Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 13-03-2015, 13:59   #5596
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you count the programmes of interest amongst the Sky channels with those that appeal to you on terrestrial or Netflix, I think you will be startled by the results.

However, when it comes to sports, as Sky have the lion's share of that, I agree there is little competition.
I'm well aware what we watch and record , we watch very little off terrestrial mainly key dramas , we do watch quite a few things on Netflix but thats easily matched by what we watch on Sky Atlantic.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2015, 14:25   #5597
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Whilst I agree Sky and VM are becoming too expensive I still think Sky offer some good content across its channels however the problem is this can now all be accessed for £6.99 a month making the family bundle at £30 plus look massively overpriced.
It can't all be accessed for £6.99 p/m. There are some reasonably prominent pay channels missing from the Now TV entertainment pack; Alibi, Watch and Universal being a few examples.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:28   #5598
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm well aware what we watch and record , we watch very little off terrestrial mainly key dramas , we do watch quite a few things on Netflix but thats easily matched by what we watch on Sky Atlantic.
OK.

I'm a bit surprised by that, but OK.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:40   #5599
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It can't all be accessed for £6.99 p/m. There are some reasonably prominent pay channels missing from the Now TV entertainment pack; Alibi, Watch and Universal being a few examples.
I was referring to the Sky branded channels as that's what OB was mentioning.
Quote:
OK.

I'm a bit surprised by that, but OK.
I guess we all have different viewing tastes , the BBC has very little we watch in our house , probably the most watched was the kids with Cbeebies years back.
Old 13-03-2015, 15:03   #5600
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
When you compare the likes of Netflix to the likes of Sky, I find much more choice on Netflix and it is far, far cheaper. I'm currently watching Damages, Lilyhammer, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards on Netflix, with a good range of films and TV series lined up to watch when I can fit them in. All for £5.99 per month. Bargain in my opinion.

Unless it comes to VM in the next couple of months, I will get a Fire TV box and subscribe to Amazon also, which must at least double the choice, and maybe more.

The pay per view stuff on Amazon is not part of the subscription simply because they cost more for the rights, presumably. However, it is an expensive way to watch and it would be better if they had a second tier subscription level that would make these 'free' to watch.

As far as VM are concerned, I think they would be doing their viewers a service by giving them as much choice away from Sky as it is possible to do, because Sky is not good value in my opinion. I think they have similar ideas, which is why I do expect more streaming services to be arriving on the TIVO in the near future.

I am ditching Sky Sports when the price rise is announced.
Yup, Netflix is good value, I don't recall saying it wasn't..

Yeah, I guess Amazon pay more for the rights to those shows, so charge why not charge £6.99/£7.99/£8.99 a month instead? They don't need to charge me £20 to watch a season of Braquo, I will go buy the bluray/dvd and get the extras thanks. They don't need to offer an ad funded cheaper service either, they just need to offer their service at a fair and reasonable price. It drives me mad. They are blatantly ripping off customers and are no better than Sky Sports or Sky Movies in that respect..

I understand they need to charge for the HBO shows, though. Sky and HBO have ruined that avenue of legally watching that content without it costing a fortune. Unless you have Sky obviously.

I would happily pay £7.99 a month for all their content, but instead they get nothing from me. That being said, I agree VM would do well to get the app on TIVO and their customers that option.

You could probably buy a Bluray player for less than fire TV, with amazon prime and hundreds of other apps too. My Samsung bluray player has more apps than I know what to do with.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 16:31   #5601
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Not been released however I've seen it on DS forums and noticed on the Sky website that they'll increase in June.

Both Sky and VM are getting way too expensive in my opinion.
Agreed ! Thanks for posting the info , I will keep me eyes open.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 18:36   #5602
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I don't believe the prices quoted on DS though.
No way in a month of Sundays will Sports go up by £5.50! Sky aren't that stupid.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 18:41   #5603
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky might not be stupid but they are certainly greedy.
Old 13-03-2015, 19:04   #5604
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I don't believe the prices quoted on DS though.
No way in a month of Sundays will Sports go up by £5.50! Sky aren't that stupid.
Thank god there are alternatives

But how do you think they are going to recuperate the high price they paid for Football rights

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 19:12   #5605
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Yup, Netflix is good value, I don't recall saying it wasn't..

Yeah, I guess Amazon pay more for the rights to those shows, so charge why not charge £6.99/£7.99/£8.99 a month instead? They don't need to charge me £20 to watch a season of Braquo, I will go buy the bluray/dvd and get the extras thanks. They don't need to offer an ad funded cheaper service either, they just need to offer their service at a fair and reasonable price. It drives me mad. They are blatantly ripping off customers and are no better than Sky Sports or Sky Movies in that respect..
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the prices for the digital purchase/rent titles are not set by Amazon; they are set by the studio that produces them or the company that has the distribution rights. The digital purchase/rent titles are often available on multiple services at the same price.
Old 13-03-2015, 19:29   #5606
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the prices for the digital purchase/rent titles are not set by Amazon; they are set by the studio that produces them or the company that has the distribution rights. The digital purchase/rent titles are often available on multiple services at the same price.
Its crazy that the digital downloads cost more than buying the optical media though isn't it.
Old 13-03-2015, 19:45   #5607
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I was referring to the Sky branded channels as that's what OB was mentioning.

I guess we all have different viewing tastes , the BBC has very little we watch in our house , probably the most watched was the kids with Cbeebies years back.
Quite. I'm genuinely amazed that anyone does. With Top Gear looking in danger I can't think of much else worth watching. I often think that advert saying that 95% of the most watched programmes are on freeview has as much to do with availability as quality. If you ignore the World Cup and the admittedly excellent Sherlock, last year's most watched shows were reality shows like I'm a Celebrity, Strictly and Bake Off. They might be entertaining but they're hardly the hallmark of quality television.
Old 13-03-2015, 20:00   #5608
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If that is the case PB, I guess I better apologize to Amazon..
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 20:03   #5609
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Its crazy that the digital downloads cost more than buying the optical media though isn't it.
Absolutely, especially as you don't get the extras with the download. It's the same with CD sets with enclosed booklets (though I have seen the odd instance of booklets offered as a pdf.)

Personally, I buy second hand optical media of both DVDs and CDs, at a fraction of the cost, and then rip them.
Old 13-03-2015, 21:34   #5610
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I've just received a 30 day free trial offer for Amazon Prime, not sure if my Blu-ray player has this app, but what's your thought's guys? should I give it a go?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote