Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Laptop wont connect to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Wifi for DL380 running Windows 2003 enterprise server

Old 23-01-2008, 15:31   #1
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Wifi for DL380 running Windows 2003 enterprise server

I've got an old G1 DL380 running windows 2003 enterprise server.
When it was at my parents, a couple of years back, we ran it from the garage with a dlink wifi card, and a dlink wifi cable modem.

Finally got round to rebuilding it at my house, and the dlink card couldn't connect to the sky netgear router, really weak signal, and when I typed in the security passphrase, it would lose connection to the router and ask me again.
So got a belkin wireless G router (7000UK) and it instantly connects to the router with full strength.
Great you might think, but as soon as I start using the network, to upload a file to the server for instance or download an app from the net to it, the network drops out, killing the file transfer.

Anyone got suggestions? Or a recomendation for a PCI wifi G card which works with 2003?

While you're at it, any recomendations for a USB PCI card, as the one I'm using also can't transfer large files from USB mass storage devices, they fail with an i/o error.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2008, 16:47   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Wifi for DL380 running Windows 2003 enterprise server

I've used a Linksys WMP54G in servers before, but just check product docs - doesn't specifically say 2003, but I'm sure I've had it working using the XP driver before...
Old 23-01-2008, 16:52   #3
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

The Belkin 7000UK runs on the XP driver too.
According to some sites it's designed to work with 2003, but on belkins, it's not mentioned.
Just bloomin' annoying that I have full signal, and then when I start using the network, it drops out.

One thing about the drivers, on the site there are several versions for the revisions of the card (1-7) and you tell the version by the first number after Ver. on a sticker on the card and box.
Thing is, mine says "Ver. 7000uk" and new, so I'm guessing that'll be version 7's drivers.
Old 23-01-2008, 17:10   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

increasing the signal is easy if you have detachable connections on your kit
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...l#post34408013

or just make a few parabolic foil covered paper things to put over the routers current arials in the direction you want the signal to go, see link above or search here as someone did post a plan the other week i think.

but the dropping of the connection with full power DB is a problem iv not seen before?...
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 17:48   #5
Xaccers
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
but the dropping of the connection with full power DB is a problem iv not seen before?...
Nor have I, it's as though the network is getting swamped and has to reset, but my other computers don't get kicked off at the same time so it's the belkin doing it.
Even just pinging the server shows timeouts with full signal