Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2017, 17:22   #196
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l posted a clear link not that long ago but alas as usual you chose to ignore its clear evidence about the future UK football rights market..
I don't ignore posts, Den, but I must have missed that one!
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2017, 17:22   #197
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Knock it off you two, this isnt the playground.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 27-11-2017, 19:20   #198
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

We've gone on about Amazon bidding for football but Facebook might want a slice of the pie too, a old link yes but still interesting https://www.theguardian.com/football...g-live-matches

Also possible confirmation that both Amazon and Facebook will bid for premiership rights http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7960721.html
Old 28-11-2017, 08:39   #199
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The source of these articles remains Ed Woodward, and it would be good to find another source to confirm that what he is thinking is correct. Obviously, Amazon and Facebook won't be going public with their intentions, but interesting that they continue not to deny it.

YouTube is another possible contender for the rights, with Google and Twitter being less likely to bid, in my view.
Old 28-11-2017, 13:39   #200
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Why have they not gone for any bigger rights in their home country ?
Old 28-11-2017, 14:05   #201
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
l think the answer to that is perfectly clear as to why nothing will come from the baseless media speculation over here on this side of the pond MM.
Old 28-11-2017, 14:18   #202
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Because most of them are tied up with existing rights, I suppose. Amazon have only recently ventured into the arena of streamed sports, so the big question is what will they go for as those rights expire.

Here is a neat analysis of whether Amazon might go for the premiership bidding.

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/analysi...-/2434.article

Last edited by OLD BOY; 28-11-2017 at 14:54.
Old 28-11-2017, 21:18   #203
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Because most of them are tied up with existing rights, I suppose. Amazon have only recently ventured into the arena of streamed sports, so the big question is what will they go for as those rights expire.

Here is a neat analysis of whether Amazon might go for the premiership bidding.

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/analysi...-/2434.article
An interesting article, although I disagree on one point it raises,
Amazon or any other potential new bidder would not have to set up a full production operation, they could do what the likes of NBC and many overseas broadcasters do and take the Premier League feed and commentary.
I doubt if most fans would care if the get the Premier League feed (I find it better than Sky or BT's offerings) of a full on production.
Old 28-11-2017, 21:51   #204
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Amazon or any other potential new bidder would not have to set up a full production operation, they could do what the likes of NBC and many overseas broadcasters do and take the Premier League feed and commentary.
I doubt if most fans would care if the get the Premier League feed (I find it better than Sky or BT's offerings) of a full on production.
Agree with this also love how on FOXsports and NBCsports you can get the full atmosphere by selecting one of the bonus streams with no commentary or even a fixed camera stream so you see it from a fans point of view.
Old 29-11-2017, 10:48   #205
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well, that's what I thought, too, but I'm glad you said it! People always seem to want to complicate things!
Old 29-11-2017, 16:42   #206
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Agree with this also love how on FOXsports and NBCsports you can get the full atmosphere by selecting one of the bonus streams with no commentary or even a fixed camera stream so you see it from a fans point of view.
On another US sports service I also like ESPN's multicast feature, if you want two or more games on at a time it looks very handy.
I personally have one game on my main TV and another on with the sound down on my Microsoft Surface in the background, but if I didn't have this option I'd make use of multicast quite frequently.

When you use US streaming services it makes you realise how inept our offerings are!
Old 29-11-2017, 16:46   #207
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
On another US sports service I also like ESPN's multicast feature, if you want two or more games on at a time it looks very handy.
I personally have one game on my main TV and another on with the sound down on my Microsoft Surface in the background, but if I didn't have this option I'd make use of multicast quite frequently.

When you use US streaming services it makes you realise how inept our offerings are!
Yes absolutely i forgot about ESPN and yet i watch the EFL on it lol, i do the same have the main match i wish to watch on my big tv and another match on my windows tablet.
Old 29-11-2017, 18:41   #208
buckeye
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
i do the same have the main match i wish to watch on my big tv and another match on my windows tablet.
This can be very handy at times, the weekend before last I had some friends round for a Chelsea game that wasn't on British TV,
one who is a rugby fan too and was a little ungrateful complained he was missing the England-Australia game, I plonked my Surface in front of him showing that game via Now TV and as he's also quite IT illiterate he was amazed he could watch both at once.
Last Saturday it proved useful again, I got in from work and put the Liverpool-Chelsea game on via BT Sports on my TV and had my second sporting love The Ohio State Buckeyes big game of the season playing on the Surface (As college football takes so damn long to complete I actually managed to watch the whole second half on the TV after the Liverpool-Chelsea game ended lol).

P.S. don't hate me for being born into a Chelsea supporting family, trust me we've seen more bad times than good times!

P.P.S. Let me publicly thank theone2k10 for some information he PM'd me several months ago, this has been invaluable to keep my services running, since Windows updated itself and for reasons probably only known to Bill Gates my virtual router stopped working, but a part of the info supplied has let me continue using the US services my very good friend across the pond has shared with me.
Old 29-11-2017, 20:16   #209
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
This can be very handy at times, the weekend before last I had some friends round for a Chelsea game that wasn't on British TV,
one who is a rugby fan too and was a little ungrateful complained he was missing the England-Australia game, I plonked my Surface in front of him showing that game via Now TV and as he's also quite IT illiterate he was amazed he could watch both at once.
Last Saturday it proved useful again, I got in from work and put the Liverpool-Chelsea game on via BT Sports on my TV and had my second sporting love The Ohio State Buckeyes big game of the season playing on the Surface (As college football takes so damn long to complete I actually managed to watch the whole second half on the TV after the Liverpool-Chelsea game ended lol).

P.S. don't hate me for being born into a Chelsea supporting family, trust me we've seen more bad times than good times!

P.P.S. Let me publicly thank theone2k10 for some information he PM'd me several months ago, this has been invaluable to keep my services running, since Windows updated itself and for reasons probably only known to Bill Gates my virtual router stopped working, but a part of the info supplied has let me continue using the US services my very good friend across the pond has shared with me.
I know very well about more bad times than good times being a Wolves fan.

You are most welcome, glad i could help
Old 30-11-2017, 11:46   #210
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Although this sounds exciting, I wonder if, in reality, this is a last ditch attempt to save broadcast linear TV? If so, it looks to me as if the broadcasters are going all out to preserve the existing balance for as long as possible.

Of course, the BBC, with their more successful i-Player and no need to rely on advertising, are not involved with this and no doubt will be concentrating on developing their player into a Netflix-like service and launching UHD.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...g-tv-festival/

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...tmas-box-sets/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 30-11-2017 at 11:52.
Closed Thread