Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 09-11-2017, 19:44   #151
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yep strange that bit was missing from his post.
Hold on, I was talking about the UHD content! And where have I ever said that the BBC will bring UHD to our screens 'over the air'? In short, never.

What I've said is the UHD is most likely to be delivered via the i-Player, and in fact I have seen the first pictures already in UHD on the i-Player. I also said that given the World Cup UHD feed will most likely be delivered by that method, the Beeb will probably make that available to the British audience, but not on a UHD broadcast channel.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2017, 21:21   #152
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

MTV have made a Live UHD feed available on Sky Q of the MTV EMA 2017 tonight not sure if it's also being carried on Virgin.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 00:22   #153
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
MTV have made a Live UHD feed available on Sky Q of the MTV EMA 2017 tonight not sure if it's also being carried on Virgin.

Dream on
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:09   #154
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Is it being streamed or carried as a broadcast channel?

I don't think we'regetting UHD on Virgin (except through Netflix and YouTube) until 2018, from what I can gather.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:38   #155
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It was broadcast , it had a prompt on the HD channel saying press select to view in UHD.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:14   #156
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It was broadcast , it had a prompt on the HD channel saying press select to view in UHD.
Will still be a stream though.

DVB UHD-1 was only completed as a standard earlier this year:
https://www.v-net.tv/2017/03/03/prem...ext-gen-audio/

And I've not seen anything to say that any broadcaster has launched support for it yet.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:23   #157
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

And I've not seen anything to say that any broadcaster has launched support for it yet.
If as I think you are referring to an internet stream then no it certainly wasn't , Sky Sports broadcasts Premier League matches nearly every week using satellite they also do the same for the F1.

This is the beauty of UHD on Sky unlike BT's product it doesn't impact your broadband speed.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:34   #158
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think we'regetting UHD on Virgin (except through Netflix and YouTube) until 2018, from what I can gather.
Reality strikes at last l see.
Old 13-11-2017, 13:42   #159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Reality strikes at last l see.
While I was thinking that this year was a possibility, I think it has always been more likely to be 2018, Den.

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Is that what's holding up the launch of UHD on Virgin Media, Ben? Or is it just the lack of material UHD material?

It's a bit frustrating for those of us with UHD TVs!
Old 13-11-2017, 13:49   #160
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

UHD broadcasts are already being done however both BT and Sky currently don't include HDR.

This is an interesting read
Old 13-11-2017, 14:08   #161
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
While I was thinking that this year was a possibility, I think it has always been more likely to be 2018, Den.

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Is that what's holding up the launch of UHD on Virgin Media, Ben? Or is it just the lack of material UHD material?

This will always be a problem and l think you are starting to realise that.
Old 13-11-2017, 14:16   #162
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This will always be a problem and l think you are starting to realise that.
There is more and more UHD content coming all the time. Netflix , Amazon , Sky , BT , Apple , Google to name but a few.
Old 13-11-2017, 14:26   #163
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
There is more and more UHD content coming all the time. Netflix , Amazon , Sky , BT , Apple , Google to name but a few.
OB was talking about UHD Linear channels l believe and we certainly won't be getting any of them MM.
Old 13-11-2017, 14:44   #164
jj20x

Quote:
It's going to be interesting, as one "standard" is introduced another one goes into development, offering an endless upgrade path for broadcasters and consumers alike.

A nice summary of the development path can be found here: https://www.dvb.org/resources/public...ing_in_uhd.pdf

Quote:
Aha! but which flavour of UHD TV? Many have been around for quite a while now.

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/everyb...-one-just-yet/
Old 13-11-2017, 16:29   #165
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
OB was talking about UHD Linear channels l believe and we certainly won't be getting any of them MM.
No, I wasn't, Den, I was talking about UHD content.

I am not fixated on linear channels, as you well know by now.