Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-02-2015, 13:29   #5521
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Its called choice. Why force people to pay for it who dont watch or want it. ?
It's not about choice. It's about what makes financial sense for BT.

Why would they withdraw the wholesale deal when they would get less money coming in if people had to purchase it separately? Doesn't make business sense.

That doesn't mean I don't sympathise with your sentiments, Sirius!

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

[/COLOR]lol, no one is being forced to pay for pay TV. There's a whole range of packs and providers out there and Vodafone is entering the market this year as well. The business model around packs is about the benefit of bulk buying and supplying in scale. You lose the cost benefits when you don't do this. That being said, there are some good options out there now for people who want more control over what they get eg TalkTalk TV, Netflix, Now TV, BT Sport, VuTV, etc. But the whole point of packs is that there will always be something in that pack to make it worthwhile getting. It will never be the whole pack as everyone's tastes are different and you can only ever watch a fraction of what you subscribe to anyway.
Yes, Andrew, but we are forced to pay over the odds for the XL pack because of the BT channels which many do not want. We don't want to move to other providers.

The current system is not good for consumers and that's one of the reasons why I prefer the streaming choices that I have referred to in a separate thread on the future of linear TV.

Look at the huge choice you get on Netflix compared to the TV packs that we subscribe to through Virgin (and the same through Sky, etc). Not good value when you think about it, is it?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2015, 13:45   #5522
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

And yet you still pay

Despite all the choices you tell us there are.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:55   #5523
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And yet you still pay

Despite all the choices you tell us there are.
That's because we haven't got all the choices on streaming yet. That's the way of the future.

In my humble opinion, of course.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 22:00   #5524
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

I'm hoping bt sport stays in xl next season, not likely maybe but I haven't given up hope. It carries my 2 favourite sports leagues in NBA and Serie a so I'd be looking to carry on with it somehow

I love my sport but to be honest the season ticket for sky sports is the only reason I have it this year, 15 quid a month and paying up front was a pretty decent deal I thought, if that's not repeated I won't be paying the standard monthly fee I'm afraid
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:26   #5525
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
I'm hoping bt sport stays in xl next season, not likely maybe but I haven't given up hope. It carries my 2 favourite sports leagues in NBA and Serie a so I'd be looking to carry on with it somehow

I love my sport but to be honest the season ticket for sky sports is the only reason I have it this year, 15 quid a month and paying up front was a pretty decent deal I thought, if that's not repeated I won't be paying the standard monthly fee I'm afraid
There's always a chance, but it will likely come at a higher price to Virgin and ultimately to us the consumers.
When Virgin secured BT sport as part of the XL pack, BT sport wasn't a tried and tested business model. BT had no idea what sort of viewership they were going to get, they had no idea how many people would take their broadband etc, stuff they all know now, so they may decide they don't need Virgin, but I think the likelihood is they will allow Virgin to keep it, but will want more money. Which is fair enough really when we consider how much stronger BT sport has become.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 14:44   #5526
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post

Agree with you regarding hoping BT Sport staying in the XL pack. If they becomes stand alone channels then then I too would have to dump BT Sports.
Couldn`t take advantage of the Sky Sports season ticket due to lack of funds but hopefully if they repeat the offer again next season I`l be able to afford it.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:29   #5527
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Agree with you regarding hoping BT Sport staying in the XL pack. If they becomes stand alone channels then then I too would have to dump BT Sports.
Couldn`t take advantage of the Sky Sports season ticket due to lack of funds but hopefully if they repeat the offer again next season I`l be able to afford it.
Anyone have an idea of the subscriber base of the XL pack before and after the deal with BT sports? That would be very telling whether Virgin continue to offer it or not I would think.

If Virgin didn't do a deal with BT to keep BT sports then this would be the first time the Premier league hasn't been available with the XL pack for a number of years and we could well see a decline in XL pack customers.
Old 15-02-2015, 15:45   #5528
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well if BT Sports does exit the XL pack then Virgin will have to have something up their sleeves to replace it and perhaps having Netflix or something similar might just be their answer to that possible scenario.
Old 15-02-2015, 16:19   #5529
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Anyone have an idea of the subscriber base of the XL pack before and after the deal with BT sports? That would be very telling whether Virgin continue to offer it or not I would think.

If Virgin didn't do a deal with BT to keep BT sports then this would be the first time the Premier league hasn't been available with the XL pack for a number of years and we could well see a decline in XL pack customers.
I only subsribe to the XL package because BT Sports channela are included. I would downgrade if they leave as I personally can`t see anything good enough to make me stay,not even Netflix which I found to be rubbish when I had it free for 6 months.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 18:01   #5530
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky Sports customers set be hit with hefty price rises in the next few years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...ague-deal.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...e-auction.html
Old 15-02-2015, 18:12   #5531
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

we all knew it was going up
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 18:26   #5532
tvtimes
Inactive

Quote:

Thank you for the links.

Quote:
Since the last auction, Sky has worked hard to reduce its reliance on the Premier League to draw big-spending subscribers, with heavy backing for exclusive dramas such as Game of Thrones and investment in new technology-driven products. Its internet-based services Now TV, Sky Store and Sky Go are the engines of growth and it has repeatedly highlighted the success and opportunities beyond football.
Does he really believe in what he's saying? If Sky has reduced its reliance on the Premier league, then why bid so ridiculously high to make sure they retained it?

Quote:
Sky has sought to reassure shareholders by revealing that it already had plans “in our back pocket” to cover the extra Premier League cost by cutting costs in its network and by using online chat software for more customer service in its UK business.
What network? I'm confused! So there is going to be job losses, great for the economy!

Quote:
“It’s just way too early to say,” says Darroch. “We’re 18 months away from the new contract. We’re looking across the whole range of what we do. We’re treating all customers fairly. Whether you’re a sport customer, a basic customer or a movies customer we’re putting more value into your package.”
I don't call charging all customers across the board regardless of whether they're sports fans or not for their ridiculous over spending is fair at all.

All sounds like typical Sky bs to me.
Old 15-02-2015, 18:26   #5533
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
we all knew it was going up
Indeed it is going up and by a fair bit in these coming years and then there could be more on top for BT Sports customers as well.
Old 15-02-2015, 19:01   #5534
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
What network? I'm confused! So there is going to be job losses, great for the economy!
Broadcast !!!!

Most of Sky's software releases introduce cost savings , examples of late are Sky Store resulting in the reduction of Sky Box Office capacity , better efficiencies in satellite broadcasting freeing up space , card pairing done by the box saving calls to customer services something that represented an extremely high percentage of the calls received.

I'm sure I read somewhere that moving to the cloud will also represent increased savings for Sky with a goal of moving to STB's without HDD's which are both cheaper to produce and less problematic in the field resulting in fewer engineer visits.

Of course I agree the customers will see price rises owing to these exuberant amounts paid and as you say its unfair on those who have little to no interest in EPL Football.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 19:31   #5535
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Indeed it is going up and by a fair bit in these coming years and then there could be more on top for BT Sports customers as well.
Aye it's going to be ridiculous. Hopefully one more season with only a small rise before it goes to hell in 16/17
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote