Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2016, 14:44   #2491
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Well that's not saying much is it Mark......
Old 24-01-2016, 15:09   #2492
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well done to them for making a fortune but l still stick to my opinion that they are short on talent whether its on TV or by singing in front of a mike but each to their own opinion l say as there are many who seem to like them sadly.
Well they started their careers by acting for years in a great kids drama and then branched in to singing. I actually still have their album

Where as their presenting skills are fantastic and make most of the shows they front a lot more interesting. Even their show about The Princes Trust was highly entertaining and amusing.

Personally they are very talented and it shows. Winning awards every year.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:42   #2493
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Amazon Prime introduces Prime music stations

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=dmm_gw...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 27-01-2016, 10:56   #2494
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Amazon Prime introduces Prime music stations

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=dmm_gw...f_rd_i=desktop
Nice addition , I noticed it this morning on my phone.
Old 27-01-2016, 12:47   #2495
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

A couple of things, I've noticed Amazon has had a Netflix-type makeover. And secondly, I get a newsletter called "Risk & Reward" and this one was about Netflix, so I've copied it here in full. I don't necessarily agree with what they say, but I thought some here might be interested:

Last week I wrote about an obscure law of business strategy: This "law" predicts which businesses will make it.

Wednesday, 27 January 2016

How Netflix smashed TV's business model to bits

Dear Reader,

Last week I wrote about an obscure law of business strategy: This "law" predicts which businesses will make it.

It's about "the law of conservation of modality". (Horrible name, I know - henceforth I'm calling it LOCOM). I said it was "an incredibly useful and powerful way to think about business strategy", and that it could be applied to any type of business.

Today I want to use LOCOM to explain how Netflix has grown into a $50bn market cap stock market giant (at the expense of the existing TV companies).

How companies prioritise

Here's how I described LOCOM last week.

"The theory starts with a product.

Think of a product as a company's solution to a problem. For example: "people need a device to help them work while they're at the office."

In order to solve this problem, the company builds a desktop computer.

But the computer is really a number of different solutions in one. It has a screen to solve one problem, a hard disk to solve another problem, and so on.

Now, for any product, there's always going to be one part of the problem that's harder to solve than the others. In the example of the desktop computer, the hardest single problem to solve is making a processor that's fast enough.

Making a fast processor is the single biggest challenge. So the computer engineers optimise the entire computer around the processor. Optimising around the processor means making all the other components – the mouse, screen, motherboard, RAM and the like – interchangeable.

In a nutshell, that's Christensen's Law. He says that for any given product, a company optimises around the single hardest problem to solve, and the remaining parts of the problem become interchangeable...

… The business implication of all this is that there's no money to be made from solving the less difficult parts of the problem. All of the value, and all the profits, are made from solving the hardest part of the problem. "

The TV business model is getting smashed to bits

So how does it fit the TV business? What are the different parts of the problem?

- The first part is creating entertaining TV shows – "content".
- The second part is choosing which shows to make and promote – "production".
- The third part is reaching customers – "distribution".

In the traditional TV business model, the TV networks integrate the hardest parts of the problem: content and production. They make TV shows in-house. They decide which shows to make, and which to promote, in-house.

The networks don't handle everything themselves though. Just like LOCOM says, they modularise the least important part of the problem, which is distribution. Most TV networks rely on local affiliates (in the states) or cable companies (like Sky or Verizon) to get their product into people's homes.

In other words, the networks focus their energies on the most important part of the problem (integrating it). And they leave "the small stuff" for other people to figure out (modularising it).

Enter Netflix.

Netflix uses new technology to reach subscribers directly. Anyone with a computer, a phone or a modern TV can access it. And people find Netflix fun to use. It's more convenient than old fashioned broadcast TV.

It's able to offer a wider range of shows, whenever wherever the viewer wants them. And it doesn't rely on Sky or Virgin media or Verizon to reach its customers.

All of which is to say that Netflix has integrated distribution, the third part of the problem I described earlier.

