Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky + worth it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky + worth it?

Old 09-08-2005, 10:23   #1
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them
Sky + worth it?

Hi i have NTL analog and am tempted to switch to sky +, wanting to know is it really worth the switch? and what is all the features + would offer me.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30   #2
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu
Re: Sky + worth it?

I have it and I must say I really like it. It is, however expensive I feel. If you are faultering on the cost then I would suggest that you consider something like the Humax (can't remember model no). This is a freeview box with a hard disk inside it that allows you to pause live TV, record more than one programme concurrently and rewind etc etc.

It's about £140 and the best thing is that there are no more costs beyond that!

Make sure that your arial is able to recieve a digital signal though...

It's so much quicker than the NTL box too...
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:31   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

I'd say so.

The recording functions integrates very nicely into the EPG and being able to pause/rewind TV if the phone rings or you have missed the first few minutes is superb.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:33   #4
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

It's more than worth it. Having had it for over a year I wouldn't be without it. The Sky website has all the features mentioned and a search of Cableforum will unearth many threads and posts discussing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
I have it and I must say I really like it. It is, however expensive I feel. If you are faultering on the cost then I would suggest that you consider something like the Humax (can't remember model no). This is a freeview box with a hard disk inside it that allows you to pause live TV, record more than one programme concurrently and rewind etc etc.

It's about £140 and the best thing is that there are no more costs beyond that!

Make sure that your arial is able to recieve a digital signal though...
Initial cost would be £89 for supply of the digibox and installation. If you take more than one premium channel then there is no extra charge for using the service.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:39   #5
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

i would want multiroom its no extra for second box? just£10 month. .
Old 09-08-2005, 11:05   #6
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
i would want multiroom its no extra for second box? just£10 month. .
Yes, as a new customer you would pay £89 for supply and installation of one Sky+ box and one standard digibox (provided other conditions such as qualifying packages are met).
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15   #7
akane1984
Inactive

obviously i read sky site wrong do you not get two + boxes for £89? and is sky doing the free sky sports offer still.

yeah its one + box and one normal, hm how much would it be for two plus boxes then???
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25   #8
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
yeah its one + box and one normal, hm how much would it be for two plus boxes then???
I think the only way to do this is get one 'normal' Sky+ box and one Sky+ 360 (£399)

Either that or buy the 2nd box separately and get an independant installation.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:28   #9
akane1984
Inactive

you mean buy 89 offer then buy second sky + box off eBay ?? or something
Old 09-08-2005, 13:00   #10
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Hi i have NTL analog and am tempted to switch to sky +, wanting to know is it really worth the switch? and what is all the features + would offer me.
I think if you're going to subscribe to a couple of premium channels (ie sports and/or movies) then it's worthwhile. But another £120 a year if you don't is way to steep IMHO.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 13:20   #11
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Question Re: Sky + worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
I think if you're going to subscribe to a couple of premium channels (ie sports and/or movies) then it's worthwhile. But another £120 a year if you don't is way to steep IMHO.
How is it steep?

Steep compared to what?

There's no direct equivalent really regarding install/plug & go is there?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 13:25   #12
ian@huth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Quote:
I think the only way to do this is get one 'normal' Sky+ box and one Sky+ 360 (£399)

Either that or buy the 2nd box separately and get an independant installation.
Call Sky and ask them. If the cost is too high I would go for the Sky+ box with standard box multiroom for £89. You can always source a second Sky+ box elsewhere that may be cheaper and swap this over with the standard digibox keeping it as a spare in case of problems until the 12 month contract is up when you can sell it on if you want.
Old 09-08-2005, 13:38   #13
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
How is it steep?

Steep compared to what?

There's no direct equivalent really regarding install/plug & go is there?
Steep compared to free, which is what it costs to tape something on DVD or VHS.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 18:51   #14
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

As long as you subscribe to channels over £19 you can have sky+.
If your going to join, join with sky+ straight away, don't get std sky & think you will upgrade later because it costs you more.

If you think you will like recording stuff & keeping it for a while, go for the bigger hard drive unit, currently it's down in price.

Insist on a pace V2 box, ensure you have phone lines in both rooms as for multiroom they check up more often to ensure your not lending/renting your 2nd std box to a friend etc.

If you need new phone cables to the bedrooms then best to get an extension & fit it yourself, Ihave seen some right messes where they will only staple to the skirting.

Sky Plus ROCKS!
It's so briliant being able to pause something when the phone rings, record it to watch later if your on long, record the simpson to keep the kids quiete while your watching a documentary & to record Alison on QVC for er indoors so she can get all the best beauty tips while you have been watching a sci fi etc.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 20:44   #15
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I've switched to Sky+ and I'd *never* go back to NTL TV!

Let's see: an EPG that *works*, a red button that *works*, series linking on recordings, pausing live TV, instant rewind on the channel you've been watching...

These are just a few of the features that NTL doesn't have!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote