Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue has been switched off,the VCR's not working!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Analogue has been switched off,the VCR's not working!

Old 23-05-2009, 18:23   #1
jillliv
Inactive

Services: idtv&humax 9150T,no moreanalogue signal.internet voda payg dongle
jillliv is an unknown quantity at this point
Analogue has been switched off,the VCR's not working!

Hiya,

Down here in Devon, the analogue channels were switched off on Weds (20th May)

My old analogue TV died in December, so I went out and bought an IDTV (with the freeview already integrated).

However, since Weds, I have been recieving freeview channels no problem.I wasn't able to recieve anything more than analogue channels 1-4 before that. But my VCR is failing to pick up any signals!
I've played around with the wires at the back and swapped them around. My arial is plugged into the VCR, with another arial cable connecting it to the tv. Scart 2 socket on the TV is plugged into the Scart on the VCR saying tv in.Still no joy!!!!I've tried recording from the AV channel, no luck, and it won't search for channels while in AV mode.

My question is, do I have to ditch the VCR and shell out on a PVR?Or is there another way round it?I have been searching and some say you can buy a cheap freeview set-top box and use that for the VCR, but how does that set-up work?Also if that's a solution can anyone reccommend a cheap box that will do the job?

Many thanks, Jill
jillliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2009, 19:49   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Analogue has been switched off,the VCR's not working!

Hi Jill, As you have now lost the analogue feed and presuming that there is no digital tuner in your VCR there is no point in having your aerial plugged into it as it will not be able to use the digital signal. The VCR will, unfortunately, only record whatever channel you choose on your TV.

The simplest option to operate would be to get a new recorder with built in Freeview which would also give you the option of recording one channel whilst you watch another. I am sure there must be a way to use a Freeview set top box with your existing VCR and new TV but it would depend on how many scart sockets you have on your TV.
Old 23-05-2009, 20:03   #3
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Yep
VCRS are DEAD realy, freeview PVRs are needed now.
The only way to record from IDTVs are VIA scart out on the TV, but not all Scart sockets on TVs are outputs, Some are only inputs the same applys to the VCR.
The Scart labeled decoder/sat/Aux 2/ input scart is usaly the only input scart socket the problem is that you cant look at the input channel as you need the TV for viewing it, when you do this you can change what the VCR is recording.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 20:32   #4
jillliv
Inactive

Thanks for replying, it's what I thought. A bit annoying though, having just shelled out for a new TV five months ago. I'm looking at the Humax PVR1590T recievers, they seem to be a good make, and a local retailer has them for £119.

Just wanted to check before I paid up!
Old 23-05-2009, 23:40   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The only real use for your VCR now is to replay legacy tapes, and you should think about transferring them to DVD. VCR's now only come in combi from and the ability to repair them when they go wrong is becoming a dying art.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 11:03   #6
jillliv
Inactive

Actually I forgot to say, the VCR model I have is a VCR/DVD combi machine, but as the DVD side of it died just over a year after purchase,and I didn't have a guarantee beyond 1 year, that side of the machine is never used!So, it's a good excuse to get rid of it!

I may do an experiment with the "pause live tv" function later,I'm out for a couple of hours and will see how long it pauses for. Of course, that's not a long term option, as leaving the TV on for 2 hours when i'm not there is a waste of electricity!I'm still getting used to the digital mode on the TV - it's all been of no use to me till two weeks ago, the Freeview signal in the area was too weak to pick up ANYTHING digital!
Old 25-05-2009, 13:20   #7
jillliv
Inactive

Right, I've now bought my Humax PVR1590T. It's a great little machine, and apart from my co-axial arial plug needing re-wiring, everything is going great!

Going through the manual which is on a cd, it looks like I could potentialy wire the VCR up to that, for playback of other videos?

Mind you in the instructions it says make sure there is a 10cm gap between the machines, and surroundings? In that corner,all fighting for space is also a small tv wired up to my PS2,and a small dvd player.

Thoughts?
Old 26-05-2009, 08:58   #8
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Nice purchase.
Yes the Gaps are for air flow, normal small print.
The PVR only Needs one HDMI or scart out for the TV, the other can be connected to the VCR for your tapes play back. If your TV does not have enough Scart sockets.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote