Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22   #751
mhisani
Inactive

Services: VM 30mbit superhub.
mhisani is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Last couple of weeks had really bad pings online and Virgin sent round an engineer who put an attenuator on the end of the cable to correct the too strong signal and that works but in the evening the connection gets horrible and they say nothing is wrong.

Here's my ping monitor

Cambridge - Trumpington CB2
mhisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 11:36   #752
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhisani View Post
Last couple of weeks had really bad pings online and Virgin sent round an engineer who put an attenuator on the end of the cable to correct the too strong signal and that works but in the evening the connection gets horrible and they say nothing is wrong.

Here's my ping monitor

Cambridge - Trumpington CB2
VM either lie about utilisation or their thresholds need reviewing, as clearly the method they determine if utilisation is acceptable is not adequate.

I have 3 attenuators, I have toyed around with my power levels from as low as about -5 up to about +12. The entire range has no noticeable affect on jitter, the only affect it seems to have is on T3 timeouts and on throughput, higher speeds seem easier to achieve when the power level is higher.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:07   #753
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Chrysalis - you can read the community thread that documents the history of this here - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../773141#M81219

I'm now not sure what to do. Given the HR Dis fault on the phone line which I imagine will remain the same if I get it reconnected I face weeks of hassle if I move to ADSL. I need to keep the Vonage VOIP til April sometime anyhow or pay a disconnection charge. Infinity isn't scheduled until December 2012 and of course I've no guarantee that my cab would be upgraded anyway. I would like faster than 10Mbps so I may just risk an upgrade to 30 unless they try on the £30 activation charge which I certainly won't be paying as all it needs is a config change.

There is some upstream congestion evident even at 10am on a Sunday...

Mine today just above 1/10th speed.

Also here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ght/false#M777

My fault mysteriously vanished, coincidence?

A new one raised now.
Old 11-12-2011, 18:09   #754
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I've decided on my course of action now - sit out my wait for Infinity on 10Mbps. I will leave VM as soon as I can regardless of what happens in the interim (speed doubling, tripling, or even rising to Gigabit+ and/or prices falling to £5 a month) as so far as I'm concerned they have now clearly shown that marketing is king and customers come nowhere.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 21:01   #755
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

here is mine

weirdly thinkbroband always says i have 10mb conenction never 50mb but other speed test site report it closer to 50mb
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 21:21   #756
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've decided on my course of action now - sit out my wait for Infinity on 10Mbps. I will leave VM as soon as I can regardless of what happens in the interim (speed doubling, tripling, or even rising to Gigabit+ and/or prices falling to £5 a month) as so far as I'm concerned they have now clearly shown that marketing is king and customers come nowhere.
I agree it is complete idiocy and a lack of responsibility what they doing.

Oddly enough latency remains tolerable, even with this congestion I got now ssh is ok to use. However browsing is noticebly slow, iplayer doesnt work, youtube is poor, downloading is painful, even streaming radio doesnt work properly.

VMs congestion relief I expect to be some form of drip feed, maybe an extra downstream channel for a massive whopping 25% upgrade, or a reseg with an existing neighboured heavily utilised port. Whilst the reality is many multiples of existing capacity need to be added to my port. I honestly feel when they do congestion relief they dont do any real assessment or monitor the effect of what they do, they rather seem to have a set procedure which they carry out eg. moving users to another segment even if that segment has no spare capacity. Its already clear they dont do any proactive monitoring and upgrades by the number of posts on their forums that tech support staff have to start upgrade work based on customer feedback.

All in all I have approx 8 years of experience with ntl (VM) now. The vast majority of those 8 years has been under at least moderate congestion. To me its a chronic problem they have. Both my sisters have congestion as well, both in different areas, so all 3 of us on different segments to each other. Granted their's isnt as severe as mine but is bad enough to be what I consider excessive.
Old 12-12-2011, 13:49   #757
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
My exchange is now FE status

Future exchange with no estimated date other than the year which is 2012

So which will come first.

Infinity, or congestion relief (proper relief).

I will be off as soon as available. So maybe the planned congestion relief is do nothing and speeds will improve when there is mass emigration to FTTC.
Old 12-12-2011, 14:47   #758
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I really never thought that the day would come when I'd be keen to take a BT broadband product but with a duff phone line and oversubscribed VM area the only light at the end of the tunnel for me is Infinity - still showing as due December 2012. It will be just my luck if the duff joint causing my ADSL problems lies in the bit between my local cabinet and the house.

Another light use 24 hours - 189MB down 195MB up

The thing that amazes me after seeing some of these graphs is that folks seem to stick it out despite what must surely be abysmal performance.

Upstream congestion present..

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
So maybe the planned congestion relief is do nothing and speeds will improve when there is mass emigration to FTTC.
That will certainly happen but I suspect Traffic Management Mark II is what they'll be pinning their hopes on. It's virtually guaranteed that if it actually works it will cause a lot more complaints than the wretched Superhub ever did. If it doesn't work then I can't see the shareholders wanting to put the sort of investment in place that the marketing department are making necessary.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 16:09   #759
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Something interesting going on on my Sky ADSL 2+ line, either I've been put on fastpath (as requested), or the IP addy has been renewed and I'm now looking at someone else's line.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 16:56   #760
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Kwikbreaks thats my concern also, as when I cancelled adsl I still had issues on the line. My opinion was tho the duff part was not local to me. I also had a neighbour who had some interfering equipment who has now luckily moved out tho. I am hoping that the cable run to the cabinet will be short enough that there will be excessive signal strength to buffer such issues if they still exist. However thats less likely now that BT are planning to bump speeds form 40 to 80mbit meaning the line will likely be running to limit.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Something interesting going on on my Sky ADSL 2+ line, either I've been put on fastpath (as requested), or the IP addy has been renewed and I'm now looking at someone else's line.

that still looks way too high for fast path. Also unless sky have changed policy they wont do fast path, instead they have a gamers profile which is a low interleaving depth.
Old 12-12-2011, 17:06   #761
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Iv'e just come off (a few days ago) a "gamers profile" because it was crapper than the crap in crapsville. I'm at the end of a long line so even when I was on FP it looked similar to the above dude.

Your quite right about Sky and fastpath, as I was told they don't do it, but given the ammount of complaining I've done, I thought they may have made an exception.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

It's probably just an IP swap
Old 13-12-2011, 09:28   #762
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post

Confirmed it to be an IP change, as someone at Sky has decided to put me back on a gamer profile and back on DLM ah well let's see what the next 10 days have install for me, but oddly enough I had some of the best gaming ever last night even though my line speed was down to just 2Mbps downstream and 0.4Mbps Up .
Old 14-12-2011, 16:37   #763
Radeon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 100mb
Radeon is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what my graph on 100mb looks like 99% of the time

Super Hub in modem only mode connected to a WNDR3700 router.

Radeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:56   #764
Mr.A.2009
Inactive

Mr.A.2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Huge improvement over the last few graphs I've posted on here.
Mr.A.2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:08   #765
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radeon View Post
This is what my graph on 100mb looks like 99% of the time

Super Hub in modem only mode connected to a WNDR3700 router.

That's probably the best TBB result I've ever seen on a VM line, it must be nice when you can get it that good.

Just out of curiosity what area are you from,,,,,,,,

Oh and would you like a neighbour