The new streaming technology has changed the game. Because of changes in technology, distribution has gone from being a secondary problem for TV companies to being the most important problem, the one you optimise and build the entire business around.

The TV networks are finding it hard to match Netflix's user experience (aka, distribution). They might have great in-house content, but that no longer matters if their distribution isn't as good as Netflix's.

As for Netflix, they're behaving just like LOCOM predicts. They've farmed out the content side to others – in other words, they've modularised it. They buy in great shows and leave the details of content-creation to the experts.

Netflix is just one example of the general principle of LOCOM, which is as follows: a new entrant to the market can profit by integrating a part of the business model which had previously been modularised, and modularising the parts of the business model which had previously been integrated.

So when you see Uber valued at $62bn, or Amazon gobbling up the retail industry, or use money supermarket to choose a credit card – now you know what they're up to!

If you've made it this far, you're probably like me – a bit of an investing nerd. I find all this stuff interesting because it helps me in my day job as editor of The Penny Share Letter. It helps me think about disruptive companies and new business models – exactly what I'm after as a stock picker.

So if you want to see how I put all this to use, click here.

Best wishes,

Sean Keyes
Editor
Risk and Reward

P.s. Got any thoughts on this article? Reach me at sean@agora.co.uk
Old 28-01-2016, 12:36   #2496
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Got rid of the fully loaded version of Kodi that was on my M8S Android box, and just did an install of Blackbox build of Kodi... far superior in both visually and functionality.
Old 28-01-2016, 13:59   #2497
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Got rid of the fully loaded version of Kodi that was on my M8S Android box, and just did an install of Blackbox build of Kodi... far superior in both visually and functionality.
The fully loaded ones tend to be full of dead addons, blackbox and the beast are the two best builds imo, i only use my own build though.
Old 29-01-2016, 09:27   #2498
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Now TV launches most advanced box yet

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...vanced-box-yet
Old 29-01-2016, 09:29   #2499
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

It will be interesting to see the pricing details.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:43   #2500
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Interesting that there's no technical spec in the press release. For instance, does it have 'full' HD and/or - dare I say it - 4K capability? But more likely Sky are keeping 4K as an exclusive to their forthcoming Sky Q offering.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:50   #2501
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Interesting that there's no technical spec in the press release. For instance, does it have 'full' HD and/or - dare I say it - 4K capability? But more likely Sky are keeping 4K as an exclusive to their forthcoming Sky Q offering.
No idea the speculation is the box is the Roku 4 but who knows.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:13   #2502
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Netflix's confirms House of Cards to return for fifth season in 2017.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...dia_b-gdnmedia
Old 29-01-2016, 13:31   #2503
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

You have to hand it to Sky; they are embracing new technology and the trend towards streaming content with both Sky Q and Now TV.

Sky Q's features will help to prolong the satellite pay TV subscription side and the forthcoming Now TV help to keep cord cutters' business.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:57   #2504
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You have to hand it to Sky; they are embracing new technology and the trend towards streaming content with both Sky Q and Now TV.

Sky Q's features will help to prolong the satellite pay TV subscription side and the forthcoming Now TV help to keep cord cutters' business.
What I find strange is surely it can't just be a hybrid box providing the Freeview Channels and Now TV content surely Sky will want to increase the ARPU on Now TV.

HD at 1080p is well overdue , whatever the box consists of its a certainty it will do something Sky can charge you extra for. They would make nothing off just the fact it's hybrid apart from charging more for the hardware initially.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...-advanced-box/
Old 29-01-2016, 16:56   #2505
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Personally I'd have to ask what would be the point of putting Freeview in the NOW TV box? I can't see the advantage for a couple of reasons.

Now TV requires an HDMI connection as far as I know meaning it's pretty likely you've either already got Freeview built into the TV, or receive broadcast channels through another provider, rendering the Freeview hardware pointless.

Also Now TV is rebranded Roku hardware, which doesn't do Freeview. So to add it in means that Sky would have to source their hardware from someone else - and they seem fairly happy with Roku to date for Now TV.