Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 20-05-2014, 21:44   #181
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed my 15 year old Ferolie boiler with a new main board. One of the relays had failed and it had no info on it so i could replace it. I found a company on ebay that will swap your old board for a refurbished and all for £50.00. Saved me £258 for a new board.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2014, 22:29   #182
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Fixed Osem Jnr # 2's shorts which were too loose and kept falling down.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 10:09   #183
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Fixed Osem Jnr # 2's shorts which were too loose and kept falling down.
I usually find drawing pins work, if you can't find the staple gun.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 14:04   #184
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

The chain on the bath plug, but who knows how long it will stay that way. LOL
Old 28-05-2014, 14:52   #185
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
The chain on the bath plug, but who knows how long it will stay that way. LOL
Yeah they are a pain, always breaking. Given up repairing mine now.
Old 01-06-2014, 22:55   #186
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Just fixed the wifes Renaultsport Megane 2 again, the drivers side dipped beam had stopped working, tried the usual bulb and checked the fuses but neither were blown, so had to take off the front bumper, both headlights, Battery, Battery box, ECU, and lots of plastic trim just to get access to the wiring harness from the fuse box to the light fitting

Unpicked all the old insulation tape and got busy with my circuit tester, several hours later I found a broken live wire that had been rubbing behind the horn bracket, one scotch lock and bit of insulation tape later and the problem was fixed, total cost was less than 2 quid

Then 2 hours putting it all back together again, it felt good being able to stick it to the frenchies yet again though
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 00:42   #187
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Then 2 hours putting it all back together again, it felt good being able to stick it to the frenchies yet again though
I would have torched the car. and sent them a proper message
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 00:45   #188
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I would have torched the car. and sent them a proper message
That's the point, lights not working
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 17:31   #189
Osem
Inactive

I've just 'fixed' the 5 lever mortice lock into our porch doors. The doors are rebated so this has been no easy task for my limited carpentry skills but I think I've done an OK job so far. Now I just have to fit the strikeplate and rebate kit to both parts of the lock and it'll be another job done.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47   #190
Osem
Inactive

Well there's a lesson learned. When fitting the strikeplate on the rebated French doors I had a flash of inspiration and decided to try cutting out the mortice using my CEL sonic cutter. I can't tell you how much easier, quicker and more accurate it was than the usual method of marking the cut, drilling holes and chiselling out or otherwise removing the excess material. For anyone who's never seen/used one, these things are terrific - the cutting blade is flat and oscillates slightly at a very high frequency which means it's very controllable and accurate (no kick back), there's minimal dust blown around and plunge cuts are very simple to make and keep square/true. I wish I'd thought of using it for fitting the 5 lever sashlock on the opening door but c'est la vie. I'll remember next time and I'm definitely using it for cutting the letterplate opening...

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25   #191
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally sorted the very annoying engine rattle/top end noise on my Rover 45.

Ever since I changed the head gasket last year the top end had got a bit noisy, and was slowly getting worse. I'd tried to use a stethoscope to isolate which tappet was noisy but I simply couldn't. The only other issue was that on overrun, the radio would start lightly crackling, so I decided to give the coils and HT leads a good clean.

In the end I also removed the spark plugs, and found them to be oddly loose (not overly, but not exactly tight either). So I nipped them up, along with a few of the 8mm bolts holding the rocker cover down. Once I started the engine the difference was remarkable. The tapping noise was gone, and I can only assume it was down to a loose plug "chuffing" when the engine warmed up.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:01   #192
Osem
Inactive

Wonder how much your local 'reputable' garage would have charged you?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:17   #193
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Wonder how much your local 'reputable' garage would have charged you?

Not a lot I suspect, as they're a good bunch of lads (as are most in the trade).

An estate agent on the other hand...
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 18:39   #194
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Just "fixed" my broken hdd/dvd recorder so that the bin-dippers don't get anything useful out of it when I chuck it on the tip. DVD/RW transport is fine and it might come in handy for something later on.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 19:16   #195
Osem
Inactive

Just fixed a broken round-over router bit. The bearing disintegrated as I was fabricating some glazing beads for my porch (luckily it didn't damage the work too much) but I managed to salvage another bearing from an old bit and used that.