Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 20:11   #1216
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why would Sky even bother with the development time to bring an app to VM TiVo when most of its channels can already be received through VM anyway and the Now TV box is available for peanuts for anyone to purchase.

Do you really think VM would want to add an app what promotes a direct relationship for it's customer with Sky ?

At this stage it's complete fantasy land in my opinion.
Totally agree with you.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2017, 20:16   #1217
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Why would Sky even bother with the development time to bring an app to VM TiVo when most of its channels can already be received through VM anyway and the Now TV box is available for peanuts for anyone to purchase.

Do you really think VM would want to add an app what promotes a direct relationship for it's customer with Sky ?

At this stage it's complete fantasy land in my opinion.
Yep l cannot see it happening MM but OB is legendary for his refusal to see anything otherwise and tends to stick to his guns like a stubborn Alabama tick.
Old 04-05-2017, 20:28   #1218
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

In the coming months Sky are going to be able to offer their channels directly to VM and every other ISP's customers when their Sky Q service will be delivered via the internet.

Personally I don't think it will be for me as I'm guessing you will have to have a Sky Q box and they will keep to the antiquated business model of forcing people to buy bundles of channels, but interesting times are ahead in the near future.
Old 04-05-2017, 20:38   #1219
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
In the coming months Sky are going to be able to offer their channels directly to VM and every other ISP's customers when their Sky Q service will be delivered via the internet.
At the moment nothing is known on this product , making the product open to customers with any ISP doesn't ensure QOS and leaves Sky open to complaints when in fact the problem could lie with the customers ISP.
Old 04-05-2017, 20:45   #1220
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Well currently BT still can not provide their own full service to many of their own customers.
Old 04-05-2017, 21:43   #1221
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They already offer their channels directly to Virgin and every other ISPs' customers by providing satellite dishes though. I don't think it'll be a major driver of growth, rather fill in a few gaps - unless they plan to use the service to increase the number of UHD channels, rather than renting more spectrum on Astra.
Old 04-05-2017, 23:40   #1222
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks MM.

So 2 out of 18 devices.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:33   #1223
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yep l cannot see it happening MM but OB is legendary for his refusal to see anything otherwise and tends to stick to his guns like a stubborn Alabama tick.
I didn't say it would happen, Den, just pointing out that it is an option. I would like to see the VM boxes become comprehensive streaming boxes offering a full range of services, but I dare say I'm just spitting in the wind.

From what I have read, it is more likely that VM will be able to add the channel to its Full House package before much longer. This will probably be once Game of Thrones is finished and will most likely appear when the Sky contracts come up for renewal.
Old 05-05-2017, 18:19   #1224
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
They already offer their channels directly to Virgin and every other ISPs' customers by providing satellite dishes though. I don't think it'll be a major driver of growth, rather fill in a few gaps - unless they plan to use the service to increase the number of UHD channels, rather than renting more spectrum on Astra.
I cannot have Sky where I live any many properties around here can't.
I live in a nice block and many properties around here are the same as mine, but the management companies simply refuse to allow satellite dishes to be erected (I assume as everywhere here is fully cabled up they all have agreements with VM to not allow dishes for a certain number of years).

Areas like this can't be unique and the cynical side of me thinks Sky may want to take advantage of other company's superior BB networks to further their reach.

As I said I can't see it being a product for me unless I can choose the channels I wish to pay for and am not lumbered with one piece of propriety hardware, but when an area like this now has a minimum 100 mbps internet connection via VM which is superior to anything Sky (or any other ISP) can offer it will be interesting to see if they tempt customers directly to Sky Q for TV but who choose to keep VM for Broadband.
That sort of customer must be almost pure profit for Sky rather than accepting a percentage of the Virgin TV sub Sky are currently getting.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30   #1225
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Sky will have to strike deals with Broadband providers if they want their internet TV service available across platforms, VM already throttle Netflix, Amazon and the like, anyone with 4K Netflix and Amazon will tell you there are certain times you can not achieve 4K streaming even with 200mb BB.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:48   #1226
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Not sometime I ever saw when I was on 200mb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Sky will have to strike deals with Broadband providers if they want their internet TV service available across platforms, VM already throttle Netflix, Amazon and the like, anyone with 4K Netflix and Amazon will tell you there are certain times you can not achieve 4K streaming even with 200mb BB.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04   #1227
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Maybe this should be renamed what's happening at virgin media because apart from price rises,odd channel add on, sky renaming a movie channel, a waste of time called TV anywhere ( can't use on 3G or 4g) where It only works on home wifi and downloading content is way way to slow and embarrassing for virgin media, virgin store not here yet as promised, waken up virgin media it's so embarrassing
Old 06-05-2017, 15:35   #1228
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
I think I read that they will require you to take their own top-tier fibre broadband.
Old 06-05-2017, 17:05   #1229
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sky cinema Matt Damon launches on Monday
Old 06-05-2017, 17:06   #1230
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I live in a nice block and many properties around here are the same as mine, but the management companies simply refuse to allow satellite dishes to be erected (I assume as everywhere here is fully cabled up they all have agreements with VM to not allow dishes for a certain number of years).

I doubt that is the case, but you never know. My block of flats was cabled up many years go, but there is absolutely no restriction on Sky being installed. However it should be installed as a communal dish feeding the flats, and the install company will require a minimum number of flats to sign up for it before installing.

I understand that local bylaws prevent multiple dishes being installed in blocks of flats, hence the communal dish requirement. Around here, people ignore those bylaws and install an individual dish if they want Sky.

I'm not sure how your flats work, but here, we employ the management company to handle routine maintenance etc. so they have no right to prevent us going down the communal dish path if we wanted to.
Closed Thread