Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 25-01-2017, 17:21   #106
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So what happens when the internet goes down, does that mean that you have no TV service?
Yes, just as if you had a power cut, you would lose TV, lights, heating and all other electrical appliances.

It's not often you lose your broadband, though. If it happened to me, I would still have services from my arial, together with my DVD recorder recordings, so it wouldn't inconvenience me too much.

Power cuts are far more disruptive.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2017, 17:29   #107
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So what happens when the internet goes down, does that mean that you have no TV service?
TV comes via coaxial so as far as I'm aware if the Internet goes down, TV will be fine.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 19:52   #108
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Hmm, differing views here!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:00   #109
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Hmm, differing views here!
I'm 99% sure if the Internet went down the TV service would be fine. Even the Virgin engineer told me the only bad side of the V6 is it connects to your broadband connection so if that goes down so does the TV but I didn't believe him as it makes no sense for that to happen.
Old 25-01-2017, 20:20   #110
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I'm 99% sure if the Internet went down the TV service would be fine.
It would, for a few days at least.

I wouldn't recommend rebooting a V6 while it's got no network connection though.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:45   #111
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

I wouldn't recommend rebooting a V6 while it's got no network connection though.

This has caught my interest, so how does that work then SP? I mean if the V6 is connected by WiFi, and the internet goes down, how can the TV service possibly continue if it has no connection to the internet?
Old 25-01-2017, 20:48   #112
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
This has caught my interest, so how does that work then SP? I mean if the V6 is connected by WiFi, and the internet goes down, how can the TV service possibly continue if it has no connection to the internet?
The TV comes through coaxial. The internet is used for apps like Netflix and EPG updates.
Old 25-01-2017, 22:58   #113
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The TV comes through coaxial. The internet is used for apps like Netflix and EPG updates.
I must have missed something here then, as far as I can see from posts on here, the V6 can be connected wirelessly, by WiFi from the shub, that right? If so then the V6 is not connected via a coaxial cable, correct? So if its not connected directly by coaxial from shub and the web goes down, then surely the TV goes down also, if i'm wrong here then can someone please explain to me how it works if there is no internet connection, thx
Old 25-01-2017, 23:01   #114
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I must have missed something here then, as far as I can see from posts on here, the V6 can be connected wirelessly, by WiFi from the shub, that right? If so then the V6 is not connected via a coaxial cable, correct? So if its not connected directly by coaxial from shub and the web goes down, then surely the TV goes down also, if i'm wrong here then can someone please explain to me how it works if there is no internet connection, thx
Wrong. V6 requires both a co-ax and a home network connection. Normal TV channels continue to be supplied by co-ax.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 23:22   #115
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Wrong. V6 requires both a co-ax and a home network connection. Normal TV channels continue to be supplied by co-ax.
Thank you.
Old 26-01-2017, 00:21   #116
OhReally

Quote:

No response to my post quoting YOU as stating that VM MANDATE you can't connect 2 V6's via wi-fi?

Starting to feel a bit ridiculous yet
Old 26-01-2017, 07:05   #117
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
No response to my post quoting YOU as stating that VM MANDATE you can't connect 2 V6's via wi-fi?

Starting to feel a bit ridiculous yet
What kind of response are you looking for?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:26   #118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

That's reassuring. I thought you'd lose it all.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:36   #119
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a network switch (which fed the V6 box) fail, but the V6 box carried on working fine until turned it off to do something and then I could not get the V6 box to boot up.

I bypassed the network switch and tried again and the V6 booted up and worked ok.

Just to test I disconnected the network cable and the V6 just carried on working. Not sure how long it would work like this so I enabled the WiFi then plugged the network cable back in.
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:46   #120
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I would imagine it would be like it was with the original VM TiVo: you'll lose On Demand and EPG updates for the duration of the outage but live TV services are fine. The boxes may not have a built-in modem anymore but presumably the V6 uses the Internet in pretty the same way except EPG updates are delivered through your web connection rather than through the coax.
We were without VM broadband for a few days last winter and TV on our TiVo's worked fine during that period. With the V6s I was playing around with my router settings when I first got them and frequently took the Internet down. TV continues until I started rebooting the V6s to pick up new DNS settings.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote