Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading with 250Gb Hard disk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upgrading with 250Gb Hard disk

Old 23-12-2004, 13:53   #1
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix
Upgrading with 250Gb Hard disk

Ok,

I decided to upgrade my Sky+ box to a 250Gb Hard disk, just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so what problems you have found etc?

Ive read a thread over at DS, which gives full instructions etc, and have been building / repairing PCs for years so am fairly confident. Just really looking for real experiences etc...

KP
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2004, 15:39   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Upgrading with 250Gb Hard disk

i aint , but i seem to recall something about the box complaining about the amount of free space being wrong
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 21:13   #3
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
i aint , but i seem to recall something about the box complaining about the amount of free space being wrong
AFAIK the new software release to coincide with SKY160+ gets around this?!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 21:18   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
AFAIK the new software release to coincide with SKY160+ gets around this?!
I also believe this is the case, it should recognise the full 250GB ok.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 09:56   #5
KingPhoenix
Inactive

KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array

Yeah, thats what i read, with the new firmware it should be able to read it... i was just wondering if it would cause any issues, i.e. programs getting lost etc........
Old 24-12-2004, 10:37   #6
Tricky
Inactive

Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

AFAIK the old firmware was OK keeping programmes etc. it was just the %age free that was wrong (minor issue?) at the end of the day, if it's all wrong you've got a 250gb HDD for your PC!
Old 24-12-2004, 10:55   #7
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Well will do it tonight (maybe, depends on how much ive had to drink)

Will let you know how it turns out, and what problems (if any) i come accross

KP
Old 24-12-2004, 11:20   #8
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix

Well will do it tonight (maybe, depends on how much ive had to drink)

Will let you know how it turns out, and what problems (if any) i come accross

KP
Personally, I think you should do it after Xmas. If things go wrong then you'll miss the Queen's speech

I might do the same with my box if yours doesn't fry it!
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 23:40   #9
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

I take it he's blown it up, as we've heard nothing else since.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 16:28   #10
KingPhoenix
Inactive

The hard disk is a bugger

Basically according to DS you should initialize the drive using maxtors powermax (no probs.... done) then you should use a program called wvset to turn write verify off (found the program, no probs, but it cant find the hard disk :S) then you should use a proggie called amset to put it into quiet mode (found the program, but again it cant see the hard drive)

Currently doing a low level format using the powermax software, and will try again
Old 26-12-2004, 17:06   #11
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The hard disk is a bugger

Basically according to DS you should initialize the drive using maxtors powermax (no probs.... done) then you should use a program called wvset to turn write verify off (found the program, no probs, but it cant find the hard disk :S) then you should use a proggie called amset to put it into quiet mode (found the program, but again it cant see the hard drive)

Currently doing a low level format using the powermax software, and will try again
Amset will only work from pure DOS mode, you can't do it within windows (it won't detect the drive, as you've already found out), burn a Boot CD with those 2 apps on and give it another go.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 08:56   #12
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Already using a dos boot disk..... pure dos.... nothing else.....

This low level format is taking forever (21 hours so far) and judging by the numbers, at least another 2 hours to go.....

Ive tried looking on Maxtors site, but cant find anything..... i really hate maxtor drives but according to DS they have the best success rate in Sky+ units

Im just gonna see if there is a new version of the util or something, cos powermax sees the drives no probs..... but these other 2 dont
Old 27-12-2004, 12:33   #13
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Already using a dos boot disk..... pure dos.... nothing else.....

This low level format is taking forever (21 hours so far) and judging by the numbers, at least another 2 hours to go.....

Ive tried looking on Maxtors site, but cant find anything..... i really hate maxtor drives but according to DS they have the best success rate in Sky+ units

Im just gonna see if there is a new version of the util or something, cos powermax sees the drives no probs..... but these other 2 dont
Low level formats are a nightmare, it took a couple of hours to format a 4 gig drive years ago using that method. Not sure what to tell you about AMSET, works perfectly using a dos boot CD here.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 10:17   #14
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Well after the low level format all worked perfectly..... had it installed for a while now and its all going smoothly..... only thing is the hard disk is a little noisier, (you hear it spin up when you power the unit up, but thats all) Ive been recording junk just to test it, its about 20% full so far, and i have about 24 hours of Tv to watch :O :O :O

Ive kept the old drive, cos i have the extended warranty on the sky+ box, theres no security stickers or anything, so i can just swap the drives over should i need to have it repaired or anything

A worth while update
Old 30-12-2004, 20:03   #15
Tricky
Inactive

Question - If you connect the old drive to your PC can you see any data on the drive? - I was thinking of a mod to my SKY+ to allow a docking solution for Laptop 2" HDD's and then I could burn programmes to DVD using my PC