Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 29-05-2012, 15:35   #1501
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

I'll mull it over qas and get back to you, it shouldn't upset the settling in period should it?

Re: Router, Yes as you suspected I'm using the supplied router although I would like to change it at some point to a more configurable one but for now I will leave it alone as it's responding to pings ok.

I was a little concerned about the number of speed related complaints about Sky's new fibre offering but I believe that's just a glitch rather than a capacity issue, plus Sky are aware of it and working on a fix.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2012, 16:17   #1502
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No, shouldn't affect anything, it's only an extra 4 packets per second (downloading a file at 40mbps is 3500 packets per second) so the load should be negligible.

Yeah I'm guessing it's a glitch (just like the 80/10 people on BT) but it's one of those odd ones where nobody will admit what the actual problem is.

Note that Sky use MER, so its hard(er) to use your own router, Openwrt/DDWRT/pfsense apparently support it (with some tweaking) but the majority of standard routers won't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 22:30   #1503
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Duly noted squire
Old 30-05-2012, 12:42   #1504
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Again, not sure if this is a result of the upgrade work, but for the most part, i can now actually enjoy a game at some point after midnight.

I played Black Ops for the first time in a year and enjoyed a portion of it, although i was having little jumps of lag every now and then, which may or may not have been due to a rubbish host.

FIFA is still touch and go, but during the times of minimal jitter ive been able to actually play the game without wanting to post Anthrax to Virgin Media's headquarters.

boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:55   #1505
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Mine and my brothers is truly awful and virgin just say its a area fault when i ring. Been happening for a month now

Mine

My Brothers on same green cab

Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:02   #1506
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

That looks like a local network noise problem.
Old 30-05-2012, 16:49   #1507
bjq1972
Inactive

bjq1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody know what could be causing this? My connection has been poor since I was upgraded to 60Mb last month. I'm using the Superhub in Modem Mode with a Linksys E3200 Router. Are the spikes likely to be caused by the Linksys?

Packet loss around 7am is due to a reboot. I haven't used the internet since setting up the monitor in order to try to establish a baseline (apart from a little bit of multiplayer Mario tennis at around 11pm).
bjq1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:55   #1508
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

bloody hell
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 19:07   #1509
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Those spikes look like usage. Do you have anything connected to or plugged into the router? If so, unplug/disconnect it. Any device on your network could be virused up and doing that.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

So pabscars, got a speedtest.net result?
Old 30-05-2012, 20:28   #1510
pabscars
Inactive

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...866&v=15950933

Speedtest.net has been giving me inconsistent results but the BB Max test (see linky above) has been rock solid showing full speed on every test thus far

enjoy
Old 30-05-2012, 20:31   #1511
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

what about www.speedtester.bt.com
Old 30-05-2012, 20:43   #1512
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Download Speed (Mbps): 40.15
Upload Speed (Mbps): 1.65
Ping Latency (ms): 41.25
Old 30-05-2012, 20:47   #1513
thenry
Inactive

clearly getting what your paying for then
Old 30-05-2012, 22:01   #1514
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Possible timing errors aside (or the BT speedtester being off whack) this confirms Sky's service is in fact faster than BT Infinity, as Sky does not impose the 96.8% IP profile limiter that BT does.

So while BT 40mb "is really" up to 38(.72)mbps, Sky's 40mb "is really" up to 40.

Course the difference is a few percent either way, and there's the 80% slower upload to consider, but still interesting to know.

That'd also suggest the 80/20 service on Sky would actually run at 80mbps rather than BT's 77.43mbps.
Old 31-05-2012, 00:44   #1515
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

All these spikes are really starting to become a serious problem.

I think I'm going to have to switch providers if it carries on like this...

Last Thursday was especially bad: