming to the end of it's warranty period of 12 months though. The annoying thing is
apart from this I've had no problems and it is a great system that worked perfectly for 6 months odd.
When they said it was a firmware problem I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and was glad the box wasn't faulty, but now they are really taking the pee.

I'll have a look at that article, I found another from 2002 when they first released the system they had so many problems that they gave some customers some money back. I think they should at least give a refund of some subs. To be honest thats what reallt got me, if I phone the bank and complain about their charges for long enough they are likely to give you some of it back, but these wan*ers, they don't offer you penny, just keep charging £45 quid odd and don't care.. .scandalous
Old 08-12-2005, 10:43   #11
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Interesting post for those who think sky is the answer to all their woes .......
Yeah it is, my dad's sky has been in 18 months and started loosing channels on a saturdayu night. we rebooted it and all the channels went off saying no signal. Called sky and they got me to check the scart cable (noobs ) and reboot again. Nothing happend they said it would be £70+ to get a tech out.

Had that been ntl it would have been a tech on monday morning g'teed and FOC.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:09   #12
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
Yeah it is, my dad's sky has been in 18 months and started loosing channels on a saturdayu night. we rebooted it and all the channels went off saying no signal. Called sky and they got me to check the scart cable (noobs ) and reboot again. Nothing happend they said it would be £70+ to get a tech out.

Fault reported on a Sat night, & then engineer fixing it on Monday morning?

I don't think so Mark.
Old 08-12-2005, 14:25   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:

Sky only charge £65 for a call out which includes the provision of a refurbished box, cabling, dish and LNB if required. Some of the 3rd party warranty companies suggest that Sky charge far more than this for a call out and parts are extra, lies to tempt you to sign up with them.

After the 12 month initial warranty you have rights under the SOG act and reminding Sky of them can result in a free service visit with replacement parts FOC. If Sky are adamant that they will not waive the £65 charge ask to be transferred to their cancellation department. This will often result in a free callout being offered. The longer you have been a customer and the more you pay each month the better your chance of a free call out. Your dad's problem could be caused by a Sky software fault which Sky should sort out FOC or a component failure which again they should sort out FOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
You can? The OP says the fault's been ongoing for 6 months. Under SSoGA the onus in the first six months is on the retailer to prove the fault wasn't there at purchase, afterwards the customer has to prove it was - only then can it be deemed "not fit for purpose". The box is older than that so the OP has to prove it was there when he got it, which it most likely wasn't.

If it is a dodgy firmware then sky should fix it, it sounds like the box just needs kicking to reboot it though.

Notwithstanding, it's sky's problem so he should demand Sky send an engineer out to look at it and update/fix the firmware.
The SOG act considers durability as a factor in whether goods are faulty or not. Goods such as a Sky digibox are expected to last far longer than 12 months and perform to the advertised standard for at least that time. If the digibox doesn't do what it was advertised to do then a claim under the SOG act is warranted and that applies even after the 12 month warranty has expired (up to six years in England and Wales and 5 years in Scotland).
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 14:51   #14
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Fault reported on a Sat night, & then engineer fixing it on Monday morning?

I don't think so Mark.
Most of the time in Teesside that was the case, the only slot we had issues with was saturdays
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 17:54   #15
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Most of the time in Teesside that was the case, the only slot we had issues with was saturdays
What about the rest of the country?