Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 08-03-2011, 16:07   #31
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Yep, and I'll have egg on my face if the results are comparable.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2011, 17:08   #32
amgard
Inactive

Services: Tivo-XL, BB-XL, Pnone-XL, VM Mobile x 2, Topfield 5800 Freeview
amgard is on a distinguished roadamgard is on a distinguished road

in Oxfordshire:-

amgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 20:35   #33
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Not VM, obviously.

Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 21:50   #34
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Just throwing in another Q+A

Q. what's happening to the packets in the yellow sections to cause the increased latency?

I know I could probably just Google it but in the interest of keeping momentum

A. Laymans terms on a postcard if you please
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 21:51   #35
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Damn, what happened at breakfast time yesterday?
Attached Images
File Type: png f64f11b1b2884450ac7a4e414d049e7a-07-03-2011.png (101.5 KB, 38 views)
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 22:07   #36
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Damn, what happened at breakfast time yesterday?
Too many speedtest.net freaks getting their early morning fix of bandwidth
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53   #37
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Not VM, obviously.

I wonder which one you use for gaming
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49   #38
fragless
Inactive

Services: 120mb BB
fragless is on a distinguished roadfragless is on a distinguished road

Blackburn with Darwen
fragless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57   #39
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
I wonder which one you use for gaming
The spikes are from where the connection was being used at the time of the test - we do a fair bit of streaming.

Other than that, as you can possibly see, smooth as a baby's behind.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Quote:
Just throwing in another Q+A

Q. what's happening to the packets in the yellow sections to cause the increased latency?

I know I could probably just Google it but in the interest of keeping momentum

A. Laymans terms on a postcard if you please
They're having to queue up somewhere along the line, that's all. No different from extra latency getting to the bar on a Friday evening compared with a Wednesday afternoon
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 14:02   #40
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think I got all you bitches beat.

I think that was a pretty average day; some streaming from iPlayer, a little low-speed P2P and moderate web browsing. Nothing too heavy. I'm very impressed considering that's the DOCSIS1 line: I know most of my neighbours on VM are still using their old Ambit 250 modems.

Shortly I have to drop in the Super Hub, don't I? Boy am I NOT looking forward to that.

EDIT: The red bar is when I disconnected modem and router. Changed from live updated PNG to static JPG hosted on Flickr (PhotoBucket was down at the time).
Old 09-03-2011, 15:25   #41
pabscars
Inactive

Not too shabby zeke, not too shabby, and surprisingly linear with not much of a peak time increase at all.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Mine from yesterday
Old 09-03-2011, 15:39   #42
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Not too shabby zeke, not too shabby, and surprisingly linear with not much of a peak time increase at all.
It's alright, eh? I think this is partly because although there are a fair few people on my local uBR, they're mostly 10Mb customers (free upgrade from 2Mb, I guess) and all they do is light web browsing, leaving me free to get an excellent service regardless of time of day or services used. See, I love the fiber optic backbone in my area (50Mb capable), but I don't love the Super Hub.

Talking of which, the Super Hub is running now. The live update is below. It stopped responding to WAN pings about five minutes after it was installed so needed what I assume will be the first of many reboots. It didn't like me using the secondary router as DHCP server either... god this thing is awful.

Old 09-03-2011, 15:48   #43
pabscars
Inactive

I haven't had to reboot mine once, in fact not for a few days now since I started using the Think Broadband Monitor oddly enough.
Old 09-03-2011, 16:06   #44
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I haven't had to reboot mine once, in fact not for a few days now since I started using the Think Broadband Monitor oddly enough.
Huh. Perhaps the firmware is so bad that constant WAN pings help keep it stable? I doubt that's true, but if it is... wow that's poor.
Old 09-03-2011, 16:19   #45
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Chrys seems to have problems with the ping not responding after a few minutes/hours too
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote